Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 30th December 2014, 10:25

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Lots of truly beautiful cars there.

Although it does look like they are never driven and that seems a real shame to me.

Cars in a museum is one thing, but if I could actually afford a private collection of that size, I'd rather have a fraction of the cars and use the extra money for a mechanic and valet to keep them in top condition after I've been out on the road with them.

Now where did I put my lottery ticket?

Cheers, Paul.
Old 30th December 2014, 16:00

Tribute Automotive is on a distinguished road

Looks like he got a good price for it:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...et-Jaguar.html

That reminds me, I must sign up for the dentist soon, good job they don't charge much!

Last edited by Tribute Automotive; 30th December 2014 at 16:04..
Old 30th December 2014, 20:05

Scottie22 is on a distinguished road

Well. I think that link says it all!
Old 30th December 2014, 21:04

landmannnn is on a distinguished road

He started a chain of dentists, fair play to him to have earned that much cash.
Old 31st December 2014, 09:34

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Just fabulous, I particularly like the collection of pedal cars stored in racks at the back of picture 1.
Old 31st December 2014, 12:57

scimjim is on a distinguished road

I believe that the prototype 4WD Scimitar GTE went in that collection too - still not sure what JLR intend to do with it.
Old 1st January 2015, 15:47

garyh is on a distinguished road

Happy new year, Scottie. Have a look at Spectre coatings for spraying chrome.
Old 1st January 2015, 17:38

Default New Years day

Well, I went out to the car to connect and test my stereo unit, which I had fitted before the Christmas period.
I connected the speakers up, and the live and earth, and it would not work.
Poosticks! Or something like that!

Flat battery, totally dead, so dead, that I'm wondering whether I have a leak somewhere that is draining the (new) battery.

One way I know is to fit a cut off switch, but the right way is to find the offending "leak" Any ideas anyone???????

Just over a year ago, when I re-routed the battery to the boot, I posted a picture of it, (complete with its 42 year old post type lead connectors, and was immediately chided my Mick O'Mally. Quite rightly too.

I bought more modern replacement units, as I knew Mick was right, but of course, it never got done. So now was an ideal opportunity to play catch-up.

The battery now has its new "modern" connectors.

Take note Mick!

Incidentally, Mick is building an A352, a rather nice looking one too. and also like me, he is trying to replicate a specific Jaguar, but he has chosen the D Type to model his build on, I believe, complete with rear fin.

I do look forward to seeing that one finished too.

Right, back to my build. About a year ago, when I started stripping out my donar Spitfire, I did some minor welding in the drivers footwell, which has since developed surface rust, and that has to go, so I sanded it out and gave it the Kurust teatment.

Also the passengers side too.

After the Kurust had dried, (quite quickly, as it was assisted by me and my heat-gun)

I intended to paint the floor in a rust preventative silver paint, which I had
bought last year.

It warned me on the tin that the colour may vary in silver tone, but it did not warn me that the paint was in fact fu**ing grey, and unless an effing miracle occurs during the drying process, it will stay that way.

Still. considering the whole floor area will be hidden by ally panels, seats carpets and the like, it matters not a fig, except to say it is very irritating.

I got carried away as usual, and painted the entire boot interior in my "silver" paint, so that was not a bad way to be carried away.

So, to summarise, I did not really achieve all of what I set out to do, but by the next session, the paint will have dried, the battery will be charged, so I will be able to finally test the stereo, and then paint the passengers side "silver"

here are some pics, not necessarily in the right order:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 1st January 2015, 17:44

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

Tata (owners of JLR) are planning on building up the historic brand credibility of the Jaguar history.

For example they just built the last of the light weight e-types based on old chassis numbers. there is a chance of some new XKSS based on the fire damaged chassis numbers too I guess.

The Indians have invested heavily in making Jaguar fit as a company since they bought it. Now they can start investing in making it a desirable brand again
Old 1st January 2015, 19:23

Thanks for the info WCA, if they do build an XKSS I'll snap it up quick, before any multi- millionaires get a chance.................:-)
Old 2nd January 2015, 16:24

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Scottie - Every job helps, so you are still heading in the right direction & the floors look good painted.

Good luck, Paul.
Old 2nd January 2015, 17:38

The boot in my Z300S has some water ingress issues - I forgot to put any cover over the boot lid brake light opening.

I have dried it out and sealed the hole but the boot floor could do with a rust treatment and respray.

What is the best solution people have found for new(ish) painted metal with relatively minor surface rust?

My hope it to rust proof the floor of the boot and then fit some removable foam sound proofing to level the boot floor. I don't want to fit the insulation before i treat the floor as it will hide any rust that is happening.

Advice please
Old 2nd January 2015, 18:26

WCA, wire brush / sand any loose rust off, treat with kurust, and hand paint over with hammerite paint in any colour.
Done correctly, you will never have a rust problem in that area again.

Simples :-)
Old 2nd January 2015, 18:32

landmannnn is on a distinguished road

POR15 sticks nicely to a rusty surface.
Old 2nd January 2015, 20:42

I have a little tub of POR15 from when I did the chassis of the Scimitar. I might give that a go.
Old 3rd January 2015, 23:51

8 Valve Ed is on a distinguished road
Default Hi and a Happy New year to everyone

Hi Scottie, I have just read your entire build thread, it's taken me most of the week in between working on my Marlin restoration.

