Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 3rd August 2011, 00:18

oaktree11 is on a distinguished road
Default Introduction

Hi all, This is my first post in this forum and I apologise if it is in the wrong place! I have just bought a stage 1 Sportster kit from another member here who had already stripped a donor and done a lot of preparatory work (thanks Phil). So, I will take the project on and look forward to "talking" with you all - I will need a LOT of help I suspect...
The forum and indeed the many online diaries etc are incredible resources and I have learned much already.
Thanks in advance to you all
John
Available from eBay
Old 3rd August 2011, 19:54

denniswpearce is on a distinguished road

Congratulations John, a great purchase. I am a recent owner but not a builder and have needed help from these guys. They are extremely knowledgeable and helpful, so help will be at hand when you need it.
If you go back through the previous threads there are a few others who are building as well, so you are not alone.
Dennis
Old 3rd August 2011, 20:05

Thanks Dennis. This does seem to be a friendly forum. The Stage 1 kit I bought from Ebay is actually 8 years old and I was worried that it might not be current but apparently my fears are misfounded and there have not been too many changes. I intend to visit the factory to discuss what I will need. Because I didnt start the project I feel like its a jigsaw without a picture to follow but the more I read online the clearer it gets!
Old 3rd August 2011, 21:09
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

Hello and welcome, nice to see another owner here on the forum

Keep us updated on your progress
Old 4th August 2011, 20:57
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Another warm welcome to you John.
I think you'll find us a friendly bunch all eager to help and share our Sportster building experience.
I see from your biography you are a mining expert, so you'll enjoy working on the pedal box in the drivers foot-well!!
I see you got all the essential books with the chassis so lots to read. I know its a long way away but you'll need the donor cars V5 when it comes to registration, so try and get it if it is available and look after it in safe place. I collected my chassis at Easter 2004 so I guess it's the same vintage as yours. Since then Marlin has upgraded the wing stays and lower front wishbones so it might be worth checking if you have the latest version. (Patrick has the recall notices in his FAQ section on his website)

Just fire away with any questions and I'm sure you'll get lots of answers!

Enjoy your build!!

...peter
Old 4th August 2011, 21:19

Peter, thanks for the welcome!
The wishbones have indeed been modified by the previous owner. I only have the stage 1 kit (plus fuel tank) so hopefully I will get the modified wing stays when I get that far! I am a little bemused by the instructions - I had in my minds eye a little booklet with photos. Hmmm what I have is some typed sheets with hand drawings and referring to Sierra donor! Quaint really. I am really pleased that there are so many dedicated builders who have documented what they did! Not going to be starting for a bit, just re-wiring my garage!
I have the V5 too - its in the previous owners name but I think it has been marked as scrapped. Will that matter?

Last edited by oaktree11; 4th August 2011 at 21:28..
Old 6th August 2011, 20:18
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaktree11 View Post
Peter, thanks for the welcome!
The wishbones have indeed been modified by the previous owner. I only have the stage 1 kit (plus fuel tank) so hopefully I will get the modified wing stays when I get that far! I am a little bemused by the instructions - I had in my minds eye a little booklet with photos. Hmmm what I have is some typed sheets with hand drawings and referring to Sierra donor! Quaint really. I am really pleased that there are so many dedicated builders who have documented what they did! Not going to be starting for a bit, just re-wiring my garage!
I have the V5 too - its in the previous owners name but I think it has been marked as scrapped. Will that matter?
Hi John,
good news about the wishbones! The assembly instructions don't look much but do have all the necessary instructions and contains some little gems of info. I also, got a CD of photo's from Marlin, which were very helpful when I started but its all much better documented on Patrick's, Jason's or Robin's websites.
Its good you have the V5 but I'm not sure about the impact of the scrapped status. I kept mine on SORN until I registered the Sportster. I expect it will be OK.

Keep us posted on your progress....
Old 7th August 2011, 18:23
Enthusiast

timbo is on a distinguished road

Hi John
Welcome to the forum. As long as you have the V5 it shouldn't make any difference about being scrapped as it will be checked by the DVLA anyway post IVA and you will probably already have an MOT prior to IVA (most of us did this I think).
If its any consolation, I didn't think the instructions were much good either, but the advice (and picture galleries) on this forum will prove invaluable.
Good luck!
Tim