Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Dino 246 Builds and Discussion

Dino 246 Builds and Discussion Da da da da daaa daa da da, ohoho Dino

Old 27th August 2020, 09:54

poser is on a distinguished road
Default desperately seeking dino [shell]

hi all
have been told of the 2 year wait for a cascu dino shell....I could die before then.....sooooo....has anyone got a spare shell? maybe an unfinished project?damaged or incomplete considered!
fingers crossed......
Available from eBay
Old 27th August 2020, 14:41

Lucky@LeMans is on a distinguished road

There are a couple of Karma Dino's on ebay, maybe a short term fix !
Old 27th August 2020, 19:50

redratbike is on a distinguished road

2 years !! Wow I thought they had it sorted
Old 27th August 2020, 21:00

tonyvan is on a distinguished road

The karma is horrible. Why anyone would want to compromise on getting one of them is beyond me. But I guess someone may want something very remotely Dino looking
Old 28th August 2020, 11:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyvan View Post
The karma is horrible. Why anyone would want to compromise on getting one of them is beyond me. But I guess someone may want something very remotely Dino looking
I think as a car the karma is ok but don’t ever try and dress it up to be a Ferrari !!!
Old 30th August 2020, 09:23

Have you seen the price of this karma on flee bay,And what’s alarming is it hasn’t reached its reserve!!. Not trying to disrespect this car but have I missed something. Not only does it not look anything like a Dino unless u blink at it, but it is a non runner, requires a full restoration plus paint,and it still won’t resemble a Dino unless u look at it either in the dark or blink when looking at it. I think the silhouette of it is as close to a Dino as it will ever get, but from there on it’s nothing like it or even close.Still if the seller gets a good price for it then good luck to him but is this the desperation some are going to, to try own something remotely looking like a Dino.
Old 30th August 2020, 10:05

Have you seen the price of most older kit cars. None are cheap anymore, even the old Duttons and the like. There isn't much under £3k especially with an MOT. Most of the older kit cars aren't even registered correctly, check before you buy.
Old 30th August 2020, 10:47

I agree it’s gone crazy. There was a move on e-bay recently asking £12.995 �� paint job looked ok in gulf colours but was a nova at the end of the day. Someone spent very good money and time on that vehicle. Do I think it was a waisted venture? Hell yeah, maybe it’s just my take on it but I can see why people build replicas of certain cars, these things should look as close to the real thing as possible, some replicas are not and look embarrassing. I’m all for replicas but let’s not get laughed at driving very poor shoddy copies of great cars.
The Karma for one is never going to make it, so should be buried as a really bad attempt at copying such an iconic car.
Rant over lol
Old 30th August 2020, 17:02

Rightly or wrongly I can see these cars becoming "classics" in their own right ! This Karma ( Now bid over £5k BTW ) and cars like the Nova will never be repeated in the future. We are 20 - 30 or more years down the road from when these cars were being produced, same with the Duttons etc. There will be a demand for them and people will pay the price !! There is an old Dutton Pheaton around the corner from me, I might see if the owner will let me have it !

Last edited by Lucky@LeMans; 30th August 2020 at 17:05..
Old 30th August 2020, 18:07

That’s great because it will push the price of the better replicas up so happy days, however mine isn’t for sale.
Can’t wait to see the final price. ����
Old 2nd September 2020, 19:02

Someone likes them

No v5 ?
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-53...g&toolid=11111

Last edited by redratbike; 2nd September 2020 at 19:12..
Old 2nd September 2020, 20:49

£7.900 really!!!! ����������
Old 5th September 2020, 12:16

thecarbuilder246 is on a distinguished road

Hi all
I thought Mark @ cascu was doing a run of 10 bodyshells? Then he was going back to only supplying bodyshells with a chassis. Has he sold them all? I know this covid crap has sort of messed everything up.
Old 6th September 2020, 11:51

poser is on a distinguished road
Unhappy desperately seeking dino [shell]

thanks for replies....I don't know the proposed schedule at CASCU, but yes I believe the chassis model/development might be taking priority.....
I asked if I could have a shell before the end of the year [brexit] but no joy...
two years is a very long time to wait......
I may have to go to de Haviland where I think lead time is about 10 weeks, but my chassis has 2340 wheelbase, so while the CASCU shell would fit straight on, the de Haviland one [w/base 2265] would need a substantial 'cut and shut'......
my fibreglassing skills are reasonable, so I'm not phased by that....just frustrated at the perfect fit being out of reach......!!!
Old 6th September 2020, 13:05

