Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 6th March 2012, 20:07

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

The rear outriggers need to be in pretty much exactly the same place as the old ones or the rear wheels will go out of alignment. I clamped a piece of steel bar onto the chassis in line with the existing rear outrigger before cutting it off and then just pushed the new one up against it. I also measured everything three times before welding the new outrigger in place just to be sure.

The front and middle ones aren't too critical. I'd considered moving the front ones back an inch to allow clearance for taller tyres but I figured that it would open up a large can of worms with body/wheel arch alignment issues, potentially leaving the front wheels too far forward in the front arches.

Anyway, best of luck with it.
Old 7th March 2012, 14:53

AndyP57 is on a distinguished road

After consulting the workshop manual and all measurements, I've a jig in mind fabricated out of ply with parallel marks for all the key points of each outrigger. The top of the chassis is also completely flat from the datum point to just rear of the rear outriggers so I'll start off with the spine upside down, clamp the full set of riggers down and measure the diagonals before tack welding, measure again then go for a full weld on the bottom and up the sides. Only then, flip the chassis and complete the welds at the top.
The last bits of metal should arrive tomorrow so that's my weekend sorted
Old 9th March 2012, 11:40

Default Look ma! No outriggers

In between the rain of the past few days I've been cutting, grinding and cleaning off the remnants of the old outriggers with the following result:

I received the last of my metalwork through parcel post today so I've no excuses (other than the weather and temptation of a beer instead) not to get on and jig up the chassis and get welding. I'll post a photo of my jig once it's strapped in.

Back to work...
Old 9th March 2012, 13:21

tlrtone is on a distinguished road

looking good Andy

All be finished and painted by Monday then
Old 9th March 2012, 18:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrtone View Post
looking good Andy

All be finished and painted by Monday then
...and registered for the road on Tuesday?
Old 11th March 2012, 13:55

Default A thing of beauty

Well it is in the eye of the beholder but one of the great things I like about using the Triumph as a donor is it's modularity. Current vehicle manufacturers are even now trying to put it into their design but Triumph had it over 40 years ago!

Having received three boxes of stripped and powder coated parts, and my order for new bushes, trunnions and bolts etc having arrived, I've been assembling the front suspension units and am mighty pleased with the results. They now look like they have just been put together in the factory which is the look I'm aiming for with all my rebuild.

Unfortunately I'm having to travel this week so it will be towards the end of the week before I have another good session but I'm happy with progress. By the way, the turret colour will give a good hint as to what I've decided on for the body. Pretty close to the original Damson but a 'RAL coded' colour which is easily matched.

Old 11th March 2012, 14:00

By the way, That's my chassis jig they are sitting on. Very simply, it is as wide as the outer edges of the side rails, has a datum marked 1" from the front and then parallel lines for Start of front Outrigger, front mounting hole on side rail, centre line of Centre outrigger and the rear mounting hole on the side rail. The spine will lie top down on it, side rails clamped in place and outrigger pieces put into place before spotting a weld to hold them in position. After measuring a few times, go ahead with the weld in the knowledge that all is straight and the top (when flipped back over) will be level for the floor.
Old 11th March 2012, 14:09

Looking fantastic and what a lovely colour.
Old 11th March 2012, 14:40

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Towed View Post
Looking fantastic and what a lovely colour.

seconded ....the colour is fantastic....we have got a shop opposite us restoring a pre-war Aston Martin and they have just had that painted in an old Rolls Royce colour - its very similar to that and looks the dogs...

I was contemplating painting the Cordite demo that colour instead of the blue/turquoise colour...
Old 11th March 2012, 15:16

RAL 3005 Gary, I think it's got the right blend of modern with authenticity.
Old 11th March 2012, 16:06

davecymru is on a distinguished road

pretty pretty!
Old 11th March 2012, 17:59

garyh is on a distinguished road
Default Looks amazing...

So will the chassis be powder coated in the red or black? It's gonna look stunning.
Old 11th March 2012, 18:06

I've settled on Powder coated Red. Is any of the Sammio frame visible once finished? If so I may get that done too.
Old 11th March 2012, 18:29

tlrtone is on a distinguished road

bloody lovely. Excellent colour choice and the bits look great so far!
Old 20th March 2012, 12:11

Things have started happening very quickly now

The front suspension units are fully built up including lowered springs (Gone for a 75mm cut off with Gaz shocks) and reconditioned brake calipers fitted.

Rear drive shafts are built up with new rotoflex couplings, Universal joints and bushes.

Rear spring is ready to fit, having been blasted, powder coated black and new bushes fitted. I've also got the shock conversion brackets and new Gaz shocks for the rear.

New outriggers are welded on to the chassis spine and having just spoken to my favourite blast/coaters, they are picking it up on Friday with the remit to 'tidy up and linish my welding', blast clean and powder coat in the RAL 3005 that the turrets are coloured with. They reckon it will be ready on Monday/Tuesday next week!

I've picked up a nice pair of custom built steel floor pans via Gaz Davies with a slope from 1" at front to 3" at back (Many thanks for arranging these Gaz, they are exactly what I was after)

I'm away the weekend after it comes back but I've a fairly light workload next week so it's possible I may have a rolling chassis by Friday! (Weather permitting )

Happy days!
Old 20th March 2012, 12:19

Did you take the spring apart? The red looks great in the pics, must be even better in the flesh...
Old 20th March 2012, 12:50

I have to admit I was very tempted to but didn't in the end. The blasters did a great job of cleaning the debris before putting a light coat on though.
Old 20th March 2012, 12:58

You' ve obviously found a good company to do this work for you, and pick it up! I didn't even get a reply from 2 companies i emailed... that's why i am doing all the shotblasting and powdercoating, once i get an oven. I don't feel like i am getting any where but i like to look at every ones projects, its all very inspiring. Garyh

http://garyssammiospyderbuild.blogspot.co.uk/
Old 20th March 2012, 13:11

I was lucky. They are only a mile up the road and I've been a fairly constant customer for bits and pieces with them for a while so they are starting to offer favours. Looking at your blog, you are making good progress. It may just seem to feel like you aren't. After all, we're building a Car!
Old 20th March 2012, 14:06

Keeping the photo stream going

Chassis with new outriggers. Some tidying to do but will be off to paint on Friday:

Front Suspension units ready to fit:

One of the rear drive shafts with vertical link and brake built up:

Starting to clean up the gearbox: