Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 16th June 2012, 15:05

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Cheers Andy, I really appreciate that, Paul.
Old 16th June 2012, 15:17

AndyP57 is on a distinguished road

These are the ones. Simple but effective. can be operated by either a finger in the ring pull or a cord attached 'early mini stylee'
Old 2nd July 2012, 18:24

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

Barrys car went in for its MOT Friday ....the car failed on insufficient handbrake and a couple of wiring issues ....a tail light that worked perfectly before its 500 yard drive to the MOT !

We did the work this morning , its sorted now...virtually everything on this car is new , including the engine....its very nice !!

Car is going to have its tonneau made tomorrow.

Then its bit of tickling , fettling , tweaking etc....and Barry can collect !!

Pics to follow......when camera sorted !
Old 2nd July 2012, 22:14

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Good luck getting the tonneau made. I understand it takes about five months...
Old 2nd July 2012, 23:40

seanick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Towed View Post
Good luck getting the tonneau made. I understand it takes about five months...
Oooh, a bit harsh!
Old 3rd July 2012, 07:50

I guess I could have worded it a bit better. It was meant to be a criticism of the trimmer who let us down, not Gary and Mike.
Old 4th July 2012, 03:02

frankenstang57 is on a distinguished road

Just curious about the engine position. Why can't you guys scoot it back 6"-8" and drop it down a bit. I know this would require a bit if fab work. I live in the States and was wondering if it was a local thing for registration. My buddy and I are looking to import a couple of kits. I'm pondering on using a TR6 motor in mine. Just a noob question from a long ways away!
Old 4th July 2012, 10:19

MoriniMan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenstang57 View Post
Just curious about the engine position. Why can't you guys scoot it back 6"-8" and drop it down a bit. I know this would require a bit if fab work. I live in the States and was wondering if it was a local thing for registration. My buddy and I are looking to import a couple of kits. I'm pondering on using a TR6 motor in mine. Just a noob question from a long ways away!
Moving the engine mountings back is easy, just swap the suspension towers side to side. It was a standard trick on many kitcars. You need to modify the chassis to clear the gearbox though.

The UK has traditionally had pretty free rules on home built vehicles and it still does in many ways, but things have got more complicated and/or expensive in recent years. Using an unmodified chassis get around those new rules, but means you can't cut into it anywhere for clearance. You can't even remove the rear floot support legs, so they have to stick out the back of the shell (or at least they do until the re-bodying excercise has been inspected by the DVLA).
Old 4th July 2012, 10:44

garyh is on a distinguished road

Suspension towers side to side. Is this on a Vitesse?
Old 4th July 2012, 10:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyh View Post
Suspension towers side to side. Is this on a Vitesse?
Vitesse, Herald, Spitfire, GT6, they all use the same tower.

The mounting is normally on the front of the tower, when you swap them it's on the back.
Old 4th July 2012, 17:44

Alpha is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The TR6 block will fit the Vitesse chassis without any trouble, it's basically the same engine ! Mind you, the standard diff and driveshafts might have some trouble with the 180hp a nicely tuned fuel injected 2,5 block can produce...

Baz from Brussels
Old 5th July 2012, 00:13

Thanks guys. I thought it was something like that. I'll just title it as a Herald. A few years ago I took my Herald to have a VIN verification done on it. The woman doing the inspection walked up and said, "Triumph, who makes that?" If it all pans out, plan on hearing more from this end.
Old 5th July 2012, 08:19

Quote:
Thanks guys. I thought it was something like that. I'll just title it as a Herald. A few years ago I took my Herald to have a VIN verification done on it. The woman doing the inspection walked up and said, "Triumph, who makes that?" If it all pans out, plan on hearing more from this end.
Hi Fanenstang57, when I read your first post I thought you might be just tiucking with us. With you living in the 'States it didn't seem likely you were serious about Sammios. A big sorry from me though, if you've got a Herald over there then that's the first hurdle crossed and you're obviously asking from a serious standpoint. I know Gary's exported a couple of bodies to the 'States before so good luck getting yours.

In relation to your first question about moving the motor back and lowering it, it's clearly possible but I've got to ask why? I understand the dynamics of lowering the centre of gravity and keeping the weight within the wheelbase to maximise the handling characteristics, so I'm guessing that you're looking to build it up as a track-day car (U.S. translation, weekend racer?)

But if you want a stylish and fun road car it's really not necessary to have it handle like a racer or scorch the tarmac with its tyres when you dump the clutch. In 'standard' form (whatever that is), what the Sammio gives you is the feeling of driving something from another era on a hundredth of the budget of a real fifties racing car. By all means fit an old straight six - for the glorious sound alone, but let the V8 trucks blast past you on the freeway, hold the bikers up in the bends, you won't care as you'll be wearing the biggest smile ever and they'll be jealous as fck.

Last edited by Mister Towed; 5th July 2012 at 08:32..
Old 5th July 2012, 19:23

Mr Towed, I was thinking of clearance. Not having to cut a hole in the hood (bonnet) for the carbs to clear. That would be my main reason for setting the motor back. I figured you guys had some reason or another for not chopping up the firewall. I currently have 3-1/2 Heralds as of right now. There really not too hard to find over here. I've been wanting to build a Sammio for a couple of years now. I've swapped emails with Gary in the past. My buddy Bruce wants one as well. So we are thinking about bringing in 2 kits. I was going to install a Tr6 motor/trans in mine, he is going to run an MGB motor of some sort in his. You'll probably be hearing from me a bit more in the future.
Old 5th July 2012, 20:03

The engine mounts on the four cylinder are on the engine front plate, whilst the ones on the six are part way down the side of the block.

Swapping the towers moves the front of a six back to pretty much the same place as the four.

Cutting the bulkhead is fine (on a vehicle with a separate chassis) for registration purposes and Gary isn't using the original bulkhead on the Cordite.
Old 5th July 2012, 21:17

Psycho pops is on a distinguished road

Didn't the guy who imported the kit to the US put it up for sale as it wouldn't fit as he intended on an mx5 , something like that? May be worth looking back on his thread
Pops
Old 5th July 2012, 23:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho pops View Post
Didn't the guy who imported the kit to the US put it up for sale as it wouldn't fit as he intended on an mx5 , something like that? May be worth looking back on his thread
Pops
Nah, we're looking for two kits. He (the guy in New York) was intent on manufacturing/selling the Cordite kit for Spitfires. I think that's what he imported. Putting Miata running gear in under one of these is kinda defeating the reason to build/drive something like this in the first place, IMHO. Might as well just build a FF5 Cobra. I just want a basic Herald kit. Good info here. BTW, we're going to go RHD!
Old 6th July 2012, 07:12

Quote:
Putting Miata running gear in under one of these is kinda defeating the reason to build/drive something like this in the first place, IMHO. Might as well just build a FF5 Cobra. I just want a basic Herald kit. Good info here. BTW, we're going to go RHD!
I TOTALLY AGREE !

The MX5 is a fantastic little car but the Sammio was always intended to be a recreation of the 50's style cars ....retaining its classic status.

I can still help you guys with the RHD steering racks if you need them ...
Old 6th July 2012, 07:55

Quote:
Nah, we're looking for two kits. He (the guy in New York) was intent on manufacturing/selling the Cordite kit for Spitfires. I think that's what he imported. Putting Miata running gear in under one of these is kinda defeating the reason to build/drive something like this in the first place, IMHO. Might as well just build a FF5 Cobra. I just want a basic Herald kit. Good info here. BTW, we're going to go RHD!

That's the spirit! I wouldn't worry too much about having to cut holes in the bonnet (hood) to clearance bits 'n' bobs, the Spyder looks just fine with any number of bulges, blisters and scoops added - just take a look at all the afterthought add-ons that the original Lancia D24's had.

Old 6th July 2012, 17:17

THATS A FANTASTIC PICTURE , TOWED ....Looks very pretty ....I love the ''constant development'' look of the car as it changed annually....I would love to know what the asymmetric wing scoop is for.....