Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 22nd May 2006, 22:40
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road
Exclamation My Photo's

I am trying out a new Photo hosting site from Yahoo called Flickr.

I have uploaded some of my build pictures.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/peters-bmwmarlin/

Take a look and let me know what you guys think.

Any feedback appreciated. I am still learning how to organise, etc and sorry for any typo's.

I am up to about December 2005 and will add some more photo's as time permits.

cheers Peter (aka peterux or now Marlinpeter)
Available from eBay
Old 23rd May 2006, 07:09
Big Cheese

JG has disabled reputation

Some nice photos there Peter, very sharp and clear

Would you mind if I nicked a couple of the chassis shots to put up in the gallery?

Cheers, John
Old 23rd May 2006, 08:26
Enthusiast

GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road

Bah - I'll have to look later on, at home - as my office's Nazi Firewall of Doom(tm) blocks flikr. :/
Old 23rd May 2006, 12:15
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road
Default Pictures

Great pictures - its interesting to see the differences in the donors - there seems to be several between your F-Reg and my G-reg.

Must tidy up my garage

Robin
Old 23rd May 2006, 20:25
Enthusiast

John,
glad you enjoyed my pictures, please go ahead and steal any you like.

G.O.O.
sorry, didn't know that Flickr would be blocked by some company firewalls?

Martin,
I have lots more pictures of my donor, if there is something particular you are interested in. Was yours from Switzerland or somewhere or was that somebody else? My car is being built in a lock up so i always remove all my tools when i leave. It's a pain packing the car with all the bits each weekend but it does mean i tidy up at the end of each session!
You'll see how i stole your TR6 exhaust idea in the next shots i put up.

Peter
Old 23rd May 2006, 21:45
Enthusiast

Smile

More photo's of my build added tonight.

The first time on it's own wheeels, fitting the exhaust system, heater, starter motor, inlet manifold, fuel pump and coolant tank.
Enjoy!

Old 24th May 2006, 08:09
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

Looking good It always nice to see build piccys
Old 24th May 2006, 09:30
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterux
G.O.O.
sorry, didn't know that Flickr would be blocked by some company firewalls?
No problem - I just looked at them at home. Looking very nice. How did you get the head so clean? It looks new...
Old 24th May 2006, 12:22
Enthusiast

Quote:
John,
I have lots more pictures of my donor, if there is something particular you are interested in. Was yours from Switzerland or somewhere or was that somebody else? My car is being built in a lock up so i always remove all my tools when i leave. It's a pain packing the car with all the bits each weekend but it does mean i tidy up at the end of each session!
You'll see how i stole your TR6 exhaust idea in the next shots i put up.

Peter
Building in a lock-up! That's brave. At least I can put my fan heater on in winter Yes - my car was a swiss import. Your steering column is different and I have rear disks.

I noticed that we are both using a mini heater but my bargain £10 one from ebay is now less of a bargain as I had to buy a new matrix.

Oh - and my TR6 exhaust is different to your TR6 exhaust! From your pictures it looks like the silencers are quite close to the tank. I moved my tank up so it sits between the chassis rails to avoid this problem (could be an SVA fail I guess) It also means that the tank doesn't show below the rear body and it is afforded a bit more protection in the event of a rear shunt (god forbid)

Do I see in the latest pictures you have changed your mind about the steering column mount?

Robin
Old 24th May 2006, 21:18
Enthusiast

G.O.O.
I cleaned the outside of the head with carb cleaner followed by a very light coat of Halfords silver brake caliper spray. Only time will tell if it satys put or peels off?

Martin,
re- the TR6 exhaust, yes i know, it was just your idea that caused me to stumble across the silencers on ebay. I take your point about the silencers being near the tank. They're not as close as they look in the picture. Is there anything in the SVA manual that covers this aspect? Might have to move the tank up like you. Any drawbacks of doing this?

