Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 24th June 2020, 07:49

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Ha ha, in my defence I'd never used bonding paste before and it didn't come with any instructions so I assumed it air cured. It was only when someone said 'did you put enough catalyst in it?' that the penny dropped.

Glad you're still finding my old Sammio posts useful. I found input from Gary J, Mike (who used to work with Gary) and those pioneering builders who'd gone before, particularly Phil Jacklin, to be invaluable in deciding how to proceed with my own build, so I appreciate the compliment.

Iris (the Midget) did turn out rather well. I took my wife out for a tour round the North Norfolk coast in it yesterday and it didn't miss a beat. Although it looks like a sixties car it has a torquey 1500 engine from a later Midget and (Spitfire) overdrive gearbox, so it's perfect for lazy touring on a sunny day.

Once my Speedster is finished Iris will be looking for a new home as I will need the space for my next project. I just happen to have a late MkII Spitfire with no engine waiting in the wings.

Luckily, I also have a MkII Vitesse six-pot and gearbox (still to be collected after lockdown), a choice of GT6 MkIII swing-spring or MkII Vitesse Rotoflex suspension and bakes on the shelf and a desire to turn it into a GT Sixfire. Shouldn't take long...
Old 24th June 2020, 20:17

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Good luck with the MOT Chris.

Take care, Paul.
Old 17th August 2020, 21:03

cbjroms is on a distinguished road

Well, still preparing for the MOT having noticed some 'loose ends'.

First thing was the effectiveness of the handbrake needed improving and second my thermostatic fan switch started playing-up.

Now I realise that I dont have the 'manufacturer's commission plate' after all, it is the smaller colour/body plate that I have.

So I need to get a commission plate made before I can MOT. Thinking that I will just put the model as 13/60 and the VIN number from the V5. Do I need weights on there (some plates have them and others dont) as well? Is the colour important as I have yet to decide what to go for?
Old 18th August 2020, 08:55

Lucky@LeMans is on a distinguished road

As far as I know you only need the chassis number on the plate for MOT purposes. The MOT examiner will enter the colour of the vehicle as presented unless you tell him otherwise.
Old 4th September 2020, 17:41

9 years after I started the build, UAX 31G passed its MOT this morning and is now on the road.

I decided to leave-off the rear deflectors to see if MOT required them. I put a couple of self tappers into the rear and took the reflectors (and a screwdriver) with me to the MOT station. Nothing was mentioned but maybe lighting regs are not MOT matter?

Planning to drive it for a few months and sort-out some of the niggles that I have been reluctant to mess with pending the MOT. Then it will probably go up for sale (price to include paint job in purchaser's colour of choice) next Spring to make way for my next project.
Old 7th September 2020, 23:21

Cbjroms – Congratulations on passing the MOT Chris.

Enjoy driving the car and don’t forget some photos.

Cheers, Paul.
Old 13th September 2020, 19:50

So here are some photos:

Old 14th September 2020, 08:59

Mick O'Malley is on a distinguished road
Default Looking Good!

Congrats re. test . Any thoughts on colour? I'm not a big 'BRG' fan but I think this (Connaught Green?) with Old English White roundels, would complement it perfectly.

Regards, Mick

Last edited by Mick O'Malley; 16th September 2020 at 04:09..
Old 14th September 2020, 18:40

Chris - It looks like all the effort you put into re-shaping worked well.

I think you will be very pleased when you finally get the car in one colour.

I know I couldn't believe the difference a coat of grey primer made to hide the construction 'scars'.

Enjoy, Paul.
Old 15th September 2020, 07:15

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

What a great result, well done! It's going to look awesome no matter what colour you go with.
Old 18th September 2020, 10:05

deni is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjroms View Post
9 years after I started the build, UAX 31G passed its MOT this morning and is now on the road.

I decided to leave-off the rear deflectors to see if MOT required them. I put a couple of self tappers into the rear and took the reflectors (and a screwdriver) with me to the MOT station. Nothing was mentioned but maybe lighting regs are not MOT matter?

