Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin 5exi builds

Marlin 5exi builds Calling all you sexi builders....sorry 5exi builders, show us your progress.

Old 25th July 2010, 20:29
Enthusiast

Ric H is on a distinguished road
Default Ball Joint Parts

Hi,
Seem to have stripped the threads out of one of the locknuts on a front upper ball joint. Has anyone confirmed what these joints actually are? I've picked up from other threads that the lower joints are Mk1 Cavalier, QH part QSJ755, but I can't find an obvious vauxhall candidate for the upper joint. I don't necessarily need a whole new joint but it's possible the threads on the joint are worn or damaged and that has contributed to it stripping. From measurement, the shank appears to be 11/16" 16tpi (pretty sure it's not metric), which isn't a standard UNF size but I have seen 11/16" jamming nuts available - particularly in america or here. Hopefully they're 16tpi. Anyone know anything more?

Richard
Available from eBay
Old 25th July 2010, 21:42
Enthusiast

alackofspeed is on a distinguished road

I have some old balls joints somewhere...... if I can find them, you can have them - they're no use to me, as they don't fit my car any more.
Old 27th July 2010, 18:41
Enthusiast

Just got the new nuts from ebay.... and they're 18tpi not 16tpi aaargh!
Looking at the ball joint it seems to me that what's caused the problem is that the threaded insert in the wishbone is slightly undersize (must just be a tolerance problem I think since I can't think of any other thread that would be so close?) and has damaged the ball joint threads a little - just enough to disengage and thus strip the jamming nut threads anyway. Looks like I am going to need a new ball joint - and ideally an 11/16 16tpi UNS tap to open up the wishbone threads... anyone got one of those on the shelf?! I'm meant to be driving up to Scotland on Friday with a friend. I'll see if I can get a part number off Marlin tomorrow - John, have you had any luck finding your spare joints?
Old 27th July 2010, 19:59
Enthusiast

bigrich is on a distinguished road

Hi Rich,

I don't have any spares (sorry) but recall on a thread somewhere that the upper balljoints are landrover steering tie bar links?

ATB

Rich
Old 27th July 2010, 21:03
Enthusiast

Brilliant Rich! You're right I think, looking at this.
People selling taps too
I imagine I can get one in the area easily enough.

Thanks a lot for the info.
Old 28th July 2010, 00:29
Enthusiast

alackofspeed is on a distinguished road

If mine are anywhere, they're in the loft. I can have a look tomorrow (actually, make that today - Wednesday) evening, though I guess that's too late for your planned trip. Having heard the mention of Landrover, that has jogged a memory, and it's what I recall being mentioned in the past. I'll have a look for the joints tomorrow, but suspect you'll source some new ones locally in the meantime.
Old 29th July 2010, 20:02

sylvazx is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric H View Post
Just got the new nuts from ebay.... and they're 18tpi not 16tpi aaargh!
Looking at the ball joint it seems to me that what's caused the problem is that the threaded insert in the wishbone is slightly undersize (must just be a tolerance problem I think since I can't think of any other thread that would be so close?) and has damaged the ball joint threads a little - just enough to disengage and thus strip the jamming nut threads anyway. Looks like I am going to need a new ball joint - and ideally an 11/16 16tpi UNS tap to open up the wishbone threads... anyone got one of those on the shelf?! I'm meant to be driving up to Scotland on Friday with a friend. I'll see if I can get a part number off Marlin tomorrow - John, have you had any luck finding your spare joints?
I had problems with one of my front wishbones when building my car a few years ago. When screwing the top balljoint into the top wishbone it suddenly went tight and jammed solid. The problem was caused during the welding of the threaded insert onto the top wishbone, a little too much heat during welding had caused the thread to melt inside the insert and it locked up on the balljoint thread. this destroyed the balljoint thread during attempts to unscrew it. Marlin replaced the wishbone FOC. would suggest you clean out with a tap before fitting another balljoint or it may tear the thread up again.

John