Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 18th September 2005, 18:37
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

Another week end another few bits and pieces done. The fuel tank is mounted, the brake pipes are back from our local garage flared, the steering rack is nicely in placed with the column in a trial position. 4 meters of vinyl from Marlin are on their way to Cobra seats for a set of custom Roadster 7 to be made up.

We're having some fun with the radiator. We've established that is a BMW rad from Marlin but we've got no idea how to mount it. The brackets from Marlin don't seem to work with the rad, further conversations with Marlin will be need to figure this one out! One thing that is certain is that the stock water pipes are not all the right length to work with the new radiator. So custom ones will need to be ordered.

Today's pictures:

Old 1st October 2005, 17:14
Enthusiast

A short update:

We have taken the engine out to do some work that can not be done while its in place. This includes the radiator mounting, clutch pipe, brake pipes and fuel pipes. Fuel pipes still need to be done but the rest is complete. The radiator is now in place along with all the brake and clutch pipes. We have made our own mounts for the radiator as the Marlin ones wouldn't work with electric fan - not enough room for it. There are pictures of the Marlin mounts and our custom ones on the construction section.

A lot of new parts through including a full set of disks and pads, alternator mounting bracket, Z4 3.0ltr shift level, and various O rings for the engine all from motormec.co.uk. Also in fuel pipe, battery clamp, kill switch, light switch, and various other bits from Car Builder Solutions (nfauto.co.uk). We''ve got to be almost there for parts now!

Finally a comparison between shift levels original on the bottom, Z3 1.9 in the middle and Z4 3.0ltr (early model part number) at the top. The Z4 has the shortest shift of all of them.

Old 18th October 2005, 23:33
Enthusiast

Small update today:

Installed the fuel lines so the car's ready to have the engine put back in. Also recieved the seats from Cobra and the intake system:

Old 30th October 2005, 14:33
Enthusiast

Put the E36 wheels with Bridgestone RE720's on this weekend. The clearance at the back is now much better with the stud adapters. They look good too! Rain has stop us taking the car outside to get good pictures.

Also now under construction an adpater plate to fit the steering column. The steering feels very good even on the spot.

Old 3rd November 2005, 18:54
Enthusiast

3 Empty bottle of gear/diff oil! Changed the oil in the LSD and the gearbox today. 3ltrs was just enough. It came down to the last few ml!

Also test fitted the prop shaft. Fits nicely and loads of room for the gear lever linkages.

Also taken out the pedal box to spray the metal underneath. Going to bend the brake pedal into a better place while its out.
Old 3rd November 2005, 21:38
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Hi Patrick,

where did you get your propshaft?

Are you using the 'rubber doughnut' between the gearbox and the propshaft?

regards

Peter
Old 3rd November 2005, 22:19
Enthusiast

Hi Peter, the propshaft is from Marlin made to specification. Unfortunatly it wont adjust far enough for the rubber doughnut - it gets longer but not shorter. I might need to have a chat with Terry about it. However seeing as its new and balanced I dont think it will be a problem (I hope anyway!)
Old 9th November 2005, 21:26
Enthusiast

Brakes installed at the weekend. I've only just got around taking pictures! The clock turned up as well today. Unfortunatly it does not match any of the rest of the dials we already have. So I'm going to have to send it back.
Old 19th November 2005, 14:54
Enthusiast

After a bit of break working on the car the handbrake system is coming together this weekend. Two bolts serve as ends for the handbrake cable attached:

Old 5th December 2005, 19:46
Enthusiast

Slightly off topic, but I thought I would see what the BMC airbox sounds like that I bought for the Sportster. So I hooked it up to my daily driver this weekend for a laugh! Here's the results:

Click to download (1.8Mb) - Xvid

On the Sportster I will be using the cold air feed pipe with will reduce the noise a little bit - but will get nice cold air in the engine!

I didnt go for a drive because of the 'mad max' style installation!
Old 11th December 2005, 18:23
Enthusiast

The stock exhaust is a two part system. Today we test fitted the manifold and first part to see if the steering column clear it. It does which it good! Seems the issue with the steering column is that the hole in the bulk head is in the wrong place. If its moved over then the steering column will bolt on to the mount without an adapter plate.

We'll get a custom exhaust made anyway so its less of an issue!

In a strange twist the postman showed up today, Sunday! The replacment clock from Marlin arrived, this one now matches the rest. They look really good all lined up together.

Old 11th December 2005, 21:33
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Hi Patrick,

that's good news about the exhaust manifold.

I just noticed that there is a new Marlin price list on their website that lists a Sportster E30 manifold and exhoust system for £775, ouch!

I am planning on a diy exhaust system to start with, but i'm not sure how easy this is going to be

I have bought the fuel swirl pot and both high and low pressure fuel pumps, so will persist with this design.

It will be interesting to compare results.

best regards

peter
Old 11th December 2005, 21:43
Enthusiast

Hi Peter,

I recon that for that sort of money I can get an exhaust made to my specification which it why I've not signed up for the Marlin one as I want to get some quote else where first.

I might go Robin's route and use 1 fuel pump and get a baffle put in the tank.
Old 21st December 2005, 12:00
Enthusiast

GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road

Patrick - rewinding your build a bit:

The paint you used on the engine block - high temp resistant, obviously, but is it especially for aluminium? I was led to believe that painting alu was a pain in the ass...
Old 21st December 2005, 12:07
Enthusiast

I used this stuff:

http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp?productID=8763

I was just going to paint the block, but ended up doing the sump as well which is the only ali bit i painted.

As for the rocker cover and intake manifold I use a spray can of UHT stain black. I think it was a can of this stuff: http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp?productID=8219
Old 21st December 2005, 13:23
Enthusiast

GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road

From you answer, I assume that the block is cast iron - I had got it into my head that it was aluminium.

What a school boy error...
Old 21st December 2005, 13:33
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatOldOne
From you answer, I assume that the block is cast iron - I had got it into my head that it was aluminium.

What a school boy error...
Yeah the M20 is iron. I did some wire brush work to remove the rust and the did the final clean up with: http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp?productID=8229
Old 30th December 2005, 18:27
Enthusiast

The holiday season has given us time to sit next to the car and think about how and where to run things. The intake is going to be a rather interesting one. I'll let the pictures do the talking once all the bits turn up from Rally Design.

Ordered are silicon hoses, ducts, oil cooler and pipes. After further consideration we're moving the rad further forward, placing the oil cooler in front and getting a "sucker" fan instead. The current position places the rad too close to the engine for me to be comfortable with.

Also up for work is the steering column. After enlarging the hole on the bulk head we were able to mount it using the bracket already in the car. However after spending some time sitting in the driver seat we both agreed we didn't like the alignment and have decided to customise it. Using the brake we already made and the now enlarged hole I think we have a steering position that suits our personal taste.

The brake pedal - after several hours of going nowhere trying to bend it, it's time to call in a professional. This stuff is too thick for our weedy gas burner and vice to bend.

The Rally Design order came today, so we've been able to start putting the intake together!

Here are some pictures:

Oil cooler

Intake system

Steering column bracket test fit
Old 2nd January 2006, 19:06
Enthusiast

I spent a little time today revising the layout of the intake, its now shorter and less complex. The shelving rail and brackets need replacing with something a bit better :

Old 5th January 2006, 08:35
Enthusiast

The oil & water unions are here! What I didnt realise is that the T piece had the right thread for the oil pressure sensor so I have one too many bits. Anyway on to the important stuff:

Installation:

Parts: