Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 15th February 2013, 21:06

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Cordite Specific Wiring Diagrams:
Here is my second wiring diagram built using PowerPoint covering the wires needed to start the engine…

Which corresponds with the minimum number of connections I needed to make in practise, as seen here…

The coil mounting bracket is earthed separately as it is now attached to fibre glass & not metal as intended.
I've done the same thing to the Starter Solenoid, although not 100% sure it needs it, but it wont hurt to do it.

I intend to make just one more diagram covering everything else not shown above, or in my lighting diagram.
This will cover things like the fuel & temp. gauges, overdrive switch, car horns x2, etc.
I've actually found this a very useful exercise in expanding my understanding of how the car is wired up.

Doors - The gift that keeps on giving...
I'm hoping Mikmiglia will post some photos of how the doors on his Speedster are set up / work.
As I'm sure that will be a big help in understanding how all the parts are meant to fit together.

I have resigned myself to a significant amount of work to make the best use of the original Cordite set up.
I think I will have to separate the inner door section from the outer skin and re-build everything from there.

I do not intend to change the initial curve from the outside of the body shell leading into the door cut section.
And it should be possible to make the outer door skin fit into this "hole" aiming for a 5mm gap all around.
Although, as previously mentioned, the door cut will need alterations so I can give the body a "shove" forward.

So I had another play on Power Point to see how some of the ideas in my head might work in practise.
Note: The sketches are not meant to be to scale & I've removed all the real curves as they are too hard to do!

I want to go from my current set up of inner door section bearing no resemblance to the door cut out in some places…

To a situation where the inner door section evenly matches the door cut out all round (with curves in real life)…

Similarly, I want the top of my doors to smoothly blend in with the rest of the body work. This is now…

And the inspiration for what a "blended in" door top could look like has been provided by Mikmiglia

So far, so good, but this work would effectively create a "lip" around three sides of the door "inner".
In which case, I'd expect to have a small "step" in the shape of the door cut for this "lip" to seal against.

Not sure what type of door seal to use, or how to attach it at this stage, but I am open to suggestions.
What do other builders intend to use as a seal on their bulk head for the bonnet to close against?

Anyway, I'll worry about the detail another day, this was my initial thoughts on sealing up the doors…

The current inner door section set up is significantly narrower than the width of the door cut out in the body.
It appeared that a "baton" had been used on a previous Sammio build for the door to close against…
( Note: That is what the long red line in the sketch above represents. )

But looking at this photo again, is the baton needed because there is no "step" built into the door cut out?
If there was a "step" on all three sides of the cut out, then the door would simply seal against that.
I included a baton (with seal in red) in this sketch, but have now decided that I don't actually need this….

Don't get me wrong, building this "step" & matching the rest of door cut out to it is a major piece of work.
The only good news is that, as shown above, the first part of the step is the original shape of the car.

So if I can match both outer door skins to their respective cut outs*, they should look OK from the outside.
* The doors will stay as different sizes, there is already too much work needed without fixing this problem too!
Note: Matching doors will be available in the new Ribble kits, as my Cordite door design has been dropped.

Crikey, I'm worn out just describing all the work that lies ahead, and I haven't even started it yet!

Seat Belt Options - More Thoughts:
KISS principles do keep drawing me back to consider a traditional "static" 3 point seat belt arrangement.
I think these would be easier to mount than building somewhere to mount a the retractor belt arrangement.

Mind you, if I am prepared to accept the restrictions of those, I might as well have the "looks" of a harness.
Saw these military harnesses on Ebay & they look the part, just not sure if they would be UK road legal?

Decisions, decisions, is it any wonder this build is going to take me forever and a day to complete!

Next steps:
If the weekend weather holds, I hope to start work on my pedal mountings & get more welding practise in.

Until next time, take care, Paul.

Last edited by Paul L; 7th September 2019 at 09:30..
Old 16th February 2013, 08:44

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

I like the attention to detail you're showing here Paul. It might seem like it's taking forever to build (so's mine), but I find it extremely satisfying to chop and change things until they're just the way I want them.

These cars can be a quick and cheap way to put something different on the road, but for me it's more about freshening up my engineering skills, learning some new ones and excercising my imagination.

A few hours every four or five days is all the time I've been able to put into this project, and it's really starting to come together now. Stick at it and, before you know it, you'll have your car exactly the way you want it.