Hi there
What chassis have you got? The dehavilland chassis I think is the same wheel base as the old deon/Jhclassic one as they use the old bodyshell.I have a deon chassis and shell and I was lucky to get a cascu shell which was the last one mark made before he moved to france. I was going to build a chassis to fit the new shell based on the deon one-even made a mock up and purchased all the steel. Then mark unveiled some exciting cad drawings of a new chassis design so I'm now on the list for one of them.
I compared the cascu shell to the deon shell. There are a few small discrepancies around the doors/shape at the front of the doors but most is at the back.The wheel arches have been move 90mm forward towards the doors. And how the boot is I think they just cut 90mm out and the rebonded the back end back on. I've attached a few photo's
Ian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1146.jpg (82.5 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg 1160.jpg (93.7 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg 1158.jpg (84.3 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg 1153.jpg (85.8 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 1150.jpg (85.9 KB, 38 views)
Old 6th September 2020, 13:14

Hi again
The Bonnet on the deon is about 10/15mm longer than the cascu one. I guess this is to get it to fit with the droopy nose section? I've added another one to show size of the wheel arch to door as first one a bit unclear. Engine lid identical. A couple shows the fit of door skin and then one showing boot lid.
Ian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1161.jpg (87.5 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg 1145.jpg (87.4 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 1149.jpg (86.6 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 1154.jpg (85.5 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 1151.jpg (89.3 KB, 40 views)
Old 2nd October 2020, 08:53

smash is on a distinguished road

Guessing CASCU is 246 rep whereas Deon is 206 hence shorter wheelbase and body?

Besides the longer wheelbase and body every panel on a real 246 is different to 206 apparently
Old 21st October 2020, 04:01
Enthusiast

rossnzwpi is on a distinguished road
Default Cascu vs others

Yes Smash - Cascu say theirs was moulded from a genuine 246 while all the others - DGT, DeHavilland etc have their genesis in a 206 that had its wheelbase altered slightly to fit a Lotus Europa chassis. Many of those older ones seem to have developed a bit of a sag in the extremities too.
Old 12th February 2021, 11:58

Default dino

Hi there
Did you get any further with you search for a dino shell? Your quite right that the Jhc/Deon/DE Haviland 206 wheel base/rear wheel arch was altered to fit the Europa chassis. It was moved about 2 inch/50 mm inward towards the centre of the car. Also about 3 inch or 75mm was removed from the rear section and the boot. This may account for the rear looking odd/droopy/stumpy. The front droop varies from car to car and I'm told it was not on the original body fitted to the Europa chassis. The droopy front seems to have appeared at the time JHC had the production moulds made. Some claim it was when the floor moulding was bonded to the upper body moulding. The droopy nose also resulted in the bonnet being made 10/15mm longer on these cars.
Cascu knows the heritage of the moulds he has, and will tell you in person (I wont reveal here)and he also supplies chassis/chassis part to real Ferrari Dino owners. His interior parts/mouldings are also supplied to numerus Ferrari suppliers. I've attached a couple of photo's of cascu panels against the deon ones (mines a deon) the longer deon bonnet and boot. Engine cover is almost spot on.
Ian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1192.jpg (85.9 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1193.jpg (89.3 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1188.jpg (82.5 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1187.jpg (87.4 KB, 36 views)
Old 18th November 2022, 01:45

marko27 is on a distinguished road

I was in touch with Mark at Cascu some time ago about obtaining a shell and was lining up visiting him in France. Covid intervened and, many months later I tried to contact him again, but got no reply.
Is anyone else in touch with him about the shells? Has the Ferrari replica saga got something to do with it?