Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 2nd March 2010, 11:17
Enthusiast

GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road
Default Fuel Hose Panic!

Guys,

I've just been trying to get data sheets for the fuel hose I've used, as the printing on it isn't great. I've found out from the Motor factor that it supplied by MAFCO, who actually get it from CODAN.

On Finding the relevent details, I see that it is not for use on fuel injected system - even though I specifically asked for fuel injection hose when I bought it a year / 18 months ago.

http://www.codan.co.uk/product_detai....5mm%20x%2020M

Of course, I can't prove that, but I am going to have to go and get some new hose.

What I need to know is how anal are the testers on this? I have a full tank of fuel ready for Friday, and I have this fuel hose everywhere. Can I get away with just replacing the bits that are on the high pressure side of the system?

i.e HP Pump -> Fuel Rail -> Return to swirl pot?

Or will I have to replace it all?

Available from eBay
Old 2nd March 2010, 12:35
Enthusiast

Sod it - just bought 5 meters of Gates fuel injection pipe, and a whole bundle of fuel pipe clamps for it (I thought I'd replace them all, as I believe the pipe I have at the moment has a smaller OD, and I'd end up swearing lots when none of the existing clamps expand enough for the new stuff!)

Guess who's going to be getting a face full of petrol tonight...
Old 2nd March 2010, 21:14
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

The testers may not have noticed but you'll sleep better to know it's been changed both before and after the IVA!

...peter
Old 2nd March 2010, 21:29
Enthusiast

Well, I don't want to do that again. I had a list of jobs, but only got the fuel lines done. I think I must have had a couple of pints of petrol over my hands!

It'll be another night in the garage tomorrow then....
Old 3rd March 2010, 08:37

chrislandy is on a distinguished road

Don't worry, on the run up to my SVA I was at work all day then pulled 8 hours every night on the car for a week!
Old 3rd March 2010, 08:40
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatOldOne View Post
Well, I don't want to do that again. I had a list of jobs, but only got the fuel lines done. I think I must have had a couple of pints of petrol over my hands!

It'll be another night in the garage tomorrow then....
I think you are just as well to have changed it. They checked my car pretty thoroughly for markings on fuel hoses, brake lines, ignition leads etc.

Robin
Old 3rd March 2010, 08:59
Enthusiast

Yeah - HT leads - mine are standard OEM leads from BERU. I don't think there are any markings on them, but I have downloaded datasheets for them.

Brake lines - I'd better get on the HEL website and download the details for those as well... My folder will weigh more than the car at this rate!
Old 3rd March 2010, 10:10
Enthusiast

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatOldOne View Post
Yeah - HT leads - mine are standard OEM leads from BERU. I don't think there are any markings on them, but I have downloaded datasheets for them.
I had and did the same although I think mine had some markings on them.

Quote:
Brake lines - I'd better get on the HEL website and download the details for those as well... My folder will weigh more than the car at this rate!
Be prepared dib dib dib....

Robin
Old 3rd March 2010, 15:03

Chris Cussen is on a distinguished road

They checked my flexible fuel lines, the main run from the back was copper pipe, and the flexi hose was low pressure type. Didn't need HP as its only feeding a carb.

They also checked my ignition leads.
They looked at my brake flexible hoses, which were Aeroquip items.

All pipe runs were checked to make sure they were adequately supported, and checks were made for any possibility of fouling on moving components.
Old 3rd March 2010, 15:05
Enthusiast

Thanks Chris. You have a Carb? Which engine have you got?
Old 3rd March 2010, 15:34

Chris Cussen is on a distinguished road

2 litre DOHC 8V. Pushes out about 115bhp. I dream of a 160bhp zetec.
However the performance although not shattering is quite entertaining. Sandie got a bit twitchy when I suggested spending another £3k.

The diff is relatively high ratio and its geared for 160 mph in top, not that is achieveable, but it cruises nicely at 85, and seems to return about 30mpg.
Old 10th August 2011, 12:34

NigelB is on a distinguished road
Question

Now you've got me thinking.

I've got low pressure rubber hose running from back to front and on the return from the swirl pot to the tank. I've got high pressure hose between the swirl pot, filter, pump, fuel rail and back to the swirl pot.

Having seen this thread I checked the IVA manual.

Nothing, or at least I couldn't see it or missed it.

Now common sense says use HP hose in the HP part of the fuel system but I can't see anywhere in the IVA Manual that refers to it and therefore, what the VOSA testers will be checking against.

