Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 3rd January 2009, 22:18
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Looking at other forums, this diagram seems to do the rounds for conecting up a tacho to coil packs............

Not sure I fancy hacking into the BMW loom so I will try the OBDII connector first..........

Peter
Old 5th January 2009, 11:40
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road
Default M50 Inlet Manifold Modified

M50 Engine with Inlet manifold cut in half, the centre 75mm section removed, and then rejoined using six individual sleeves. Despite my initial worries it has turned out very well. The aesthetics are acceptable, and the rigidity is far better than I hoped for.

How do you copy and paste a photo direct, rather than adding as an attachment?- I have compressed it to only 57kb but then can not paste from a clipboard?
Mike
Old 5th January 2009, 11:49
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
How do you copy and paste a photo direct, rather than adding as an attachment?- I have compressed it to only 57kb but then can not paste from a clipboard?
Mike
Mike you can't "embed" images into a forum post directly like that. You either need to attach it or host it some where. All my images are hosted on www.msportster.co.uk and I link to them with the Img tag.

You can get free JPEG hosting at http://www.jpghosting.com/ or http://imageshack.us/ or http://www.flickr.com/ (dunno if flickr is free?)
Old 5th January 2009, 12:49
Enthusiast

Quote:
M50 Engine with Inlet manifold cut in half, the centre 75mm section removed, and then rejoined using six individual sleeves. Despite my initial worries it has turned out very well. The aesthetics are acceptable, and the rigidity is far better than I hoped for.

Mike
Old 5th January 2009, 12:54
Enthusiast

Quote:
Patrick
Thanks for your advice - I understand the principle, but I must be doing something wrong - the photo is not being picked up from the host site?
Mike
In that case I misunderstood you I thought you were pasting from your PC not the host site!

What you need to do is get the full URL of the image, eg:

then either manually put [img]http://www.msportster.co.uk/data/p_march08_07.jpg[/img] round the URL (I've styled this so you can see the actual code you need to type in, this will normally display an image as is) or click the button and paste in the the URL so you get:

Old 5th January 2009, 14:03
Enthusiast

Quote:
If your using Firefox right click on the image in the page and choose "Copy Image URL" and use that URL.

In IE right click "Properties" then copy the URL from properties window.

The URL for the above is: {remove}

- take the ?v=0 off after the jpg

Last edited by Patrick; 17th March 2012 at 10:32.. Reason: removed URL by request
Old 5th January 2009, 14:49
Enthusiast

you need to remove the question mark as well
Old 5th January 2009, 15:37
Enthusiast

The M50 standard Inlet manifold and elbow do not fit in the width of the Cabrio engine bay, so it is necessary to reduce the width of one or other.
I chose to narrow the manifold by chopping out 75mm, and then re-sleeving the six individual ports.
I was quite sceptical about this idea (recommended by Marlin), but with the right type of tube (specially made reduced ply silicone tube), and an extra horizontal support bracket to go with the standard vertical ones, it is surprisingly rigid.

(Thanks for the help with the photos Patrick)
Mike
Old 5th January 2009, 15:41
Enthusiast

Looks good

The only thing is that it might shift the power around with shorter runners.
Old 5th January 2009, 21:50
Enthusiast

That manifold looks really cute!

Hacksawing through an M50 manifold was a brave action

As Patrick says, I wonder if it will have any noticible effect on the engine performance?
Old 6th January 2009, 09:51
Enthusiast

Peter

I guess it will have some impact, as BMW have clearly gone to a lot of design/cost input for the next model Inlet ie your M52 version with the special chamber for low revs torque. The great thing from my point of view is I'll never notice the difference as I never drove the car in its original state!!
I could get it rolling road tested if I really wanted to, but that's a long way off yet............

Have you investigated how the M52 will sit in your Sportster engine bay across the width? I know Andrew Curtis had problems with the M50 even though the Sportster is wider than the Cabrio. He chose to make a special glass fibre elbow:

I suspect this compromises the full volume flow at peak power, and is more likely to have an impact to the peak power, which is why I chose the route I took. I am guessing that if I have changed the characteristics of mine it will be at the low revs end, but that is only my gut feel?
Mike
Old 6th January 2009, 09:58
Enthusiast

I think short running mean less torque at the bottom end, but more flow / power at the top. The car being so light it shouldn't really make much difference!
Old 6th January 2009, 13:22
Enthusiast

Quote:
Peter
Have you investigated how the M52 will sit in your Sportster engine bay across the width? I know Andrew Curtis had problems with the M50 even though the Sportster is wider than the Cabrio. He chose to make a special glass fibre elbow:
Mike
Hi Mike,
no, not yet. That's something for the future....
Currently i'm trying to make sure I can get it to run electrically! Then i'll be looking at the alternator mounting, coolant plumbing and thinking about the exhaust system.
I've got the e36 engine brackets from Marlin now, so I guess I could now bolt them on and take some measurements. They will give me some good datum points to take measuremnets from. Not yet sure if the fancy M52 manifold i've got sticks out less or more than the M50 that Andrew has in his. I could ditch the M52 manifold and semi-electronic throttle body and fit an M50 with manual throttle but I'm a bit worried that will confuse my ECU. And the M52 ECU's have different type of connectors to the M50's so all starts getting a bit complicated!

