Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 5th April 2012, 12:51

AndyP57 is on a distinguished road
Default Four wheels on my wagon....

The sun came out
And my office was too hot...

So I got cracking and fitted the brake lines. I cheated a bit by getting a pre-made set from Canleys but I had to make one up anyway as the one supplied was too short. (WCA, they aren't too hard to make up from scratch if you get a simple kit from machinemart or similar).
Fitted the radius arms and the shock conversion kits and all of a sudden I've got a car with all four boots on the ground

Old 5th April 2012, 13:29

garyh is on a distinguished road

I love all the photos, makes it very easy to see what to do. I can see how mine will be, just in different colours. Keep 'em coming. Do you know how to align wheels etc... shims and all that?
Old 5th April 2012, 14:12

I'm currently putting the same shims back where they came out and haven't adjusted the radius arms but when the time comes I'll be giving the set of manuals I have a really good skimming...
Old 6th April 2012, 14:23

Despite waking this morning to the feeling that the battle of the Somme was going in in my innards , I still made progress. Not as much as I'd hoped but I've dressed the engine, fitted the gearbox after changing its oil and drained the engine oil ready for a flush and top up when I can get it running.

Then fitted the power pack

No more today though. I'm going to take it easy and hope for a better day tomorrow.
Old 6th April 2012, 14:37

By the way, I got a new belt for the engine, part number GCB11088 which is correct according to both Rimmers and Canley's catalogues but it appears far too short. Any ideas guys? I seem to have all the default bits on the engine and even with the dynamo at it's closest to the engine, there is no chance of getting it on to the pulleys. The size on the pack is 10A1085C if that helps at all.
Old 6th April 2012, 15:27

Now thinking about the cooling system. I'm heading towards the solution Mister Towed has in using a Civic radiator with an electric fan. I wondered if there was room under the hood for something like this replacing the original thermostat cover:

Which would do away with having to use an in line filler in order to get a cap at the highest point in the system. I'd appreciate your thoughts (Especially yours Mr Towed)
Old 6th April 2012, 17:16

davecymru is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyP57 View Post
By the way, I got a new belt for the engine, part number GCB11088 which is correct according to both Rimmers and Canley's catalogues but it appears far too short. Any ideas guys? I seem to have all the default bits on the engine and even with the dynamo at it's closest to the engine, there is no chance of getting it on to the pulleys. The size on the pack is 10A1085C if that helps at all.
I had exactly the same problem and i thought it was because i'd gone for an alternator conversion, seems i wasn't loosing my marbles after all!

I ended up going to Halfords (i know, i was desperate!) with the too-short belt and the really helpful lad there just brought out a box of odds-n-sods and we went through them until we found a "same but longer" one.

I've just had a quick gander and mine is marked as :
HB1100A 5

It's still not massively long, but it fits without being forced and it's done me a few tanks of fuel so far
Old 6th April 2012, 17:28

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Now thinking about the cooling system. I'm heading towards the solution Mister Towed has in using a Civic radiator with an electric fan. I wondered if there was room under the hood for something like this replacing the original thermostat cover:

Which would do away with having to use an in line filler in order to get a cap at the highest point in the system. I'd appreciate your thoughts (Especially yours Mr Towed)
Andy, sorry but I'm afraid there's no way that'll fit comfortably. Even the standard thermostat housing on my Vitesse engine looks like it's going to foul the inside of the bonnet, so it's probably going to get the 'Norfolk scoop' treatment, or a teardrop bulge at the very least.

You could always fit it then adapt the bonnet to suit, but it might just need a massive air scoop above it which wouldn't really be in keeping with the period look.
Old 6th April 2012, 17:32

Ah well, Worth a thought...
Old 7th April 2012, 14:21

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

Andy ...that looks fantastic !!

looking forward to seeing it in the flesh soon.....
Old 8th April 2012, 09:29

Has anyone fitted the 'wheelbarrow' sport twin exhaust set from Rimmers?

All the parts look good and I'm sure it will be obvious when it starts going together but with no instructions or suggested diagram, Three sizes of clamp (42, 45 and 54mm) and only straps for the back, are there any obvious intermediate hanging points? There aren't any brackets on any pipes apart from the boxes at the back and I'm sure it doesn't feel right hanging from just the manifold and the back pipes
Old 8th April 2012, 16:24

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

Andy , I am sure that is what we have at the workshop on a donor Vitesse awaiting its turn .....If you don't get it sorted , let me know and I will drive over tomorrow and take a look for you....
Old 8th April 2012, 17:11

Psycho pops is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Has anyone fitted the 'wheelbarrow' sport twin exhaust set from Rimmers?

All the parts look good and I'm sure it will be obvious when it starts going together but with no instructions or suggested diagram, Three sizes of clamp (42, 45 and 54mm) and only straps for the back, are there any obvious intermediate hanging points? There aren't any brackets on any pipes apart from the boxes at the back and I'm sure it doesn't feel right hanging from just the manifold and the back pipes
I have half fitted the same to mine, it feels remarkably sturdy and think when I fit the last straps at the rear boxes it will be fine, the tube is so much thicker and wider there is no flex along the length...
Pops
Old 10th April 2012, 10:50

Thanks gents. I've just (Gap in the rain) loose assembled the system and I agree with Psycho Pops that it has quite a bit of intrinsic strength. I also see at least a couple of good candidate points for adding 'belt and braces' hangars such as a strap around each part of the 'Y' pipe to the differential front brace, a bar across the chassis tail struts to hang the boxes off by the supplied straps and possibly another strap near the front to the bottom of the gearbox mounting plate.
Old 10th April 2012, 14:46

Out of interest are you going for solid or flexible fixings along the exhaust?
Old 10th April 2012, 14:54

I was intending going for flexible straps for each point of contact
Old 11th April 2012, 07:00

I'm going to hang the exhaust boxes from a beam across the chassis boot strut but wondered if tack welding would be frowned on by the DVLA inspector? Would I be better bolting the beam on? Thoughts gents ?

Last edited by AndyP57; 11th April 2012 at 07:52..
Old 11th April 2012, 08:19

tlrtone is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'm going to hang the exhaust boxes from a beam across the chassis boot strut but wondered if tack welding would be frowned on by the DVLA inspector? Would I be better bolting the beam on? Thoughts gents ?
How strange, I have just made up a bar that spans the two 'boot' outriggers and bolts onto them. I am bolting them on in my case mainly because I want it removable as my petrol tank is set back up there. Also because I don't want any hassles at the inspection!

Gary did say that 'minor' modifications such as welding brackets on or bolting to the chassis is acceptable.
Old 11th April 2012, 08:21

Good thinking! With my 'Maintainability/Supportability' hat on I should have thought about what servicing a permanent beam may prevent. Methinks a couple of bolts should suffice.
Old 11th April 2012, 08:44

Quote:
That is exactly what i've done, but i've got mine bolted in place and the inspection was fine.