Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > General Build Chat

General Build Chat Area for general build chat, questions, tips, tricks and progress

Old 14th August 2020, 07:42

paul_n is on a distinguished road
Default pedal height from floor and throttle height difference ?

Hi all

Trying to find the best position for the Sherpa pedal box in the car I am building and have a problem ?

There seems to be a big height difference between the throttle pedal and the brake and clutch pedal ?

The brake and clutch are 5.25" [ 133mm] off floor

The throttle pedal is 2" [ 50mm ] off the floor.

So the height difference is 3.25" [ 82mm] that looks a lot ?

That means whilst the brake and clutch seem a comfortable height the throttle hits the floor before it has travelled very far and that is without the floor slope I need under the pedals for safety ?

Simples you say look at the cars on the drive ? all 3 are auto's and my friends two cars are auto's also !

regards Paul
Available from eBay
Old 14th August 2020, 07:59

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Hi Paul, it's quite difficult to envisage your setup, do you have a picture?

2" does sound like it's a bit close to the floor. I drove Sherpa Vans across Europe in the 80's and don't remember there being any particular issue with the throttle pedal.

The only picture of a pedal box in-situ that I could find was in this Sherpa V8 conversion thread, and it doesn't look like there's such a big difference in pedal heights -

http://www.cowdery.org.uk/fittingv8.php

I'm a big fan of floor pivoted throttle pedals like you find in the Triumph Vitesse and Herald. The pendulum throttle pedal in my MG sits too high for my liking - when my right foot is in a comfortable position for cruising, if I then floor the accelerator without lifting my foot first, the end of my foot drops off the bottom of the pedal so it pops back out and I lose all the go. That just can't happen with the Triumph floor pivoted type.

Anyway, good luck sorting out your pedal box.
Old 14th August 2020, 15:44

paul_n is on a distinguished road

Thanks Mister Towed

Quote:
2" does sound like it's a bit close to the floor. I drove Sherpa Vans across Europe in the 80's and don't remember there being any particular issue with the throttle pedal.
The van of course was much more upright seating , and of course you just got in it and drove it ?

Quote:
The only picture of a pedal box in-situ that I could find was in this Sherpa V8 conversion thread, and it doesn't look like there's such a big difference in pedal heights -
Probably misleading as that was a V8 conversion so only had brake and looks like separate/different throttle ?

I am trying to turn a Sherpa into an Edwardian car ?

I was mocking the cockpit up to get the height of the pedal box to allow me to make the firewall like this :-

Which looked good until I realised the throttle pedal was missing ? when I added that the problem outlined above was discovered ?

I could drop the floor a little under the pedals , however I don't think I need to as this car needs all the height it can get ?

regards Paul

Last edited by paul_n; 14th August 2020 at 15:49..
Old 14th August 2020, 21:51

Lucky@LeMans is on a distinguished road

Looks like you have plenty of space so it should be easy enough to either adapt an existing throttle pedal or fabricate one from scratch which would probably be the best solution.
Looks like an interesting project, the old Sherpa chassis does lend itself to that style of Edwardian car.