Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Closed Thread

Old 15th May 2008, 23:18
Enthusiast

GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road

No, they haven't - but I have posted the full text in the MOC forums.

I'm taking my wishbones with me on Saturday - but they are essentially the same as yours and Patricks new ones....
Old 15th May 2008, 23:25
Enthusiast

alackofspeed is on a distinguished road

Considering there are no doubt a number of cars that have been sold on by their original builder, and that the wishbone failing is potentially very dangerous (both to the occupants of the Sportster and 3rd parties), is there a way a kit manufacturer can use DVLA records to ensure all owners are notified?
Old 16th May 2008, 08:32
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

Personally I am very pleased Marlin have decided to take positive action. My only comment is that perhaps it should have happened a bit quicker as a number of builders have been getting rather disillusioned which is a pity as the Sportster is a great car.

I think once wishbones have been inspected and either replaced or given the OK there should be some paperwork to accompany it. I can see the insurance companies getting the hump about this if they latch on to it.

Robin
Old 16th May 2008, 13:45
Enthusiast

DavidH is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinClan View Post
Personally I am very pleased Marlin have decided to take positive action.
I agree, althought it does not directly effect me as I'm building a 5exi, its nice to see Terry and Mark taking such a responsible action. This is quite un-unusual in the kit car industry as a whole to react at all let alone so quickly within months not years and so should be commended .

Personally I'm a bit puzzled why everyone is so surprised by their stance on postage or the timing. From what I have seen in the past this is just following automotive standard practice (perhaps thats the topic for debate).

E.g. if you have a manufactured car and you get a recall (i've had many) its at your cost to take it to the dealer for inspection they dont pay your petrol (which these days is almost as much as postage).

Equally on timing all manufacturers make sure they have the parts and notes to dealer networks to deal with a recall before announcing it (many require more than 2 failures to take such a step), whats different about Marlin making sure they have the move out the way and the equipment to supply replacement wishbones if necessary.

Just my 2p's worth as I would hate to see such a positive move discouraged.
Old 17th May 2008, 10:46
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road

This is a positive step, but one which is long overdue.
When Patrick's car failed out on the road SIX MONTHS ago Marlin should have responded almost much more quickly. As it was, it was left to Patrick to notify evryone.
Marlin's recall does not involve big numbers - they did not need to gear up for it. In the meantime owners were put at serious risk. I fail to see how anyone can be so blase about a potentially life threatening fault.

Mainstream manufacturers do not make you pay for rectifications to recall items either.
Mike
Old 17th May 2008, 11:15
Big Cheese

JG has disabled reputation

I think Marlin's recall is probably a first in the kit car industry (I could be wrong but I don't ever remember another one) so this is unchartered territory for them and for those it affects. You can't compare this to mainstream manufacturer re-calls, it's chalk and cheese. They don't have dealer networks and thousands of mechanics at hand to put things right, they don't have an extensive R&D department to examine the cause of these failures and produce a quick turnaround (and since when have mainstream manufacturers taken less than 6 months months to publish a re-call) I'm sure Marlin will do their upmost to put things right. They are trying their best, give them some slack.

John
Old 17th May 2008, 16:55
Enthusiast

Ferg is on a distinguished road

I'm going to have to disagree with you here, John.
You simply cannot compare the two industries. Marlin must surely have details of anyone who has bought an affected kit from them which is probably not the case with mainstream manufacturers and surely a higher percentage of those vehicles would be in the hands of their original purchasers than if they were mainstream cars.

In addition, kitcar manufacturers (due to the microscopic market they are in, relatively speaking) cannot afford to risk anything in public relations terms.

GTM had a suspension failure recall. It was done within two days of the incident and that you hadn't heard of it is, I think, a testament to the efficiency with which it was dealt.

The details contained in this thread really have shocked me. It's not a good advert for the industry.
Old 17th May 2008, 17:31
Big Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferg View Post
The details contained in this thread really have shocked me. It's not a good advert for the industry.
I don't agree with that statement. I havn't gone back through it all but from memory the wishbone failed, it was replaced by Marlin with a new re-designed one. At this point as far as I know this was an isolated incident so no need for a recall. It looks like since then another failure of the same design wishbone has come to light and Marlin have now issued this recall. Now I'm not privvy to time lines and all the facts but I can't see how this could or should show Marlin or the kit industry in a bad light.

John
Old 17th May 2008, 17:36
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

My parts have been replaced and I want to leave the issue there.

I do have outstanding issues with Marlin but none that I want to drag into the public light.

All I can say is they are doing a good thing with the recall and will give peace of mind to many Sportster drivers.
Old 17th May 2008, 18:12
Enthusiast

Ferg is on a distinguished road

John,
When a safety critical situation arises it is surely of the utmost importance that the matter is dealt with quickly.
If we assume that Marlin now see the situation as serious enough to issue this notice then 'isolated' incident or not, they should have made exhaustive inspections at the time.
If they did and decided it was truly a safe part then they should stand by that now and be happy with the design/workmanship.
I appreciate that the new design wishbone is due to a design upgrade relating to a component change, but the old part is either up to the job or it isn't.
ONE failure unless it can be proved to be due to mechanical damage post-fitment, should, in my opinion, be enough to bring about recall for inspection.
I'm sure 'the-powers-that-be' would consider this sort of incident as a reason to make building our own cars far more bureacraticaly difficult, if not illegal.
That may be OTT and maybe a bit knee-jerk, but can we AFFORD to be complacent??
Old 17th May 2008, 18:44
Big Cheese

I guess thats where we probably disagree, I don't think Marlin have been complacent. We don't know all the facts behind the re-call so it's all conjecture. People are just seeing a 6 month time lag between this first being reported and a re-call being issued without a thought for what's happened between those times and just jumping to negative conclusions.

The fact is Marlin are holding there hands up to a potential problem with the wishbone and have issued a recall. Seems sensible to me. The logistics for that recall are no doubt up for debate and maybe the wording of the recall could have been better, but they are doing something about it which is the important thing.

It's a first for them and no doubt a worrying time, as said before unchartered territory so may not have come up with the best way of addressing it (I can't see how they can please everyone)
Old 17th May 2008, 20:44
Big Cheese

This thread has effectively reached a conclusion with the recall notice made by Marlin which has now been stickied on the Sportster forum.

http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/foru...ead.php?t=1694

As such and with Patrick's comments above the thread is now closed.

Cheers, John
Closed Thread