Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Closed Thread

Old 20th March 2016, 19:31

IanA is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by casamolino View Post
secondly one for the owner with the removal of the rear silencer does the resultant sound level become tiresome on a long run? (this one for my own benefit!) thanks Geoff .
My Z300S has a large bore stainless steel pipe from the rear of the centre silencer to the wheel arch.

For commuting I have fitted a baffle (4 perforated plates) which does affect performance but makes it more liveable with. Flooring the throttle produces a hiss like a leaking exhaust. There is still a lovely crackle on the overrun however. I usually remove the baffle for shows... I've not used the stereo since I fitted that pipe.
Old 20th March 2016, 19:41

ericholm is on a distinguished road
Talking

Hi,

With the hood down the noise it great, nice pitch and roar when you need it and not intrusive.

With hood up at certain revs (lower) for me there is an annoying drone (must be a frequency thing), however at cruising revs this isn't present, luckily, else I agree it would be difficult. Also with stereo 'on' the exhaust noise at cruising is pretty much reduced to a background noise, with a reasonable volume level engaged on the stereo.

Its personal taste I guess and I want the noise, I want to hear it and have the experience it gives so it feels like I'm driving an old car with a big engine!

Cheers

Last edited by ericholm; 20th March 2016 at 19:49..
Old 20th March 2016, 19:53

IanA is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericholm View Post
Its personal taste I guess and I want the noise, I want to hear it and have the experience it gives so it feels like I'm driving an old car with a big engine!
Got it in one- personal taste. I was lucky enough to get the sound I liked with a simple cranked pipe. The baffle just tones it down a bit. It was the "under-bonnet full of engine" that sold me when I first saw Nick's Z300S at Stoneleigh almost 2 years ago. Had my own within about 6 weeks.
Old 20th March 2016, 21:32

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

I removed the stereo when I did the interior. If you drive with the hood up it can be a bit droney but I rarely have the roof up so am fine. My exhaust has nothing after the cat
Old 21st March 2016, 08:02

casamolino is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubodi Automotive View Post
Hi Geoff
Ive never had a problem with MOT yet but it depends on the tester. I can direct you to the one we use who understands in reality these are not dangerous. If we needed IVA they definitely would not pass.

To the question of noise. I can only speak from my opinion and what I have observed by others. The interesting thing about these BMW sixes is that the sound loud going through the gears or accelerating but when cruising seem almost quiet. Andy (ericholm) was on the fence about building a kit till he followed me in my Kali and he said thats what sold it to him. Incidentally I'm going for a louder, new full stainless, straight through exhaust upgrade on my car at Longlife in a weeks time. I currently have two silencers (if you can call them that).
Bryn Webber, the owner of the grey Koupe, loves his sound so much he just drives it around just to listen to the sound. It's intoxicating. If fact he said his stereo fuse has blown and he has not bothered to replace it! Bless.
Morning Richard than you for the reply , Geoff .
Old 24th March 2016, 20:52
Enthusiast

Nubodi Automotive is on a distinguished road

Today we finished another Koupe. This had a very different spec to the last one! The customer wanted one that looked like the one Chris build last year. Matt black gelcoat and Z4 wheels with modern accessories.

Old 24th March 2016, 20:55
Enthusiast

Interesting mix of old and new (retro I guess). Rat, barn find style but not what we would normally build but it made a change. The customer was very pleased as it was just as he wanted it.

Old 24th March 2016, 21:02
Enthusiast

DaveP is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubodi Automotive View Post
Interesting mix of old and new (retro I guess). Rat, barn find style but not what we would normally build but it made a change. The customer was very pleased as it was just as he wanted it.

Wow that looks just plain mean. Just goes to show what a few design tweaks do. I would normally assume that those wheels wouldn't work. (What size are they and tyres (just being nosey)) But they do in this instance. Glad the owner is pleased. Whe you create something out of the expected genre it must raise concerns whether they be large or small.

Dave
Old 24th March 2016, 21:13
Enthusiast

The wheels are from a BMW Z4 AC Schnitzer. They are 245/35 x 19. We have suggested when they wear out he changes to 50 profile tyres to fill the gap between the arch and the tyre.

I always build a finished car in my head and then do what I can to achieve that goal. Usually it works. When you build to someone else's vision its harder.

