Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 20th November 2010, 12:29

NigelB is on a distinguished road
Default Coil spring compressors

Can anyone tell me what spring compressors they used to fit the springs to the front shocks.

I've tried four different types now (including a trip to the local garage who didnt have anything the right size) but still haven't found anything suitable. They all seem to be too big for the 3" coil diameter or the jaws are too large to get between the coils or to allow clearance to pass the shock through the coil once it's compressed.

Does anyone have any suggestions.

Cheers

Nigel
Available from eBay
Old 20th November 2010, 15:20
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

I used a very old coil spring compressor on which the "hooks" are bent from a metal strip rather then being cast. As I recall it was still a tight fit but it did the job.

I think I still have it if you want to borrow it.

Robin
Old 20th November 2010, 20:14
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

I used a rather unsafe way of compressing the springs.
I first compressed the spring and then tied the middle coils together with thick synthetic rope on opposite sides and mounted the springs on the shocks.
After securing the coil on the shock, I cut through the rope with a sharp stanley knife.
I do not recommend you follow my idea as it was b***dy dangerous!

i think if you search on-line for 'Motorcycle spring compressors' you'll find something more suitable and safe.

Or just grab Robin's offer of borrowing his.........

...peter
Old 21st November 2010, 11:15
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

Used the hook / screw down type you can get in halfords I use 2 sets, 2 from one set for the main work and a 3rd one as a safety.
Old 21st November 2010, 19:17

Simon is on a distinguished road

Only slightly less dangerous than Peter's method...(!) but ratchet straps (used for strapping down luggage) seem to work quite well (see link below):

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/34506/...0Pack%20of%202

I've used these many times in the past and still have all my fingers !

You need to use a couple to compress the spring equally on each side and make sure that the straps don't slide over to the same side. I recommend using a long screwdriver to release the mechanism...

Good luck!

Simon
Old 23rd November 2010, 22:14

NigelB is on a distinguished road

I've chickened out and gone for a 'cash based' solution (but nothing too painfull........)

I went to a motorsport services outfit this afternoon to see if they had a suitable tool to compress the springs.

Their first question was "why are the springs so long?".

So I now have some 8" springs instead of the 9 1/2" ones that Marlin supply. The spring rate is the same at 300lbs per inch and there's no need for a spring compressor. Just wind the spring seat to the top of the shock, slide the shock into the sping and there's enough clearance at the other end to locate the collar on the shock shaft. Wind the spring seat back half an inch, the spring is secure and the job's done.

The question is, will I miss an inch and a half..................??!!

Nigel
Old 23rd November 2010, 22:39
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

shouldn't think so, there's lots of travel on the front suspension. You'd just end up winding them up higher.

One thing to keep in mind for IVA is the headlight height. Had mine wound up a bit to get to the min height
Old 24th November 2010, 07:23
Enthusiast

GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road

You know, I didn't have to compress mine (the only time I used my spring compressors was when I was dismantling the donor) - so I guess I had shorter springs like you do now.

Nice to see consistancy in what's supplied, as mine came direct from Marlin.

Top tip when you do the rear springs (If you haven't done them already) - put the sping in the lower seat, align it with the top and then use a trolly jack to lift the trailing arm up. The weight the chassis compresses the spring just enough to get the shock bolt aligned and done up.