I'm so glad I didn't go for doors, though...
Old 16th February 2013, 09:58

Front Indicator Mounting Moulds - Continued:
Previously, I'd struggled to shape the back of my insulation foam block to match the contours of the bonnet…

After a bit of beard scratching, it occurred to me that one solution might actually be 'child's play'.
So in my best 'Blue Peter' tradition, out came some plasticine and a pump action toothpaste top.

The toothpaste top formed a slightly oversized hole equivalent to where the indicator's rubber seal goes.
This "hole" would also mark the centre of the indicator to allow me to position the mound in the right place.

A ring of black plasticine represents the outside diameter of the seal & therefore the size of the mount's face.
The green plasticine underneath was part of my failed first attempt to do this in two stages.

Eventually I did get a large chunk of plasticine roughly moulded into a position that worked...

And this is the shape of the mould required, about an inch at the deepest point at the bottom...

At this point I was again reminded of sticking to a KISS approach & checked up on Mr T's build.
I remembered he had made moulds for his rear lights using filler & I might just do that.

If anyone can tell me why this approach wouldn't work on the front, I re-create this pink shape in foam.

I just need to warm up a bit indoors, as although it isn't snowing, it is still quite cold.
Then I have to do some family stuff, before I can to get a few more car jobs done later on.

Cheers, Paul.

Replies:
Mister Towed - Thanks again for all your support, as you can see above, your build is a big help.
The "keep chipping away at it" approach is all I can do, so I will keep doing the best I can.
The worst thing about the doors is knowing that only a few kits will be this hard to sort out.
All the new kit offerings from both Andy & Mike will have better door solutions.

Last edited by Paul L; 7th September 2019 at 09:30..
Old 16th February 2013, 12:19

Everything I've ever heard/read about kit car doors suggests even 'good' ones are a pig to fit. Good luck!
Old 16th February 2013, 16:11

More Welding Practise:
Based on the good advice I've been given on here & my new welding book, today was just "playing".
I tried different power settings, wire feed speeds, welding angles, speed of moving the welder, etc.
It was interesting to see the different welds produced & they ranged from half decent to very poor.

My test piece now looks like it has seen a bit of action...

Another tip in my Farm Welding book was to have consideration of "livestock" & their exposure to arc light.
I'm in my back garden & whilst I now have an auto darkening helmet, I weld in clear view of my neighbours!
So until I get a beach wind break set up, I propped up a large section of hardboard to shield my work area.

Clearly plenty more practise needed and I am still looking at Ebay for arc welders.
As even on the same settings, changes in wind are definitely making a difference in weld quality.

Hopefully some more car jobs tomorrow, cheers, Paul.

Replies:
Mister Towed - I know, which is why I wanted my first* Cordite to have no doors.
Initially they were going to be optional, but in the end they were compulsory.

* Back in the days when I actually thought I'd build my ideal spec after learning on the first one.
Old 16th February 2013, 18:43

Viatron is on a distinguished road

If you don't mind a comment on your welding....? Are you sure your not holding the mig torn too far from the work piece?
A good test is to weld two pieces of scrap together then cut it in half at 90deg to the weld and have a look at the penetration (fnar fnar) of the weld, it still looks like the weld bead is sitting on top of the metal rather than penetrating (fnar fnar)

Good to see someone else is out there giving it a go, got my gearbox and rear suspension painted up today and the chassis is back from the galvanisers Monday.
Mac
Old 17th February 2013, 01:17

Nike55 is on a distinguished road

Great to see people progressing with their builds and persevering with new techniques and skills..

It gives the rest of us hope.
Old 17th February 2013, 16:04

Viatron - Feel free to comment Mac, as I'm grateful for all tips & suggestions.
I am definitely having trouble with penetration as the book shows it & I'm not getting it.
See below for more details & I'm looking forward to seeing your build take shape.

Nike55 - Thanks, my theory is if I can build one of these cars, anyone can.
I know I like to see lots of detail and photos on other people's builds, so that's what I do here.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Update:
My wife was under the weather this morning, so all bets were off as far as car work was concerned.
I did get one small chance to play, so stuck with my welding practise as I do need it.
( I will hopefully get a chance to start on my pedal mounting modifications next week. )

If I understand it correctly, there should be evidence of the weld on the other side of the metal.
I did play with the distance I held the torch from the metal so see what difference that made too.
( I'm sure my best welds yesterday came from working close to two edges I'd trimmed into a "V". )

This first series of welds either gave me penetration closely followed by burning straight through.
( I'm sure the speed I move the torch has a lot to do with this as I can't judge the pace yet. )

Top Side:

Flip Side:

When I tried this again on another piece, I only had the faintest traces of penetration in places.