Well spotted about the steering column mount, I keep changing my mind!
It is now back the other way up, as this moves it slightly nearer the centre of the car as the mount is not symetrical. Who knows which way it will be when its finished, but I have now spotted two Marlin factory built sportsters with it upside down, so I think this is what Mark intended. Everytime i've seen Mark, I have forgotten to ask him.

cheers
Peter
Old 25th May 2006, 07:43
Enthusiast

Default Fuel Tank

Quote:
G.O.O.
re- the TR6 exhaust, yes i know, it was just your idea that caused me to stumble across the silencers on ebay. I take your point about the silencers being near the tank. They're not as close as they look in the picture. Is there anything in the SVA manual that covers this aspect? Might have to move the tank up like you. Any drawbacks of doing this?
I don't think there is anything specifc - but I read something on another forum somewhere about this being a failure. Anyway - it's best not to pre-heat the petrol

I thought long and hard before I moved the tank up - I couldn't think of any disadvantages - only advantages. I suppose that it might mean the filler has to be located in a slightly different position? But it doesn't effect the boot space and doesn't interfere with the rear body. It seems better protected AND it doesn't show below the line of the rear body. Anyone else have any views?

On another front - do you have any pics of where you mounted the Marlin suppplied fuel swirl pot?

BR Robin
Old 25th May 2006, 08:11
Enthusiast

Are you using heat mat inbetween the tank and the exhaust? I've bought some that seems to work really well from CBS.
Old 25th May 2006, 09:56
Enthusiast

Quote:
G.O.O.
I cleaned the outside of the head with carb cleaner followed by a very light coat of Halfords silver brake caliper spray. Only time will tell if it satys put or peels off?
Aha! That's what I've been doing with Ally castings on my alternator and starter motor:

More pics here: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showpost....&postcount=175

I just used an acid etch primer on the aluminium before using the caliper paint.
Old 25th May 2006, 21:47
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick
Are you using heat mat inbetween the tank and the exhaust? I've bought some that seems to work really well from CBS.
Thanks Patrick, i'll take a look at that, unless I take on Martin's idea of raising the tank higher.

GOO,
wow those parts are gleaming!

Martin,
more pictures comming up at the weekend........

Peter
Old 28th May 2006, 19:46
Enthusiast

Default Updated

I have added a couple more of pages of new photo's tonight.

Radiator, engine wiring loom and fuel pump etc,

Enjoy!

Peter

(No build progress this weekend due to other family commitments)
Old 11th June 2006, 22:00
Enthusiast

Smile Updated

Hi all,
I've updated my Filckr site with some more pictures from my progress during May.

Progress has slowed to a trickle of important but small jobs that all take time. (I think I took nearly a day messing about with the throttle cable!)

Engine loom, fuel hoses, Brake reservoir, throttle cable, etc.
I've also spent a good few hours just laying out the wiring loom and figuring out what to connect where but it's not yet in the car.

happy browsing.....

(Engine start is a couple of weeks away but the home decorating looks like it will be taking priority over the next couple of months)
Old 11th June 2006, 22:27
Enthusiast

Thats looking really good! Did you have any problems fitting the lower rad hose past the steering column? It looked so tight on ours before we went to plan B
Old 12th June 2006, 16:24
Enthusiast

Default Brake Fluid Resevoir Hose

hello Peter

I looked up that hose you are using (Sytec FH013B) and i found it on the fuelsystem web site where they list it as fuel hose - or perhaps "suitable for fuel" .
I guess if it can withstand fuel it will also be OK for brake fluid - but don't the SVA people require a letter or something to proove that it's suitable?

I just bought some from BMW - the stuff that they use for the clutch remote cylinder - but again there is nothing written on it to say it is suitable for use with brake fluid.

It's all a bit strange really - the SVA don't ask for proof the the flexible hoses going to the brake callipers are suitable - so why ask for proof of the one connecting the master cylinder to the reservoir?

Regards

Robin
Old 12th June 2006, 17:16
Enthusiast

The pipes supplied by marlin dont have anything written on them either.
Old 12th June 2006, 20:31
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick
Thats looking really good! Did you have any problems fitting the lower rad hose past the steering column? It looked so tight on ours before we went to plan B
Patrick,
Yes it is a bit tight but it does clear the steering column but is pressed up against the chassis. I'm not entirely happy yet, so will be on the look out for three cheap right angle bends at the next show/ autojumble I go to.

Robin,
if you take another look at the FSE website you will find a link to the Sytec hose specification where it clearly states suitable for Brake Fluid.
http://www.fuelsystem.co.uk/hose.htm
then click on the link in the red box that says "For hose specification please click here."

I am sure I read once that this had caused a SVA failure. I guess it falls under the catch all category that the examiner has to satisfy himself it is built with suitable components.

Peter