I want to make sure I have (potential) solutions to all the issues before I start the transplant operation. If the weather does ever turn warmer again I want get some more miles on the clock and I don't want the car off the road for too long.

First step is the electricals. I have a 'cunning plan' where I am going try to simulate running the engine whilst still on the engine stand.
Watch this space.........

Peter
Old 6th January 2009, 18:39
Enthusiast

timbo is on a distinguished road

Hi
The air intake on my M52 is quite tight to the side panel, but not as much as Andrew's I think. I suggested to Mark when it was down at the factory that we could use an air intake into the side panel, but he suggested routing it into the passenger footwell. (I'm not putting a heater in so hopefully won't be a problem). Will try and remember to put a pic up.
I like the sound of your cunning plan, Peter, let me know when you have more details! I've been busy chopping through every wire I can find and shortening it down to a manageable length. Not that many unidentifiable wires left now!
Cheers
Tim
Old 17th January 2009, 23:16
Enthusiast

This ebay listing caught my eye............

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...:B:WNA:GB:1123

Not that I was planning to buy it, but two things caught my eye.......

Firstly, the guy states that it comes fitted with a e36 gearbox but has used an M20 flywheel. Any ideas why?

Secondly, he says you need a different ratio differential? Are the e30 and e36 gearbox ratios that different? I would expect them to be similar in 4th and 5th ratios, so why the need for a diffrent diff ratio? (I'm not worried about 1st, 2nd and third). Maybe he can't get 5th gear?

Any clues?

thanks

Peter
Old 18th January 2009, 00:00
Enthusiast

I can't seen any reason why you'd want to use the M20 fly if the gear box is also from an E36.

With regards to diffs the sporty E30 models as a 3.91 ratio (this is the one I have for the Sportster). The E36's tended to have 3.15 in the 328. E36's also had a larger tyre rolling radius than the E30. Not sure on box ratios but the 5th gear tends to vary between models and range which is quite possibly why he's suggesting a diff change as well.

Richard's running a 3.38 diff on his M52B28 / ZF 5 speed which results in a top speed of 130mph. Get's there very quickly (as tested on the autobahn). He's got a 3.15 LSD top drop in at some point which will drop the rev a bit at cruising speed which should help economy a bit. The other reason for that change is that its barely worth using 1st gear when pulling away.

Saying that some nut cases run 4.41 diff with an M50/M52 conversion!
Old 18th January 2009, 13:03
Enthusiast

Thanks, i'll stick with what i've got and see how it goes!

Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
I can't seen any reason why you'd want to use the M20 fly if the gear box is also from an E36.

With regards to diffs the sporty E30 models as a 3.91 ratio (this is the one I have for the Sportster). The E36's tended to have 3.15 in the 328. E36's also had a larger tyre rolling radius than the E30. Not sure on box ratios but the 5th gear tends to vary between models and range which is quite possibly why he's suggesting a diff change as well.

Richard's running a 3.38 diff on his M52B28 / ZF 5 speed which results in a top speed of 130mph. Get's there very quickly (as tested on the autobahn). He's got a 3.15 LSD top drop in at some point which will drop the rev a bit at cruising speed which should help economy a bit. The other reason for that change is that its barely worth using 1st gear when pulling away.

Saying that some nut cases run 4.41 diff with an M50/M52 conversion!
Old 18th January 2009, 13:30
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterux View Post
This ebay listing caught my eye............

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...:B:WNA:GB:1123

Not that I was planning to buy it, but two things caught my eye.......

Firstly, the guy states that it comes fitted with a e36 gearbox but has used an M20 flywheel. Any ideas why?

Secondly, he says you need a different ratio differential? Are the e30 and e36 gearbox ratios that different? I would expect them to be similar in 4th and 5th ratios, so why the need for a diffrent diff ratio? (I'm not worried about 1st, 2nd and third). Maybe he can't get 5th gear?

Any clues?

thanks

Peter
Peter
I have read on E30zone the E30 gearbox has an overdiven 5th gear ie above 1:1, (0.83?) whereas the e36 has a 1:1 drive in 5th, so the diff would have to be different. And as Patrick says thetyre size was different then the diff is even more crucial.
The E36 has a dual mass clutch plate which has been known to cause problems, and is probably heavier than the straight forward e30, so I guess he may be using an e30 one for reliabilityand/or acceleration.
However, my limited understanding of balanced rotational masses is that they need to be be very finely balanced, and although it may fit on the end of the crank shaft, does it follow the e30 clutch plate is a balanced swap for the e36 dual mass - I don't know, but I would want to before going ahead with the idea?
I replaced the clutchplate and dual mass ring on my clutch purely for peace of mind - but don't really know whether it was worth it, and never will I guess?
Mike
Old 23rd January 2009, 18:34
Enthusiast

Default ooooh er........

ooooooooo

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-E36-3-2-M3...1%7C240%3A1318

Old 23rd January 2009, 18:44
Enthusiast

I think you'd need a set of stainless underpants to go with that