I have really enjoyed the whole story, you are doing a great build, I really admire your tenacity and ingenuity, working on a shoe string is a great way to discover alternative solutions!

I am trying to read as many build threads as I can, I learn a little every time and it's a good incentive to get out there and do some more tasks. My project has stalled for the last year for several reasons but I am now back on full steam with a chassis up restoration.

While you seem to feel that a formal list of tasks is unhelpful, I rely on my list to stay focused. When I started, I sat down and created a spreadsheet with a list for every aspect of the project, then as tasks are completed I change their status to 'Done' from 'In Progress' or 'Not Started'.

Taken just before Christmas...

Old 4th January 2015, 08:00

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Nice spreadsheet Ed, I used a similarly high-tech tool to monitor my build: an old envelope with a list of tasks scrawled on it in biro.

Plan 'A' then quickly failed when my wife put said envelope in the recycling, so, like most amateur enthusiasts on this site I took a far more organic-holistic than anal-digital approach to managing my build and just got on with it.

Your chassis does look very nice btw, if you finish the rest of the car to the same standard it'll be a corker.

I've always liked the Marlin, it was on my wish list back in the early 80's. I might've actually built one then if I hadn't been seduced by the Covin 356 Speedster. Luckily for me I hadn't actually paid Covin any money when they went bust, and all my efforts then went into restoring the Type 3 Squareback I'd bought as a donor, followed by a Ratty Beetle project then wife/house/offspring.

Once my desire to build a car was rekindled as I approached the big five-oh, Marlin had gone so far upmarket that they were out of my price range for a mid-life-crisis-man-toy. Thank goodness for Gary J and his Sammio project!

If you need some motivation to crack on, check out this month's 'Octane' magazine. You'll find a fascinating article on the Supercharged Alfa 6C 1750 that inspired the original Marlin design -

Che bella macchina!
Old 4th January 2015, 08:18

Wow! You've done me proud Ed, I admire your tenacity!

At times I have tried read complete threads, and always end up just skimming through.

Your Marlin looks to be coming on really well, should look the part when complete.

I often joke about ingenuity being driven by poverty, but really, that is the case.
I wanted an XKSS, and there are several companies in the business of building them, and they talk of "owning a fabulous re-pro, for a fraction of the price of a real one"

The "fraction of the price" in XKSS terms appears to be between
£60, 000 and £125,000.
I really did not have that sort of small change lying around.

So I had to make just about everything myself, but as you say, it goes to show it can be done.

I have learnt so much from this forum and all the people on it, and that has made the build easier than it would have been.

Your list looks good, but I still can't get my head round lists for me!

Its all in my head, and I seem to be able to function reasonably well that way
Good luck with your build and look forward to seeing the finished pics.

Scottie
Old 4th January 2015, 12:59

8 Valve Ed is on a distinguished road

Mr T, It's a long story but this is my second Marlin, I restored a Roadster about three years ago on DVLA's assurance that it would not need an IVA, I spent north side of £2300 on it and then they asked for an IVA... Had I known then what I know now I wouldn't have even attempted it but I stupidly trusted DVLA's word.

The really sad thing was I had helped do the original build back in '82 with my mate and I had always fancied the car, but my mate was a bit unpredictable and I was reluctant to ask to buy it from him. In the end he gave it me but it had been stood outside in a wood since about '88 and was in a bad way.

I was put onto this second Marlin which had also stood for a long time, I have the last tax disk which is dated 29/2/92. It was originally a Cortina Pinto build but somebody had swapped the Ford engine for a Rover 3500 but very badly. I am having to rectify all those issues and I am converting it back to a manual gearbox which means modding the pedal box to accept a hydraulic master cylinder.

This is a pretty nice pic of what I am using as a guide for my build.

I have about 100 pix of the 1930 Alfa 6 and 8 cars. I am not aiming at a replica but trying to incorporate as many key features of the original cars, like the bonnet shape and hopefully, eventually the windscreen. Definitely the scuttle and dashboard. I have formed the scuttle from 1.5mm aluminium on my English Wheel which I built myself, I am currently working on the transmission tunnel and gearbox cover, which is almost finished. Only three days to make the gearbox cover!!! ;-) LOL

Better crack on, while it isn't quite so cold outside.
Old 4th January 2015, 18:16

adventuresoftimtim is on a distinguished road

Hey Scottie, some really great progress since my last visit and a good coat of paint... even in a footwell or boot makes a big difference!

I'm glad to hear Mick is building a A352 as well... the more of these awesome looking cars the better!

I'm still trying to decide what to do with my herald... mainly by ogling pictures!! (hopefully moving to a house with a nice big garage in a month will mean I can start a build)

Meanwhile my current little garage has a Marlin Roadster in it which is great fun to drive.

Ed can I ask what reason did the DVLA give for insisting on an IVA? was it incorrectly registered? Anyway hope you get your new one built! The first sunny day drive you go on and it'll all seem worth it!