Again this is the flip side...

I did practise on some more sections of box section, but it turned out a complete mess.
Despite my new welding helmet & having two hands to guide the welder I'm still all over the place.
Missing the joint completely is seriously driving me mad!

Still, as Nike55 said above I am learning a new skill, this will take time & I should not lose heart.

Until next time, take care, Paul.
Old 17th February 2013, 17:32

Paul,
Couple of ideas, check your earth clamp is clamping well, I leave just had a quick look and there are a few not so bad mig tutorials on YouTube that may be worth a look at? Books are fine but as you have discovered its difficult to learn technique from a book, at least with a video you are watching someone do it.
Getting a bit pumped about my build again now after the false start, aim is to have the finished rolling chassis at rubble in about 2 weeks as they are going to use it for development of the new frame design.
Old 17th February 2013, 22:56

seanick is on a distinguished road

Hi Paul, with your light plinths, a visit to the supermarket with a tape measure may yield a lid from a jar of the right size that can be used as a plug for a mould. There are so many shapes within everyday items that can be utilised for moulding grp. They are perfectly shaped, just need to be trimmed to the right angle! Just a thought. N
Old 18th February 2013, 07:45

garyh is on a distinguished road

Could you not just cut a circular hole in the place you want it and pass a tube through it?
Old 18th February 2013, 08:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyh View Post
Could you not just cut a circular hole in the place you want it and pass a tube through it?
Sounds like a job for a cut down Pringles tube...

- one of Mikmiglia's many useful tips.
Old 18th February 2013, 09:54

Round lights just sound a bit too easy to me. Oval rear lights is the way forwards. Erm, backwards?
Old 18th February 2013, 19:55

Viatron - I did notice the wire to the welder's earth clip was a bit frayed, so I'll fix that before I try again.
I'll look at YouTube when I fix the technical problems preventing me from watching videos on my computer.

Its great news that your frame is effectively being custom fit at source, that should remove lot of problems.

SeaNick - I might still go down the mould route just to get some practise working with fibre glass.
Although if I start seeing any more useful car shapes in everyday objects I might end up acting like this…

At which point my wife will either take the kids & run, or throw me out of the house!

GaryH - If I just drilled a hole, the indicator would point down like this...

Nike 55 - I did make a note of the the Pringle tube tip.

Mister Towed - Oval rear like are like flares...
I'm sure they will come back into fashion one of these days!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Doors - Hinge Support:
I saw this photo posted "Next Door" on the A352 thread showing the Tribute approach to door hinges…

Whilst I have no hope of constructing something similar, I have had a re-think on supporting my own hinges.
Initially, I was planning to fibre glass some metal plates behind the door & body shell for added strength.

I now plan to extend this basic idea into a single sheet of metal connecting both the top & bottom hinges.
As usual, no "scale" was harmed during the making of this sketch.

I want a "thinner" middle section in the sheet metal to give a bigger surface area either side of it.
I hope that will ensure the fibre glass I add over the top to "stick" it to the outer door skin will do its job.

Well I think that is about as much effort as I can put into the theory behind fitting my doors.
So hopefully in the next few weeks I will take a deep breath and actually start work on fitting them!

Cheers, Paul.
Old 18th February 2013, 20:52

Paul,
This might help as well

http://www.r-techwelding.co.uk/Downl...ding_Guide.pdf
Old 19th February 2013, 07:42

garyh is on a distinguished road

You can angle tube how you want it... Keep it simple.
Old 19th February 2013, 07:54

Oval lights like Lionels?

Well, they were good enough for the Mille Miglia winning original -

Old 19th February 2013, 09:22

ooh that's a pretty rear end.
Old 19th February 2013, 14:20

Yes, it's your actual Lancia D24.
Old 19th February 2013, 20:49

davecymru is on a distinguished road

Hummmmm side exit exhausts are really pretty! I'd just be paranoid about setting the bodywork on fire