Planning to drive it for a few months and sort-out some of the niggles that I have been reluctant to mess with pending the MOT. Then it will probably go up for sale (price to include paint job in purchaser's colour of choice) next Spring to make way for my next project.
Hi cbjroms,

Which colour is registered on your V5 at the moment please?

Thank you.
Old 14th December 2020, 12:54

garyh is on a distinguished road

looking great, as is...
Old 11th April 2021, 14:11

Have had a fun few months on the car during the 'cold'season'. The cooling system seemed to have some gremlins and I concluded that it was either:
a) Head gasket
b) Air trapped in themostat housing.

So I decided to fix both - first whipped the head off and all looked good. Had the valves regorund and head tested at local machine shop. Also tapped a thread into thermostat housing and connected a hose from here to the expansion tank to bleed any trapped air.

This work was completed within 10 days and cost £50. It then took me 3 months to get the engine running properly again! First I bent a pushrod and for safety removed the head again to check everthing. Second I tried re-using the old head nuts and found that they wouldnt hold the correct torque. Third I snapped the accelerator bracket tongue off the exhaust manifold and my solution prevented a proper seal between the inlet manifold and the head causing an air leak. Finally, I got the engine running properly and found one of the core plugs was leaking and needed to be replaced.

But all the work was completed in time for a test drive on the first warm and sunny day of 2021. Suddenly it was all worth it!
Old 11th April 2021, 18:11

I need to lean on the collective wisdom of the forum to help me resolve a dilemma.

My car looks as per the photos above (September 2020) and I had been planning to get it painted this summer.

However, I may have stumbled across my next project and have been told that I would need to sell the Sammio before I can commit to getting something else.

So, I am wondering whether the Sammio will be easier to sell unpainted as a 'blank canvas' or whether a nice paint job will make all the difference.

I see MikeD has his on Ebay at £17500 but that has a nice paint job and looks really nicely finished. So what would be a sensible price for mine as it is?
Old 12th April 2021, 08:25

Chris - Sammio prices are always hard to judge.

I think you have three basic choices:

Painted - Best price and widest market.
(Something you can just get in and drive will appeal to more people.)

Primer/Undercoat - Quickest way to improve value.
(You will be amazed at what a difference a single coat of any colour will make.)

As is - Worst market and worse price.
(We know you have done all the hard work, but it just doesn't look it.)

Sorry that isn't much help really, but good luck anyway.

Cheers, Paul.
Old 12th April 2021, 08:41

Even a quick rattle can grey primer will add value. Don't expect to see more than half what you would have got if properly finished though.
Old 12th April 2021, 09:24

kon is on a distinguished road

It sounds like if you dont want to invest much more time into it, a single colour (primer) will be your best bet. At the moment, it looks like it still needs a lot of work for someone to be able to jump in and drive it, without feeling like they are driving a half-finished project. A single colour will help it feel like a work-in-progress, much closer to completion. I would expect it will also help show up any imperfections, so a buyer would be able to see more easily how much work there is actually left to do, just by looking at photos, and how good the work is that you've done already.

Last edited by kon; 12th April 2021 at 09:27..
Old 12th April 2021, 09:58

Those views are extremely helpful - thanks guys.
Old 12th April 2021, 18:09

Looking again at your photos above, the more I'm thinking a grey primer would finish it to a satisfactory level for sale. You have a good set of wheels, the lights look fine as do the instruments. Steering wheel and seats look good too ! £40 worth of grey primer in rattle cans will transform it into a saleable car, good luck !

Last edited by Lucky@LeMans; 12th April 2021 at 18:12..
Old 15th May 2021, 16:59

Thanks again for the advice guys,

At the first local paintshop I visited, the two guys I met were exteremly helpful, generous with their advice and clearly loved the car. I was chatting with them for ages and they were very excited about the chance to finish the car for me.

I visted them again a few weeks later to chat to them about me just putting it in primer , having had quotes ranging from £3000 to £6000 to finish and paint the car. Having talked through the options they made me a good offer for the car as it was.

A quick and painless sale to people who know what they are doing was too good a chance to miss. So the car has gone to a very good home and I am looking forward to seeing how they finish it.

My garage is now fibre and dust free for the first time in many years!