Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Chat > General chatter

General chatter This is the place to talk about anything kit car related that doesn't come under any of the other categories

Old 21st March 2013, 17:56

Ben Caswell is on a distinguished road

Depends on how many plants you can squeeze in, just the hydroponics to go now! ;-)
Old 22nd March 2013, 11:15
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Caswell View Post
Depends on how many plants you can squeeze in, just the hydroponics to go now! ;-)
I know a kitcar man that may know where to get some
Old 25th February 2014, 17:31
Enthusiast

GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road

It's been a while... The workshop got put on hold for most of last year due to lack of time and a lack of funds - but I've got cracking again.

I've finished boarding out the walls and celing, caulked the seams and painted it all white to reflect the light. Painting was a real bitch, as the OSB is uneven and required 'stippling' to get the paint to cover.

Or did, until my arms gave up and I bought a cheap Earlex HVLP sprayer to finish it off. Apparently it looked too much like fun, as Pauline kept pestering to have a go.

I've also had the electrician in and he's run the power to the shed and installed 6 double sockets, a sealed strip light and switch and a mini consumer unit.

Power is via a 6mm armoured cable from the garage, where it's hooked into the house via a spare way on the main consumer unit.

Next job is to lay the flooring (some garage floor / heavy vinyl courtesy of costco) and then build the benches.
Old 25th February 2014, 21:16

garyh is on a distinguished road

I had forgotten about this shed, surprising how quick time passes by.
Old 27th March 2014, 21:35
Enthusiast

More progress!

The shed floor is your normal tongue and groove job - so I laid an extra layer over the top of it to beef it up and to ensure the loads where spread evenly. I used waterproof flooring panels:

I then laid some heavy duty vinyl flooring that Pauline found at Costco - it's supposed to be for garage floors, is very thick and weighs a ton. It's not to easy to cut either! But it'll make cleaning up easier - we'll just have to see how it copes with swarf.

With the flooring down, I needed to think about workbenches. I did think about building my own out of timber or welding some frames up myself... But I saw an advert for some nice looking tables on eBay of all places. They mentioned they could do custom sizes, so I measured up, rang them and ordered two - one for the back gable wall, and one to go opposite the window in the gap left between the other table and the wall with the door in it.

I also asked them to weld some nuts into the legs so I could put some adjustable feet in to ensure I can level them up. The floor should be level... But no harm having them.

They arrived, and they just bolted together:

The larger of the two will be where my mill sits. It has two additional supports bolted in place in the centre of the bench, spaced as to pick up the bolt holes of the mill base.

The company that makes the benches doesn't supply the tops, so it's down to personal preference what you put on them. They suggest 18mm MDF, or steel plate for hot work if you're doing any. I went for 18mm marine plywood and then bonded a .7mm stainless steel sheet on top:

Wipe clean, oil and cutting fluid resistant - and if my mate is to be believed, could be used as a make shift morgue.

So - time to start moving machines in.

I asked my friend to give me a hand, and we managed to get the mill in:

I've been really paranoid about the Mill weight - it's 220Kg... But the bench hasn't buckled, the shed hasn't sunk and my friend and I didn't kill ourselves getting it in.

Anyway, that's as far as I've got. Now I need to call in another favour at the weekend to get the lathe installed under the window.
Old 28th March 2014, 08:08
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Wow, those workbenches look fabulous!

When is the workshop open for commissions??
Old 28th March 2014, 08:54

garyh is on a distinguished road

Really great, excellent work. Can you tell me the companies name please.
Old 28th March 2014, 09:08

chrislandy is on a distinguished road

They look really good, what is the company and how much were they?

Just need to get the tools on the wall now and looks like you'll be ready to roll.
Old 28th March 2014, 18:33
Enthusiast

The tables are from a place call Tecnik in Hereford. They don't appear to have a website, but they do advertise / sell through eBay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/workshop-b...-/221197273675

They can make pretty much whatever size you want, but they do have some standard sizes that they keep in stock. Both of mine are custom sized, (2290 x 750 and 1590 x 600) and like I said they welded in nuts for adjustable feet and added two extra cross members for the mill bench. All that inclusive of delivery and vat was £270. The tops cost extra, obviously - but you source those yourself.

Their phone number is 01432 341555

Pete - let me get my lathe in, and we'll have a chat
Old 28th March 2014, 19:40

chrislandy is on a distinguished road

Thats seriously good value! I may have a new purchase in the nearish future....
Old 31st March 2014, 15:06

davecymru is on a distinguished road

That all looks very smart, although until you've got a selection of random unknown bits on the walls (i.e. fan belts that you've no idea what they fit) then it'll never be truly finished!