Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Seven Style builds

Seven Style builds Westfields, Caterham, Dax Rush, Luego, Robin Hood, Tiger, Locust, MK, RAW, Quantum, you name it, you're building it, share it here.

Old 22nd February 2007, 22:33
Big Cheese

JG has disabled reputation
Question Bonnet flying up at speed

Just had this e-mail from a Robin Hood owner. Any owners lurking that might now of any problem like this that the Hood's suffer from or is it just an unfortunate incident....

"Hi there,

I went to collect my Rh 2b from a very reputable garage who built the car for me however I only managed to get 10 miles down the road and the whole front end of the car flew up and crushed me into the cockpit.

The wet weather gear was on and probably acted as a brake and helped save me. I feel very lucky and thankfully no other cars were around when this happened.

All the bonnet clips were in locked in place by the garage and I never touched them especially as I was told I could not access under the hood whilst the wet weather gear was on and I was assured everything was ok.

In fact my only worry was the spongyness of my brake pedal which I called the garage about when I stopped for petrol.

The garage say they have carried out a load test on the locking clips and say that they went up to 3 tons and they did not break

Can anyone explain how this could have happened and what can be done to prevent it happening to anyone else as I am in a lot pain from my injuries and would not want anyone else to suffer.

Personally I think the problem could be down to panel strength and aerodynamics? My speed at the time was just coming up to 60 when this occured

Any help or advice would be most welcome
"
Available from eBay
Old 8th February 2008, 08:33
Kit Car Dreamer

speedtripledan is on a distinguished road
Default killer bonnets

I had the very same thing happen to me last august, I was on the A14 doing 70 mph and my bonnet lifted and pinned me in the car i had to stop blind in the fast lane and end up in the gravel 2 inches from the barrier, how no one went in the back of me i will never know. I ended up with a very swollen left wrist and brushing from shoulder to shoulder across my chest. My bonnet lifted as a result of the bonnet catches working loose on one side and falling off. My car was the last ever "factory built" 2b before RH went bust and miraculously reappeared as GBS. what I have done is completely changed the design it is now a 3 piece bonnet with the scuttle and nose cone bolted to the car and 4 catches holding the rest down I’ve also ditched the screen and weather gear and gone for aero screens, after driving home with the screen missing and a helmet on I realised that the weather gear and screen aren’t worth the hassle I went through heavy rain @ Cambridge and all i had was slightly damp trousers at my pockets when I got home 100 miles later.

I have heard of loads of sevens losing bonnets but they are mostly down to people leaving the catches off, but in the case of the 2b's you are mean't to have a second catch like a production car according to RH (GBS) why did mine not have one ?

It also took RH (GBS) from August to last week to make the new bonnet ! nothing ever happens quick with them.
I now know why its is called an alligator style bonnet not because it looks like one but because it tries to kill you !
Dan
Old 9th February 2008, 20:22
Big Cheese

JG has disabled reputation

Ouch! sounds nasty. Looks like it's something RH owners need to be aware of so glad you've brought it to the forum's attention.

John
Old 5th April 2008, 18:11
Kit Car Dreamer

SteffanHughes is on a distinguished road
Default Robin Hood Bonnet Failure

My garage were servicing a Robin Hood V8 powered seven and the owner, like me an oldie took out the car on test.

Both the owner and the mechanic checked the bonnet locks as part of their routine procedures when servicing before testing cars. I am satisfied the locks were applied correctly.

500 yards down the road the bonnet flew off striking the windscreen and snapping off BOTH screen supports and the complete screen assembly.

The bonnet then struck my pal across the hands on the steering wheel causing very painful injuries.

Clearly there is a real problem here.

This should not happen and there must be a reason relating to the design or construction for such repeated failures.

If the screen had been absent or Aero Screens been fitted I think my pal could have been decapitated.

Damage to the car was minimal anyone got any thoughts as to why this is repeatedly happening.

Incidentally this car is very difficult to drive at speed 75% weight up front sod all grip at rear = over steer which makes a 911 Turbo driven right on the edge in a 360 spin seen docile.
Old 13th August 2008, 01:27

alvin is on a distinguished road

hi (me agn)
with my 2b there is sierra ''round '' type catch and cable type hook as well as 'the usual ' u type clamps on toward the front . hearing of the terrable catastrophies you guys have had let me tell of my mg midget 1098cc.. similar , but the ''hook '' type was missing( i had not noticed),; going up hawks hill in leatherhead.. pre limits..IN 1968.. the complete hood or bonnet flew up ; tearing the ''racing style'' rubber bungey type bonnet clips from thier mounts . completly blind and travelling AT SPEED with my aged mother as navigator it smashed the screen ,damaging the surround beyond repair , spraying glass everywhere.
i was lucky that this 'new-to-me- ' car let me off so easily ... i hit the brakes ( which at that 'new' time wer'nt too good)and came to a halt. thanking CHRIST, for small mercies i tied the bent hood down with rope and gave the car a thourough check out after this , my first drive in MLT 153D
alvin

Last edited by alvin; 13th August 2008 at 01:46.. Reason: typos