Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 10th November 2014, 12:20

Scottie22 is on a distinguished road
Default Monday

Before I can strengthen the under side of the scuttle, I have to fit the dash in its final position, and only then can I see where the reinforcements need to go.

So I have to eventually put more metal back into the scuttle, then build a bracing frame under there, and connect it to the original Triumph strong point anchor with the captive nuts of the "H" frame, and then connect it to the new dash lower edge.

So first things first, I have spent all morning fiddling with the two dash halves, I have bolted them together now, so they will go in the car as one piece, which has made things slightly easier....... I think!

I have modded the gearbox cover, so I can get a lower profile on the transmission tunnel, when I get round to making that.

Also I have drilled all the holes in the fibre glass dash top and screwed the dash in place, it will have to come out again, but before that happens, I need to make the dash top cover. I have a cardboard pattern for that now.

I am having a lunch break, and a quick visit to the scrappie, as I am running short of aluminium!

Pics:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 10th November 2014, 19:28

Default Monday 2nd session

Well. I went to the scrappie, but they had no aluminium, but I found a strip in my shed, which was the right size, but really bent and battered. I hammered it around for a long time and got it flat enough to use as the top dash panel.

The throw away line of "I'll knock one out" was easy to say, but knocking one out took all the afternoon!

At least now I know all the dash fits, and all the holes are in the right places
for assembly after I have to re-fit later in the build.

Now I can take the lot out, and get on with re-inforcing the scuttle, and bracing the dash from the floor up.

Pics:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 10th November 2014, 20:31

Alpha is on a distinguished road

Scottie, there seems to be an issue with your pictures - they no longer show in your posts...
Old 10th November 2014, 20:48

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

Pictures showing fine for me
Old 10th November 2014, 21:21

yes and for me too, what's up alpha?
Old 11th November 2014, 06:01

Paul L is on a distinguished road

I can also see the photos and the dash is looking good.
Old 11th November 2014, 06:51

Photos are now back up for me, no idea what happened...

Damn computers, at least with an old Triumph you can always blame the Prince of Darkness...
Old 11th November 2014, 06:55

And that dash is looking spectacular scottie!
Old 11th November 2014, 07:01

Thanks for the encouragement fellahs, glad to hear your problem is resolved Alpha!
Old 11th November 2014, 07:45

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Don't worry Alpha, I couldn't see Scottie's pictures last night either, just the little oblong image icon.

Dash is looking great Scottie, your on-the-road date is looming. Daunting, eh?
Old 11th November 2014, 08:46

Yes I suppose it is Mr Towed, but it just underlines how absolutely naive I must have been to have thought it would be finished for the last Stoneleigh!

Most of the things I have to do to the car now, will be very much on show, so I can't rush it.

Although the dash looks right, its still got to be stripped right out again, so I can do the hidden reinforcing behind it.

I have the doors to sort out, the rain channels to put in place, the locks for the doors, and all the interior paneling, not to mention the inner wheel arches, the list goes on, but so will I,
and each day brings the big day closer. :-)
Old 11th November 2014, 16:14

Default Tuesday PM

I went out to the car to start stripping the dash back out, when I realised there was one more small outstanding job to do, while it was still in place.

I had forgotten the mirror fixing rod, which even the crappiest replica's have, well, this would never do!

Back down to the scrapyard with my micrometer, where I found a couple of feet of 6mm steel wire, (solid).

Over the years I have developed the "kicked puppy" look when I ask "how much do you want for this?" so he gave it to me for nothing. There is a whole long list of stuff I've had for nothing, as I think he feels sorry for me.

So my cunning plan actually works.

Anyway, the scrappie will eventually get to see the finished car, as I will take it there to put on his weighbridge. I'm itching to know what it will finally weigh.

I think he will be quite surprised to see what I've managed to make with his junk.

Anyhow, I brazed a little foot on the end of my 10 inches of straightened out wire, drilled a couple of holes and now it looks ok.

Pics:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11th November 2014, 19:48

jones is on a distinguished road

Nice touch, that dash is looking great! Lovely attention to detail.
Old 13th November 2014, 07:51

garyh is on a distinguished road

are you selling your house, Scottie...
Old 13th November 2014, 08:15

froggyman is on a distinguished road

Scottie lives in a tent in the garden with his car!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 13th November 2014, 08:33

If only Gary!

I think froggyman's closer to it, I seem to spend more time in the tent than in the house!
I sometimes view the tent as the "emporium of torture" and often dread going out to it!

But I have to keep going now, or I will just own a pile of junk!
Old 13th November 2014, 11:26

a big scary monster is on a distinguished road

I went into the workshop at 7pm to do some upholstery work, lit the wood burning stove sat next to it whilst it was getting going and that's where she found me fast asleep at 11pm curled up on the rug with a pair of spaniels. So a comfortable work environment is not always condusive to getting much done, plus the fire had all but gone out and I was a bit chilly. I must admit that productively has slowed with the on set of winter I'm outside all day and don't feel like doing anything once home, so you have my respect for your work ethic and unrelenting ambition to make it like you want it. Ed.

Last edited by a big scary monster; 13th November 2014 at 11:30.. Reason: manually correcting my phones auto correct?
Old 13th November 2014, 12:32

Thanks for the kind words Ed, but I have to be honest, some days, I just cannot face going out there into the cold, and find other jobs to do that can be done up in my workshop, or down in my garage.

Well it is a garage, and years ago when I first moved into the house I parked my car in it.

What a luxury that was, as since then, like most people I have accrued a mountain of crap in there, like drying machines,freezers, weight training machines and kit, bikes etc.
And now, there is like an alleyway from the main front garage doors to the door at the rear, and I have to labour at times to keep that clear!

Okay, when I first stripped out my Spitfire donar last year, I was just going to build an XKSS type of car, and leave the gear lever, handbrake etc intact. Then I decided to go all the way, so I modded the gear lever and fitted a Jaguar one, ditto for the handbrake, which was also offset to the left as per.

At that stage, with a sinking heart, I realised there was no going back, so I hacked out the steering lock, and also got rid of the Spitfire light and indicator stalks.

I then loosened all the steering column off and cut 2 inches out of it. as it was nor far too long. (without the stalks and lock)

At the same time I ordered a new nylon steering bush.

Fast-forward to the present, now I have the dash in its final position, I can now alter the steering column length to its finished
geometry and fit the new bush.

So that is what I have just done, now its all tight and shipshape with no play. I am pleased with this because I suspect I will be relying heavily on the steering wheel to get in and out of the car
due to the cramped cockpit dimensions!

It will become a lever and a steadying bar to aid my entry and exit!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 13th November 2014, 12:48

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

I love a good fit bush

;-)
Old 13th November 2014, 12:57

Oh WCA you ARE AWFUL!