Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 30th October 2012, 18:37

oaktree11 is on a distinguished road

Mike,

Now, it's funny you should mention that! I have been perusing the pump specs and I notice that all the pumps I think might do have either 10 or 12 mm inlets which should be a clue!
I guess it's either 12mm tank to filter to pump then 10mm to engine or 12mm al the way. I think 8mm return is probably ok?
John
Old 30th October 2012, 18:53
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaktree11 View Post
Questions:
- I know I need to get the correct spec HP hose, I would prefer flexi to copper, but does it have to be steel braided or will normal flexi rubber or whatever be ok down the transmission tunnel?
- What models of HP pump have you used for the M20 2.5 engine? I am thinking of pressure/flow rate required?
Hi John,
bit of a pet subject with me at the moment The EEC want all governments to introduce E10 (petrol with 10% Ethanol) by 2013 (i think?). This is non-compatible with copper and ordinary fuel hose. Now the IVA manual says...
Taking into account the type of fuel used, the fuel system, including the fuel tank, shall be so designed, constructed and fitted as to withstand the forces, vibration and corrosive environment to which it is likely to be subject.. Which could mean that anyone going for an IVA test in , say 2 years, will need to prove that the system is designed for E10 fuel.
You need fuel hose that is to spec. SAE30R9 or better.
(see thread called 'Fuel Hose Panic' for more details)
I'm planning on using something like Gates Barricade fuel hose or Goodyear SAE30R9 on my Sabre.

I think I used 10mm pipe on my Sportster as that was the size of the outlets on the tank.

The HP pump was supplied by Marlin and was a Sytec pump but I don't recall which model number.

...peter
Old 30th October 2012, 19:30

Peter,
Thanks for that. I had looked at that thread and it does seem prudent to fit hose that will withstand E10. Do you think a rubber coated hose/pipe is ok to run down the transmission tunnel?
John
Old 30th October 2012, 21:26
Enthusiast

Quote:
Peter,
Thanks for that. I had looked at that thread and it does seem prudent to fit hose that will withstand E10. Do you think a rubber coated hose/pipe is ok to run down the transmission tunnel?
John
Hi John,
to be honest, I can't see any other option.
In the Sportster, it's pretty safe inside the tunnel.

...peter
Old 30th October 2012, 21:31

Ah, Peter, sorry I didn't explain clearly! I was just wondering if the rubber hose was acceptable as opposed to the type covered in wire braiding. Traditionally people have used copper and I was not sure if the rubber type was frowned on. John
Old 31st October 2012, 08:50
Enthusiast

Quote:
Ah, Peter, sorry I didn't explain clearly! I was just wondering if the rubber hose was acceptable as opposed to the type covered in wire braiding. Traditionally people have used copper and I was not sure if the rubber type was frowned on. John
I have not read anything yet to say that 'rubber' hose is not acceptable and I've yet to find a SS braided hose that claims to be 30R9 compliant. The Gates and Goodyear stuff is not a simple hose but has multiple layers for reinforcement and protection.
Summit Racing in the States do some nice fuel line kits with braided hoses and all the connectors. Being in the States they are likely to be E10 compliant but I can't find any reference on their website.
Old 31st October 2012, 12:06

Hmmm, this would be ideal if only it came in larger diameters....
http://www.rallynuts.com/motorsport-...fuel-hose.html

but this one does and if it is ok to use "P" clipped down the transmission tunnel then I will go for it!

http://www.rallynuts.com/motorsport-...tion-hose.html

John

Last edited by oaktree11; 31st October 2012 at 12:23..
Old 31st October 2012, 15:36
Enthusiast

Quote:
Hmmm, this would be ideal if only it came in larger diameters....
http://www.rallynuts.com/motorsport-...fuel-hose.html

but this one does and if it is ok to use "P" clipped down the transmission tunnel then I will go for it!

http://www.rallynuts.com/motorsport-...tion-hose.html

John
Hmmm...I've seen this website before......
an interesting additional note added to the web page spec but further down it says SAE30R7 which doesn't (as far as I can make out) cope with ethanol enhanced fuels.

I'd already looked at the Sytec spec here...
http://www.glencoeltd.co.uk/fuel-hos...mm-ihs600-820/
as I've used Sytec before and it's good quality stuff but I can't find anything that says Ethanol in their spec sheet or a R9 variant.

