Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 25th August 2020, 12:04

MikeD is on a distinguished road
Default Mike's Build...Year 9... Nearly there

Quote:
[IMG]20200917_155922[/IMG]
It has been a long road since winter 2011 when I collected my Sammio from Gary at Poole.

The simple 1 year project which has always had to take a back seat is now nearing completion. Having been through retirement from work, house move to Somerset with associated builders etc..etc.. this summer ( In lockdown ) I have made much progress.

So today as it is too windy and squally to do much , I prefer always working outside. I thought I'd take to the Forum and at last master uploading some pictures as now the car is looking good.

This year I have managed to spray the body, under my Gazebo booth, cut it back and polish it, get all the electrics in and working... Fibreglass bodies and earths... and broken original loom and corroded rubber bullet connectors....

Now working on the interior, panels made still finishing off dashboard, happy days crawling under there!

More Pics as I get on...

Interior pretty much complete now, all dash wiring working at last . Guess next on the agenda is start up, it's been a while since I had her running, but I hope fuel and maybe clean points and plugs will bring her back to life. Did have a problem with the mechanical fuel pump just not sucking enough from the tank, removed it and operated it by hand until I had fuel then was OK. I have an electric pump but not sure where to fit it or whether to at all...

More Pics....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20200407-WA0005.jpg (98.6 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20200502-WA0000.jpg (103.6 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20200513-WA0002.jpg (93.4 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20200513-WA0003.jpg (97.0 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20200523-WA0000.jpg (103.4 KB, 300 views)

Last edited by MikeD; 17th September 2020 at 20:59.. Reason: add pictures
Available from eBay
Old 26th August 2020, 09:03

Mick O'Malley is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Brrrrrrrrrrrm

Looking good! Keep plugging away, your first dawn blat down a leafy and twisty B road beckons .

Regards, Mick
Old 26th August 2020, 20:23

redratbike is on a distinguished road

Looking good
Wow 9 years funny how life can get in the way
You are on the home straight now though
Old 26th August 2020, 21:42

molleur is on a distinguished road

Looks great!
Funny how thinks work out. I'm taking a break on my build
because of cataract surgery.
Old 26th August 2020, 23:42

1iTim is on a distinguished road

looks great MikeD, keep at it! I'm getting psyched up to glue my miglia body on. I'm freaking out about positioning it right - one only gets one go at it. yours looks really nice.

T
Old 27th August 2020, 14:12

cbjroms is on a distinguished road

MikeD - your painting looks great.

My build must have started around the same time. My Sammio is ready for MOT but I am going to run it unpainted for a few months before it gets painted. Will probably pay someone to finish body and paint - I have had to so much cutting/shutting that I have had it with fibreglass!
Old 27th August 2020, 14:24

Thanks for all the kind comments......Yes I am pleased with the paint. Not professional standard but cellulose sprayed outdoors then polished... I think it's acceptable. My aim is always " How does it look from across the road?? " It is more red than intended, but I guess that is a good thing ( Red cars go faster etc.. ) Having had the body so long the imperfections had mostly come out, although there are still a couple of star cracks. Still deciding whether to put numbers on it????
Old 7th September 2020, 23:20

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Mike – Well done to not giving up, I’m sure the red paint will help keep you going to the finish.

Good luck, Paul.

PS
My numbers are vinyl, so if you don’t like look of them so can simply peel them off again.
Old 18th September 2020, 19:37

Interior pretty much complete now, all dash wiring working at last . Guess next on the agenda is start up, it's been a while since I had her running, but I hope fuel and maybe clean points and plugs will bring her back to life. Did have a problem with the mechanical fuel pump just not sucking enough from the tank, removed it and operated it by hand until I had fuel then was OK. I have an electric pump but not sure where to fit it or whether to at all...
Old 20th September 2020, 22:27

1iTim is on a distinguished road

nice one. Interior pictures please?

thanks!

T
Old 20th September 2020, 23:40

Default More pics...

