Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 21st December 2015, 21:40

NigelB is on a distinguished road
Default I vote for a hunting ban.

Nothing to do with horses and hounds...........

But a problem I have had ever since I built the car and has just re-appeared recently.

Some of you may remember me talking about my engine hunting at idle. Once I had applied some throttle the engine revs were stable but as soon as I returned to idle, it started to hunt again. And this was no random idle it was consistent between 800 rpm and 3000 rpm at about 20 cycles per minute. I would start the car, stop it, start it again and stop it with no change and then on the next start, with no apparent reason the hunting would stop and everything would be fine. I've checked all around for vacuum leakage and renewed any dodgy rubber hoses etc and I'm fairly confident that it is not that.

I am however becoming more and more confident that it is linked to disconnecting the battery and re-connecting it after a period of a few hours or more. I think it happens less when the battery is only disconnected for a few moments.

I've heard talk before of and ECU 'learning' about the engine settings. Could that be significant and that learning is lost when power is removed. But why would anyone build an ECU with a volatile memory. Is the ECU perhaps losing a reference value from somewhere when it is powered down that has to be re-established over a period of time. And I've recently remembered (Mike) that we hard wired the switched earth to the fuel pump relay and the oxygen sensor when we thought it was wrong that the fuel pumps weren't running when the ignition was on. I think you have reverted to the correct wiring but I have left mine hardwired. So am I getting some earth leakage which is erasing any of the learning or reference values I should have.

All speculation at the moment and I need to restore the wiring to provide a switched earth, but does anyone else have any thought of what may be causing the hunting once the battery is reconnected.

Maybe I don't want to ban it, just fix it.

Many thanks

Nigel
Available from eBay