Changing all my fuel lines to HP hose will give me peace of mind but do I need to spend £30 to £40 to replace it all and has anyone seen where the requirement is documented.
Old 10th August 2011, 20:36
Enthusiast

I think fuel hoses come under General construction.

Under Standards Paragraph 3. it says...
The vehicle structure and all components including their attachment must be suitable and of adequate strength. (see note 2)

And note 2 says.....
Note 2 This assessment includes the attachment of any component/assembly of any structure, the strength and suitability of materials used, (including pipes etc), all fastenings, (welding, brazing, bonding, rivets, nuts and bolts etc) are to be assessed for suitability, completeness and security.

The SVA/IVA inspectors are looking for standard automotive components rather than 'a bit of old hose pipe' from the local diy store. Try to use some with manufacturers or BSI/DIN markings and be prepared to justify why it is suitable.
You see in this thread preparation of other builders by printing copies of manufacturers data sheets is a good back up if there are any questions. Like Jason and others I had a folder full of useful information. (A general reminder to keep all your receipts from Marlin and any other major components)

Back to your question, so long as you can show you've used the right hoses and they are marked, I think you'll be fine.
Old 14th August 2011, 21:14

NigelB is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterux View Post
The SVA/IVA inspectors are looking for standard automotive components rather than 'a bit of old hose pipe' from the local diy store. Try to use some with manufacturers or BSI/DIN markings and be prepared to justify why it is suitable.
Back to your question, so long as you can show you've used the right hoses and they are marked, I think you'll be fine.
I've decided to go for the HP hose throughout. Better safe than sorry and it seems better to avoid a repeat of Jasons unleaded shower by changing the hoses before they, or the tank, have seen any of the wet stuff. It's meant I've had to change to a larger P clip as well so I hope the IVA man appreciates the effort......................
Old 14th August 2011, 22:16
Enthusiast

Eau-de-Unleaded. Splash it all over.
Old 15th August 2011, 16:54

Spannerman is on a distinguished road
Default Fuel Hose

I have recently been through this problem-of far more interest than the pressure rating is the resistance to unleaded petrol. The suppliers appear to be selling off all their old R6 spec pipe before moving on to the new R9 spec!The new stuff is available on EBay if you search for it.
Old 16th August 2011, 13:41
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spannerman View Post
I have recently been through this problem-of far more interest than the pressure rating is the resistance to unleaded petrol. The suppliers appear to be selling off all their old R6 spec pipe before moving on to the new R9 spec!The new stuff is available on EBay if you search for it.
Hi David
What is the difference between R6 & R9 spec?
As you say there are plenty of suppliers with R6 stating it is suitable for unleaded?
Mike
Old 18th August 2011, 20:07

Spannerman is on a distinguished road
Default Fuel Hose

I believe that the difference amounts to a fluoropolymer layer to stop the petrol rotting the rubber. Without this the rubber has a remarkably short life.
Old 9th October 2012, 22:44
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Hi David
What is the difference between R6 & R9 spec?
As you say there are plenty of suppliers with R6 stating it is suitable for unleaded?
Mike
I'm resurrecting an older discussion about Fuel Hose specification and suitability.

Researching for E10 fuel (petrol with 10% ethanol) I came across this interesting post....

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/view...php?tid=153126

Now that got me thinking about the future IVA test for my Royale Sabre. It's not clear when E10 fuel will be introduced into the UK and the German government seems to have botched their introduction which may delay the UK introduction. You can carry on using super unleaded but that is only going to get more and more expensive.

I think the IVA manual only says that the Fuel Hose has to be 'suitable'. Copper is not compatible with E10 (as it corrodes) so my conclusion is that I should be fitting SAE30R9 rubber hose all the way from my tank to fuel rail.
(My IVA is probably 2 years away by which time E10 may be common)

The trouble is finding a supplier of a premium branded SAE30R9 hose.
But I think i've found a supplier today. I'll speak to them in the next few days and see if they are happy to supply direct to the public in small'ish quantities.

...peter
Old 10th October 2012, 08:37
Enthusiast

What about the semi-rigid nylon hose that is sold as suitable for just about everything?

Robin

Edit - good article here .http://www.groups.tr-register.co.uk/...ol-update.html

It seems that just about everything is affected by it (Including nylon!). But - on the practical side it seems we are already using petrol with 5% ethanol and I haven't had any problems with the Sportster which has now been on the road over 3 years. So why should E10 (10%) be that much worse? If it is just twice as bad then perhaps in practice there isn't a big problem?