Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 19th May 2012, 13:50

tr7mgb is on a distinguished road
Default Engines & Boots/lockers

i am in a delema of which to buy, Cordite or Spyder, and therefore which donor.

I am leaning towards the Cordite, but i like the idea of the boot/locker space on the spyder.

anybody got a picture looking backwards behind seats on a cordite?

what sort of space does the cordite have behind the seats?

I see a large number have gone for the vitesse engine, however with them becoming rarer or more expensive, what is the popularity of the other herald engines? and what are they like once installed?
Available from eBay
Old 19th May 2012, 15:50

mulberry is on a distinguished road

hi tr7mgb

i myself have got a spyder baseed on the herald 13/60, no boot space. but its very light and quick for the little engine and nippy around the town with a stainless steel exhaust fitted sounds nice too. so dont think for 1 minute you have to find the larger engine.

gary
Old 19th May 2012, 16:44

tr7mgb is on a distinguished road

thanks Mulberry, i assume you did not move the tank back, hence no boot?
Old 19th May 2012, 17:04

chap68 is on a distinguished road
Default which to go for!!

chap68
hi there i think the spyder is a better looking car myself so ive gone for a cordite rear on a gt6 chassis with extended front my personal taste!! if you decide on a spyder i have a 1968 vittesse 2.0 man o/d convertible with only 30k on the clock body very rusty for sale perfect sammio donnor i want £650 for it with spare perfect bare chassis ready blasted for painting rot free ive supplied a few sammio builders withere donnor cars so good luck with what ever you decide cheers Andy, 07533285371.
Old 19th May 2012, 21:13

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Straight six sounds better, has more power but weighs more. Four cylinder donor would've been lighter, cheaper and easier to find though. On balance, for me, it had to be a six for the sheer aural delight when double de-clutching down changes. Having said that, the old Triumph fours sound better than pretty much any modern sports car through a stainless exhaust anyway so whatever you choose to base your Sammio on it's going to sound good.

Don't quote me on this, but I'm sure you could reposition the fuel tank on the Spitfire chassis to behind the rear axle to free up some luggage space in similar fashion to the way some of us Spyder builders have. You just need to teach yourself welding if you don't already have that skill.

Now, if you're really finding it difficult to decide then let fate intervene and buy the first great donor that pops out of the woodwork, whatever it happens to be. And I have to say that Chap68's offer of a Vitesse with a 'blasted chassis thrown in looks like a pretty good deal to me... d

Anyway, good luck making a decision, but you're already trying to choose between the best value kit car packages available - one Sammio or another.
Old 20th May 2012, 10:00

tlrtone is on a distinguished road

This is one from Stoneleigh.

It looks similar to the Spyder, so you should be able ot have a play with the position of the petrol tank and free up some room for a luggage compartment or boot.

You just need to be creative!