Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin 5exi builds

Marlin 5exi builds Calling all you sexi builders....sorry 5exi builders, show us your progress.

Old 21st January 2007, 12:52
Enthusiast

MikeN is on a distinguished road
Default Dashboard Finishing Treatment

Hi chaps.

Can anyone tell me how they have finished o painted thier dashboard/scuttle. I have sprayed mine a matt black paint, which looks superb when just sprayed, but being matt shows up literally any mark or even the lightest of scratches. Basically it won't wear well and will look terrible in a very short time.

Would welcome any suggestions or recommendations.

Regards

Mike
Available from eBay
Old 21st January 2007, 14:55
Enthusiast

SDMC001 is on a distinguished road
Default Dash

Mike

I had my dash finished in Flock, and will paint the scuttle either black, or if I can get a really good match, the gel coat colour. I used a company called Suffolk Flocking services, he also can do various colours. The chap is in the Ipswich area, handy for me I was working up there last year, maybe worth a try.

Steve

http://www.suffolkflockingservices.co.uk/
Old 21st January 2007, 17:05
Enthusiast

craig is on a distinguished road

Hi Mike, not sure how much the flocking costs and have not had mine done yet but have bought alcantara which is in most top end sports cars and looks the dogs...........ot also rids you of any reflection from the dash which the demo car suffered from when I drove it

The draw back is unless you have trimmed before you will have to take it to a trimmers but I will be getting the whole interior done anyway

Craig

ps genuine alcantara is not cheap though about £50 square mtr
Old 21st January 2007, 21:23
Enthusiast

limpabit is on a distinguished road

I've used (or the other half has used!) red leather effect material. This has the effect no reflection with the sun and can be wiped down. But a pain to glue and get right!
Old 21st January 2007, 22:05
Enthusiast

alackofspeed is on a distinguished road

I'm going for black hide - quotes have varied enormously, from £150 to £500. I did consider flocking, and alcantara, but after collecting samples, and leaving them in my daily driver for a while to see what they picked up, I considered the ease of cleaning them, and I ditched the idea of anything that dust / hairs / general airborne muck easily adhered to, and from which filth was bothersome to remove.
Old 22nd January 2007, 18:59
Enthusiast

bigrich is on a distinguished road

Hi all....

I agree generally....avoid shiny surfaces (too much glare)....and try to avoid surfaces that make dust removal difficult (remember this car is a true soft top and even in the UK the interior gets loads of 'road dust' that needs cleaning off.

I too was going to go for trimming....but lookin gat the curves and angles shelved that idea pronto!

My solution....spray the dash and scuttle in Satin Black.....fairly easy to clean and doesn't show too many marks...also glare is OK .

Rich
Old 22nd January 2007, 19:00
Enthusiast

holgate86 is on a distinguished road
Default dash

I have done a very cheap alternative if your budget is stretched. I originally did it as a temporary finish till I considered other alternatives. I have decided to keep it because I'm quite happy with it.
I basically sanded down and sprayed with stonechip, which is very hard wearing. I then had it painted in the colour of my choice. It could easily be trimmed at a later date if required so you have nothing to lose. It cost about a tenner.
Brian