Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Dino 246 Builds and Discussion

Dino 246 Builds and Discussion Da da da da daaa daa da da, ohoho Dino

Old 8th November 2009, 09:00

dino_gt is on a distinguished road
Default Deon Registration

Hello everybody;

I have a Dino Replica made by Deon that is registered on the v5 as a Lancia Beta with a VIN that comes from this lancia beta which i think was the donor car, when this kit car was made. I also have seen other kit cars registered as lancias, for example stratos replicas, which were using the beta´s or thema´s VIN. it seemed possible and legal at that time, as these cars are on the road, but, wouldn´t it be a problem to have a car registered this way today?...

also, if you go abroad and pretend to register the car there, there could be problems, as all they see on the v5 is the identity of what they could think is another car...

so, is it possible to make changes on a v5 to show it as a kitcar on it?...can the DVLA certify somehow that the car is a kit car if you take it abroad?...

anyone in the same situation?,are all your registrations under a kit car manufacturer name and VIN?...

i´d appreciate any help or information, as i´m probably going abroad, and i´m trying to get all these things a little bit clear.

thank you very much.
Available from eBay
Old 9th November 2009, 07:19

chrislandy is on a distinguished road

The rules might have changed since, but if you can prove the build date was pre SVA e.g. with mot certs saying dino or deon etc on it then you can get then name on the V5 changed
Old 9th November 2009, 14:43

OK, thank you very much for your reply...
you mean that i can change:
MAKE: DINO
MODEL:246GT
Is that correct?....
what about the VIN?...has to remain the same (donor lancia beta) in my case on v5?...
have you made any of these changes yourself?...

thanks...
Old 9th November 2009, 14:53

Tis best to ring the DLVA and ask them, I haven't done it myself as I went the "current registration" route but as the DVLA have changed the rules over the years so have an amnesty route if YOU can prove the car was built pre regulation change. the vin/chassis no usually stays the same, just the name/make/model changes
Old 9th November 2009, 15:26

ok, understood

i´ll do that, thanks for your help.
Old 11th November 2009, 20:42

mac is on a distinguished road
Default Lancia Beta/Dino GT Registration

Hi, I have a Dino replica with a Lancia Beta donor car. It was built in 1989 and the V5 says it is a Lancia Beta and the body style says Sport. I was a bit worried about this so I contacted the DVLA. They said to send all the details and they would change the V5, so I sent them copies of the build of the car, all the receipts for the build, MOT,s dating back to 1990 and photos of the car. After about 8 weeks I got back a new V5 but with no changes to any of the details and a letter saying they had made a note on their records of the fact that it is now a kitcar but didn't see any need to change the details on the V5. So a waste of time and effort really,but I have heard that it pretty much depends on who gets to deal with your enquiry.I had the car examined by VOSA soon after I got it and they didn't seem concerned that it was still registered as a Lancia. If you go ahead and contact the DVLA let me know how you get on.
Regards Mac.
Old 11th November 2009, 20:54

thank you for your reply mac...
my problem is the country where i pretend to register the car...if the v5 would say deon kit car or something like that, it would be much better...
one question: did you have to send them the v5?
did they ask to check/inspect the car to change the name on the v5? or just to send copies of the documents such as receipts of your build, etc...
my v5 says model/type: beta sedan
and body type: sports
maybe it could be possible to remove sedan at least!!...
i´ll let you know what i find out about all this...
Old 12th November 2009, 08:50

Default Lancia/Dino Registration

Hi, Yes I did send them the V5. It was strange really because I spoke to them on the phone and they told me to send the V5 and copies of the documents along with pictures of the car as it looks now after the build. They did not want to see the car in person or to inspect it. The new V5 which they sent to me had no changes on it at all, it still says Beta Sedan Sports. I have heard of other people who have had thier V5 changed to the name of the kit so I think that it just depends on who deals with the paperwork at the DVLA.

Best Regards Mac.
Old 22nd November 2009, 08:27

Default deon registration

Hello mac;

i´ve contacted a guy who has helped another deon owner in the same situation, that is currently waiting for the changed V5 to come back from the DVLA.

This guy seems to really know about this changes, says he´s got all the blank forms to do it, etc, (used to work for the DVLA). The only thing he´s telling me is that DVLA will want to see the car for identification purposes.
I have his e-mail if you´re interested in contacting him.

Unfortunately for me, i don´t think i´m going to be able to wait for this identification, because i need to export the car soon, so what i´m planning to do is use the registration as it is now (lancia), and try to work it out somehow when i get to my home country.

In order to do that, i´d like to know if you´re in the same situation as i am, so;

could you tell me what is the date of first registration in the uk of your car?

you´ve been driving the car, insured, passing mot, etc, since 1989 under this lancia registration, right?

you´ve never had a problem because of that registration, even with the insurance company, so it is perfectly legal...isn´t it?

Also, if you have one of these DEON build manuals or any other information from DEON i could use in the future to prove what it is, could you please send it to me?...because i don´t have anything now, and i can´t contact the previous owner by now...

Thanks for your help.
Old 24th November 2009, 12:44

If you take the paperwork into a local dvla office you can usually get the paperwork sorted that day, then the inspection can be arrainged. My inspection date was only a week after I'd got the paperwork sorted
Old 24th November 2009, 15:04

Sorry; didn´t you go the "current registration"...or you did change the V5?
Old 24th November 2009, 15:28

I went the current reg route, but you will find the dvla is a lot quicker if you go to the local offices, if an inspection is required and you are there, you can usually pick the inspection day
Old 24th November 2009, 15:31

ok, thanks
Old 13th December 2009, 21:56

Diabloman is on a distinguished road

Anyone out there know of a Deon for sale,just shell or unfinished project? I have just bought a Karma but would like a Deon as well,also does anyone know who has the moulds for the Deon,i am willing to pay good price,all repies answered...
Old 29th December 2009, 01:03

vrodmuscle68 is on a distinguished road

hi my name is mike and i just purchaced a ferrari dino 246 gt replica im trying to find out more about the car were the vin numbers might be or a builder number , bought the car cause it was diffrent it is a front engine chassis with a big block chevy motor ford 9 inch rear end with 456 gears 2 speed power glide transmission any help would be appreciated
Old 29th December 2009, 10:31

Diabloman is on a distinguished road
Default Hey There

Hi, is the JHD DINO for sale? Got some neat cars here for swap inc a Karma, or cash??
Old 29th December 2009, 10:41

Default 246 GT Replica

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the forum. What make is your replica ?
I haven't come across a front wheel drive Dino replica before. Is it a British car like the Deon or is it a Kelmark. From the sounds of the power plant it's fitted with I would say your in the USA ?
If the car has a new purpose made chassis it probably wont be stamped with a VIN Number but there should be a chassis number with any receipts from the company who built it, however if its been built on a donor chassis then you will need to find out what the donor was which will give you an idea of where to look for the VIN. Is there no mention of a VIN etc on the registration documents.

Good Luck
Mac.
Old 17th November 2010, 03:51

hotrodgt40 is on a distinguished road

hi mac i didnt get any info with the car i bought it from a bails bondsman my ex wife traded it for a saturn and 4 yrs later i ene
ded up with it again the fiberglass body was fitted on a tube race chassis it is rear wheel drive engine is in the front
Old 17th November 2010, 03:52

i also didnt know what i i had till i found this site there are no other sites that ive found that have a picture of it
Old 17th November 2010, 03:54

oh mac im not sure what make i think it is a 246 gt it has a small wrap around rear window and 2 rear compartments i wish i could send you a picture to help with figuring out what i do have