Sometimes it comes out better than you imagine, but its rare...Scotts (smash) car is one of those rare builds, I'm genuinely jealous but pleased for him at the same time.
Old 24th March 2016, 21:52

ericholm is on a distinguished road
Smile

Well done Richard and team, another week another finished car to clients spec hats off to you!

Great progress and you must be very pleased, although there are a lot of hardtops being completed at the minute, we need to see more convertibles out there

I saw your pictures of the work of the red interior convertible and love the steering wheel and the centre switches and dials. Wish I was able to fit the rover 75 seats as they were really comfortable. For sure thats going to get a lot of attention at the show make sure you take some lockets with you as you are going to have a sore throat from talking to so many people about it !!

Cheers
Old 25th March 2016, 06:24

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

We have suggested when they wear out he changes to 50 profile tyres to fill the gap between the arch and the tyre.

Just fit some 20 inch wheels!

Last edited by WorldClassAccident; 25th March 2016 at 06:56..
Old 25th March 2016, 07:45
Enthusiast

I think these were the same size, the difference is it was on coil overs and screwed right down to the floor. The customer wanted standard ride comfort.
Old 25th March 2016, 07:49
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericholm View Post
Well done Richard and team, another week another finished car to clients spec hats off to you!

Great progress and you must be very pleased, although there are a lot of hardtops being completed at the minute, we need to see more convertibles out there

I saw your pictures of the work of the red interior convertible and love the steering wheel and the centre switches and dials. Wish I was able to fit the rover 75 seats as they were really comfortable. For sure thats going to get a lot of attention at the show make sure you take some lockets with you as you are going to have a sore throat from talking to so many people about it !!

Cheers
Thanks Andy for the compliments, the next car should be an interesting one and some small interest to you perhaps.

I will post the final pictures of the interior and the total cost.

We are looking forward to Stoneleigh but not the sore throat on Tuesday. Lubrication on Sat and Sun night may help (or not!)
Old 25th March 2016, 17:43

Lucky@LeMans is on a distinguished road

The satin / matt black with big modern alloys really look the part.

Would be great with a V8 of some sort fitted with straight through exhausts!

Nothing like a Ferrari but a stunning look non the less.
Old 30th March 2016, 13:13
Enthusiast

Another happy customer!

Old 30th March 2016, 21:36

Triumph Special is on a distinguished road

Looks great, the wheel/tyre/stance combo is working well here. What are the circular chrome bits on the sills?
Old 30th March 2016, 21:50

redratbike is on a distinguished road

Think they are to imitate the jacking point covers on the real cars
Old 30th March 2016, 21:50
Enthusiast

DaveP is on a distinguished road

Looks excellent - great stance - and wicked in black

Dave
Old 30th March 2016, 22:24

Lucky@LeMans is on a distinguished road

Agreed , the wheels and tyres here look spot on. I think these bolt on wheels look better than the "real" knock on wires featured on the grey coupe that you recently finished. The bolt on wires just fit in the arches as they should.
Old 31st March 2016, 07:42

smash is on a distinguished road

The car is on 30mm lowering Eibach springs. Unfortunately it settled on the 2 hour drive home and is just clipping the front arches under braked turning and the rears under acceleration / bumps.

This is the car as it sits this morning (ignore the glue on the quarterlight post - they were only stuck on just before I picked the car up and the drivers side fell off last night!)

Weird cos it looks like there's plenty of clearance - maybe the dampers are shagged?

The bonnet will only open now with the wheels pointing to the right since it's settled as it's so close - it was fine at Rchards.

I've been round and actually there's a healthy return edge on the front lip so I think I may be able to sort the catching by grinding some off. Other than that maybe stiffer shocks and spring assisters?

The back doesn't have so much jiggle room unfortunately so I might just try spring assisters and see how we go.

I can't actually see where it's rubbing at the mo tho to be fair.

The wheels are proper knock offs not bolt ons (Dayton style)

Next steps then are to:

Sikaflex that trim back on (sorry Richard - I know you hate that stuff!)
Sort wheel interference
Paint the inside of the boot lid (although you don't really see it I don't like raw grp)
Fabricate Alloy mouth (going in Monday)
Fit new seats
Straight through exhaust
Swap the steering wheel out
Sort the wipers out (been a nightmare so far!)
Fabricate rear bumpers and quarterlights (post Stoneleigh)
Extreme valet the grp/paint dust out!

Busy busy busy!!

Last edited by smash; 31st March 2016 at 07:52..
Closed Thread