Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > General Build Chat

General Build Chat Area for general build chat, questions, tips, tricks and progress

Old 31st July 2020, 10:23

SwiftyDS is on a distinguished road
Default GRP Headrest Fairing

I’m trying to find something of similar dimensions to this in GRP for my velomobile project.

Rough dimensions are 700mm long 250-350mm wide and 200-300mm high.

Nothing is coming up when I do searches for the obvious UK kit makers (e.g. Formosa, Tribute) but I did find a Porsche 550 Spyder replica fairing in the US from RustyTubs. Contacted them and waiting for a response, but I did see on their website they are closed until August.

Any ideas where I might find one in the UK or anyone know of one for sale? Condition not really important as happy to tidy it up, fill/fibreglass over it.

Been trying to create a mould of the right shape but my mould making skills don’t seem up to the job!
Available from eBay
Old 31st July 2020, 10:55

kon is on a distinguished road

Have you tried contacting Tribute directly, to see what molds they have kicking around the workshop? Seems like something they'd have.
Old 31st July 2020, 13:10

No Kon - but will drop Chris an email now - thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 14:37

Lucky@LeMans is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftyDS View Post
I’m trying to find something of similar dimensions to this in GRP for my velomobile project.

Rough dimensions are 700mm long 250-350mm wide and 200-300mm high.

Nothing is coming up when I do searches for the obvious UK kit makers (e.g. Formosa, Tribute) but I did find a Porsche 550 Spyder replica fairing in the US from RustyTubs. Contacted them and waiting for a response, but I did see on their website they are closed until August.

Any ideas where I might find one in the UK or anyone know of one for sale? Condition not really important as happy to tidy it up, fill/fibreglass over it.

Been trying to create a mould of the right shape but my mould making skills don’t seem up to the job!
I'm sure Gary at Formosa could help as he offers options for the head fairings on his car.
Old 31st July 2020, 15:28

Thanks - mailed Gary earlier and he’s already come back to me with some options.

The Formosa fairing is too long so Gary is measuring what the height would be for the head part if he lays it up to make it shorter to my 700mm spec. If it’s high enough I can then cap the end of it myself. Fingers crossed
Old 4th August 2020, 22:27

DerbyDreamer is on a distinguished road
Default Got the hump?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftyDS View Post
Thanks - mailed Gary earlier and he’s already come back to me with some options.

The Formosa fairing is too long so Gary is measuring what the height would be for the head part if he lays it up to make it shorter to my 700mm spec. If it’s high enough I can then cap the end of it myself. Fingers crossed
Swifty - I have finally decided to give my Miglia a 'humpectomy'...the extra passenger hump doesn't line up with the seat and is at the wrong angle on the Miglia body. Let me know if it would be useful.

Richard
Old 5th August 2020, 08:03

Thanks Richard - sorry but I’ve already agreed with Gary at Formosa to fabricate me a stand-alone shorter headrest fairing based on the 120GR mould.
Old 5th August 2020, 09:58

DerbyDreamer is on a distinguished road
Default Headrest resolution

That's great news, Swifty! Glad that Gary is able to sort things for you - looking forward to some pictures

Richard

Edit - just found your thread!! Fantastic!

Last edited by DerbyDreamer; 5th August 2020 at 10:05.. Reason: Using my eyes!!