There is some SAE30R9 hose for sale on ebay that others have used, but the supplier either won't or can't tell me who the manufacturer is which makes me a little suspicious? (I'll chase him up again)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/R9-Fuel-IN...item20cb5b0ed6

If you want some pucker Gates Barricade - ethanol compatible fuel infection hose you can contact:

Flexiducting & Tubing Ltd
Phone 01727 821480
Mob 07967757347
sales@flexiducting.co.uk
www.flexiducting.co.uk

Ask to speak to Wayne Dando.

He has given me the following prices (so far) but I've been trying to get him to 'sharpen his pencil' with some better prices

6mm(1/4”) x 4.57m(15’) Gates Barricade Fuel Hose – Price £37.28 per/coil
6mm(1/4”) x 7.62m(25’) Gates Barricade Fuel Hose – Price £53.20 per/coil
8mm(5/16”) x 4.57m(15’) Gates Barricade Fuel Hose – Price £41.92 per/coil
8mm(5/16”) x 7.62m(25’) Gates Barricade Fuel Hose – Price £63.40 per/coil
10mm(3/8”) x 4.57m(15’) Gates Barricade Fuel Hose – Price £46.36 per/coil
10mm(3/8”) x 7.62m(25’) Gates Barricade Fuel Hose – Price £68.42 per/coil

Prices are plus delivery (about £10) and plus VAT.

As you can see it's not cheap!! (10mm hose works out about £12-15 per metre, depending on how much you buy, about twice the price of the ebay stuff)

I think the Goodyear 30R9 fuel injection hose could be a little cheaper but I'm waiting for a full price breakdown from Wayne.

...peter
Old 31st October 2012, 18:33

Wow! Peter that's awesome research! Thanks for sharing. I guess we need to consider e10 resistant LP return hose too. I am assuming that this could be 8 or even 6 mm in a single HP pump system? What do you think? John
Old 1st November 2012, 18:43
Enthusiast

Quote:
Wow! Peter that's awesome research! Thanks for sharing. I guess we need to consider e10 resistant LP return hose too. I am assuming that this could be 8 or even 6 mm in a single HP pump system? What do you think? John
I'm not sure what effect a smaller return pipe would have?
I used the same diameter pipes on my Sportster and will probably do the same again.

...peter
Old 7th January 2013, 12:03

Default OK I weakened - new toy

Now, this is all GOO's fault. He showed me his car lift when I visited and it kept rolling around in my head and then....bloody Ebay intervened! Although, I think I got it cheap.

I have been casually looking for ages but I am not that impressed with many of the new offerings that hail from China.

Eventually I saw this one. European made and with a hydraulic tilt function too!

[IMG] IMG_0242 by oldpropuk, on Flickr[/IMG]

This is my (second) donor. Once this is done with I will transfer the lift to the Marlin. Here it is lifted and nearly fully tilted

One of the other reasons that I really liked this one is that the moving part of the scissors moves in a metal channel, not on the ground itself. Thus it has a frame which will enable me to mount the whole thing on heavy duty wheels (only for the Marlin build, Not general use).

Happy new year to one and all! John
Old 7th January 2013, 19:42
Enthusiast

GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road

Ace, aren't they... pays for itself as well, once you've done a service and brake job on your daily driver.
Old 3rd September 2013, 09:47

Default Its a funny life.....

Hello all. I know that it has been ages since I last posted but I am still here. Not progressing because life has taken another turn which is scuppering me!!!
I started this build because I finally thought that, at my advanced age, I was settled....oh dear what a mistake. I am now bound for two years living and working in Ghana and it is likely that while I am away we will move to the South West!
So, I now have a choice, to mothball the Sportster or to sell it to someone who will finish it.
I have the complete Sportster E30 kit with everything needed from Marlin including all the bodywork and windscreen. I wanted to be sure that I was safe if Marlin stopped producing. I also have one donor completely stripped and another on the drive for backup! I have the rear suspension fitted but I also have a limited slip diff which I intended to put in.
If anyone knows anyone who might be interested in buying it all let me know. Its not so much about the money, more about getting it built.
I will try again in a couple of years when I return and maybe even retire!!!
Thanks for all the help guys
John
PS my email is john@oldprop.co.uk
J
Old 4th September 2013, 16:43
Enthusiast

cabrioman is on a distinguished road

See the post "Sportster Info" by mcramsay, he's looking to buy a Sportster kit, could be a match made in heaven.

John
Old 4th September 2013, 21:06

Thanks for the tip John, much appreciated. I have left a mssage.

If i dont sell it I will buy a 20ft container and decamp it and my whole garage contents into it for safe storage while I am away.

John