Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Vintage and Classic Roadster Kit Car Builds

Vintage and Classic Roadster Kit Car Builds For Vintage and Classic era kit cars. Post your build reports, problems and progress here

Old 16th November 2012, 14:03
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road

That sure is a substantial chassis! - and beautifully made - particularly the front cross member.

Have you asked Protech if they make dampers for vehicles this big!!!
Available from eBay
Old 16th November 2012, 14:37
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

That's the make that Phil Gregory supplies for the Pembleton. They are certainly well made and seem to do the job (Pembleton is a bit lighter though lol)

Robin
Old 16th November 2012, 15:27
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinClan View Post
That's the make that Phil Gregory supplies for the Pembleton. They are certainly well made and seem to do the job (Pembleton is a bit lighter though lol)

Robin
Thanks Robin. An online search hasn't thrown up any negative feedback so far. A little bit more expensive than standard GAZ dampers but cheaper than AVO and they look nicer :-)
Old 23rd November 2012, 11:37
Enthusiast

Week 13!

Not a lot to see this week as I've been cleaning, sanding, de-rusting and painting the front end of the chassis. (The plan is to do the front end, rebuild the front suspension and then turn the car round and do the back end). It's not been the best of weather for painting and it gets quite dark in my garage. I'm using hammerite satin as it's very tolerant to multiple coats and I can put some more on next summer when it's warmer and drier. The rust is only superficial and the chassis is like a battleship.

I raised the front of the chassis up on a workmate to make it easier to work on.

Chassis prep - front by marlinpeter, on Flickr

In other news, I bought a complete set of Royale Owners club magazines from 1995 to 2009 so I'm spending hours reading all the building tips from the past!

Hopefully, I'l have some more interesting pictures next week....

...peter
Old 28th November 2012, 18:42
Enthusiast

Week 14 has been exciting as I have been able to finally start bolting things back together and truly start the rebuild.

Despite the appalling weather I managed to get a few coats of paint on the chassis. It's come up looking like a new chassis so the rebuild of the front suspension can begin.

Chassis front end painted by marlinpeter, on Flickr

Painted chassis by marlinpeter, on Flickr

The front suspension utilises the Sierra front cross member. Here it is after cleaning and repainting.

Sierra front cross member by marlinpeter, on Flickr

So it didn't take me long to offer it up and bolt it in position.

Bolted cross member by marlinpeter, on Flickr

The upper wishbone bushes are Ford Cortina Mark 3. (this is a real vintage car!!). They have an outer metal casing that has to be pressed into the wishbone. I didn't fancy swapping these casin but found out that Flo-flex do a poly bush that sits inside the old metal casing. I was worried that the old rubber bushes might be 'vulcanised' to the casing but they weren't and slid straight out, leaving a nice clean hole for the poly bush.

Front upper wishbone bushes by marlinpeter, on Flickr

The wishbones are about 6mm wider than the chassis mounting points. The original builder had done the wishbones up tight to close this gap putting them under strain. I will put washers in here to give me some caster adjustment, just like the Sportster.

Front suspension - trial fitting by marlinpeter, on Flickr

As previously mentioned, I want to fit a power steering rack. I've now got a column extension piece off a Mark 2 Granada which is the right length but just fouls on the chassis.

Power steering issues by marlinpeter, on Flickr

It also just touches the upper wishbone bush which is more of a consequence of using the poly bushes.

Power steering issues by marlinpeter, on Flickr

A small modification to improve the clearance from the suspension support to the power steering rack extension.

Steeering extension clearance by marlinpeter, on Flickr

Next weeks plan is to complete re-asembling the front suspension and turn the car round so I can start work on the rear suspension.

......peter
Old 16th November 2012, 15:24
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
That sure is a substantial chassis! - and beautifully made - particularly the front cross member.

Have you asked Protech if they make dampers for vehicles this big!!!
It weighs a 'ton'.
I thought the Marlin chassis was substantial until I got this one!!