Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Contact         Home of UK kit cars - Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > General Build Chat

General Build Chat Area for general build chat, questions, tips, tricks and progress

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th May 2017, 19:04
Cb Cb is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 3
Cb is on a distinguished road
Smile Rescue 3/4 built MK kit

i have acquired a very well partially built mk kit car.
The kit is built with all parts direct from mk except for the engine/gearbox and rear drum brakes and what looks like the steering column. I have looked round the car and can find all major parts on their website. Unfortunately there is no receipts for the kit or parts as they have been lost. the previous owner has been building for 5years in his garage but gave up
It has a 2L pinto engine in it with a shortened sump and twin webbers. But there is no water system yet and the loom still needs finishing for the dash and lights.
My question as I would like to make it road legal, should I buy a 2l ford focus and swap engine and anything else I can to enable me to use the reg from the donor or should I keep going with the pinto.
Any help appreciated
Reply With Quote
Available from eBay
Old 6th May 2017, 23:16
JG's Avatar
JG JG is offline
Senior Member
Big Cheese
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 1,067
JG has disabled reputation

Welcome to the forum.

You wouldn't be able to use the reg from any other vehicle as you aren't using the donor chassis. Crack on with what you have and IVA it. See if the previous owner has some build photos he can give you which will help come DVLA time (might even have photos of donor car if any). If the MK chassis has a chassis number supplied by MK then they should be able to help with purchase history I would have thought.

Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2017, 10:37
Cb Cb is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 3
Cb is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the advice, I will carry on with what I have has suggested, I have spoken to MK and they dont have records of transactions going back that far. will finish off engine bay, loom and cab and see where I go from there. Is this a good place to ask for exhaust fabricators in bolton area.
Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2017, 08:52
Mister Towed's Avatar
Mister Towed Mister Towed is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 5,281
Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

You could also try for an 'age related' registration if you can prove you've used at least two major components from an old car, such as your Pinto engine and gearbox -

This is the route that allows some of the very expensive Jaguar C and D Type replicas to run with a period registration.

You don't need to know the reg from the car that gave up it's engine, you'll just get a new, unique registration from the year the engine was built.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2017, 10:30
retro200 retro200 is offline
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: halifax
Posts: 85
retro200 is on a distinguished road
Default kit car registration

hi there cb i think from past experience what you need is firstly a iva pass cert and then a "doner v5" from a sierra /escort or whatever the car is based on, to get a "age related plate" other wise you could be looking at a "Q" plate
Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +0. The time now is 13:41.

copyright © 2000-2021
terms and conditions | privacy policy