Some interior pictures, the dashboard is an early MG Midget which I think works quite well, much better than my attempt at a fibreglass one. The seats are from a Jaguar XK, the rest is home made.

As for the fuel pump, seems no problem with it but it wont suck the fuel from the tank. Grafted an electric pump in and she started right up. Now a new pump on order.... The road test is getting closer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200917_155902.jpg (96.8 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg 20200917_155829.jpg (95.4 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg 20200917_155805.jpg (98.4 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg 20200917_155922.jpg (98.5 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg 20200917_170836.jpg (97.7 KB, 58 views)
Old 20th September 2020, 23:44

Default Another picture

Sorry about the orientation of some os the pictures... Here's one of the proud owner
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200917_164303.jpg (96.7 KB, 209 views)
Old 31st October 2020, 07:28

Mike - I like your interior.

Are you on the road yet?

Good luck, Paul.
Old 31st October 2020, 10:56

Paul, thanks I really tried to make the interior not look too home made. I think too many cars are let down by the interiors, I blended a midget dashboard in after an unsuccessful attempt at using Gary's fibreglass one then made sure all fixings were not visible. Amazingly the Jag leather seats almost match the beige vinyl ( which is the old Herald rear seat cover!) The steering wheel was donated by a friend who had Spitfires for years.
Nearly ready for MOT if we are not locked down next week, had a radiator leak now sorted, all stickers now applied. Time to break out the overalls and helmet, its 2 miles downhill to the Test station so I should make that for the 1st run.........it is a long time since I bought the Herald in Essex and drove it around the M25 to Molesey
Old 24th November 2020, 19:16

MOT booked for 4th December, took it up the road today to test brakes... they lock the wheels when you really push hard so OK with that. It will be almost 9 years to the day since I started.
Had words with the MOT man who will let me into the garage during the test so I can see what's what. Expect some advisories as it's been so long I have forgotten half what I've done.
It is lively, spins wheels very easily. I think it is going to be FUN.

I have not registered as MOT exempt as I consider it is "substantially altered"... So fingers crossed for the 4th
Old 25th November 2020, 07:03

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Good luck with the MOT. Hope you get a pass or just a few simple fixes
Old 30th November 2020, 17:03

+1 for the good luck with the MOT wishes.
Old 20th February 2021, 06:47

Well yesterday was MOT 3rd time lucky??? The other 2 attempts were washed out by pouring rain - now I don't mind getting a bit wet but I had no inner wings so would have had water from rear wheels coming into th cockpit and in front over the engine?
Anyway yesterday it was damp and I now have inner wings ( of a sort) so down the hill to the testing station, just 2 miles.
Arrived ok, the first time the car had moved under its own power for 9 years, really fun to drive.
So it was taken into the garage by Michael, who is a really helpful guy but alas, even though my V5 is correct - Sammio Spyder, Red etc, etc the DVSA have it on record still as a yellow Triumph Herald hence no test yesterday. .

So home I drove leaving the paperwork confusion with Michael, I thought all was well on the registration front as when the body was bonded on by Gary way back in 2011 he dealt with the rebody and registration update - hence my correct V5, and in this time of lockdown who knows how long this will take
Old 20th February 2021, 12:05

NeilF355 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
So it was taken into the garage by Michael, who is a really helpful guy but alas, even though my V5 is correct - Sammio Spyder, Red etc, etc the DVSA have it on record still as a yellow Triumph Herald hence no test yesterday. .

So home I drove leaving the paperwork confusion with Michael, I thought all was well on the registration front as when the body was bonded on by Gary way back in 2011 he dealt with the rebody and registration update - hence my correct V5, and in this time of lockdown who knows how long this will take
Did you have the V5C with you at the MOT test?
A friend of mine told me he had a similar issue, the car was green, the V5C said green, but the MOT details said red. The mot tester corrected the MOT details on the spot from the V5C and proceeded with the test.
Old 20th February 2021, 13:19

Lucky@LeMans is on a distinguished road

The MOT tester can enter the details manually into the system at the time of the MOT. They have done this for me on a couple of occasions for the same reasons as above.