Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Dino 246 Builds and Discussion

Dino 246 Builds and Discussion Da da da da daaa daa da da, ohoho Dino

Old 15th October 2016, 12:44

thecarbuilder246 is on a distinguished road
Default handles

Hi All

Does anyone on here have some or access to dino 246 internal door openers/handles. Looking to get some plasma cut but need the sizes and if
possible to draw around them for me to get a pattern.

thanks Ian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (108.1 KB, 49 views)
Available from eBay
Old 16th October 2016, 09:59

NeilF355 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecarbuilder246 View Post

Does anyone on here have some or access to dino 246 internal door openers/handles. Looking to get some plasma cut but need the sizes and if
possible to draw around them for me to get a pattern.
Hi Ian
I'd love a set of those for my Dino.
The same original handles were also used in the Daytona so you could expand your request to cover those cars as well.

I have seen one replica SR Daytona with the original handles.

Interestingly it just happens that eurospares have a second hand passenger door one in stock at the moment from a 365 GTC4 for £51

Regards
Neil
Old 16th October 2016, 10:46

Default handle

Hi

It does look similar but it's not quite the same. The dino ones are quite a bit dearer too.
I'm looking into plasma cutting the handles and maybe getting the embellishers cast in ally.
The handles will be cut from 6mm steel plate and will require some hand finishing/shaping
and also the working bits brazed on.
The embellishers can either be polished up or chromed along the the handle.
Euro spares have them but upwards of £750!!
ian

Last edited by thecarbuilder246; 16th October 2016 at 11:07.. Reason: missed a bit off
Old 17th October 2016, 20:53

Quote:
Hi

It does look similar but it's not quite the same. The dino ones are quite a bit dearer too.
Must admit the only difference I can see is in the position of the mounting bolt and the door pull holes.

This one also appears to have both sets of holes drilled for fitting to either the Dino or the 365.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ferrari-24...-/161327287033

Neil
Old 19th October 2016, 15:42

Default handle

hi

I've ordered a pair and the embellishers to £300 the lot posted!!
I had enquired into having them plasma cut in either 6 or 10mm steel and then hand finishing/machining to size and shape. Quoted £30 in 6mm/£35 in 10mm a pair inc postage. The embellishers would need a pattern making and I was planning on having them cast at my local foundry in phosphor bronze(easier to chrome plate) He'd quoted around £30/40 each. These would need hand finishing also and then the whole lot chromed.Best guesstimate for chrome plating £100 ish??? Total £200 ish plus all the hand finishing. I think £300 is about what they would have come out to.

ian

Last edited by thecarbuilder246; 19th October 2016 at 15:43.. Reason: misspelt
Old 21st October 2016, 09:20

Quote:
hi
I've ordered a pair and the embellishers to £300 the lot posted!!
ian
That's a good price.
I presume they are from Eurospares.
Do you mind me asking which ones you went for?
They have different part numbers for the handles and, of course, different prices depending on the model:
Ferrari Dino 206GT..... 20-42-23 (superceeded by 20261400)
Ferrari Dino 246GT.......0200377
Ferrari Daytona 365GTB4......30016307
Ferrari 365GTC4...........253-30-810-02(Right hand)
Ferrari 512BB.......20261400

Similarly for the embellishers:
Ferrari Dino 206GT.......on the parts diagram but not listed!!!!
Ferrari Dino 246GT........20037602
Ferrari Daytona 365GTB4....20037602
Ferrari 365GTC4.......253-30-830-06
Ferrari 512BB.......Not fitted (?)

Cheers Neil
Old 21st October 2016, 20:02

Default handles

hi

Yes from eurospares. I went for the 365 ones as there were the cheapest!! £51 handles £75 embellishers but vat and carriage to add total £312.
I looked at the item you listed (ebay usa) and according to him they were all the same handle, but just varied in the hole position. As This didn't matter to me the cheapest were fine.One is near mint and looks brand new, it even has the plastic screw inserts-the other is tarnished and wants rechroming. I may get it chromed or possibly return this one and buy a new one (another 55 quid!!).They have also come supplied with the back mounting bracket that mounts them to the door and also has the screw holes to mount the embellishers to the bracket.
The only problem is the embellishers. They have come painted in a tough black crackle finish!! They seem to be stamped from aluminium so I'll talk with them on monday, but this may explain why these were 75 quid as opposed to the dino ones at 175 quid!!
ian
Old 21st October 2016, 20:15

Default handles

hi

I forgot to say that although the handles are the same both sides the brackets are handed-LH/RH.I didn't know this but they sent me a pair. They have different part numbers. The embellishers are identical both sides.. I've included a couple of photo's. Unfortunately I have not unwrapped the embellishers in case I have to return them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (88.2 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (90.5 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (86.7 KB, 28 views)
Old 22nd October 2016, 11:06

Hi Ian
Quote:
I went for the 365 ones as there were the cheapest!! £51 handles £75 embellishers but vat and carriage to add total £312.
I looked at the item you listed (ebay usa) and according to him they were all the same handle, but just varied in the hole position. As This didn't matter to me the cheapest were fine.One is near mint and looks brand new, it even has the plastic screw inserts-the other is tarnished and wants rechroming. I may get it chromed or possibly return this one and buy a new one (another 55 quid!!).
Eurospares list a handle for the Ferrari 512BB at £62 (20261400), I don't know if it's the same, it's supposed to have superseded the 206GT Dino one. The 512BB does not appear to have the embellishers and I cant see the handle on any interior pictures so it must be concealed.
I suspect that at the price it will not have the bracket.

Quote:
The only problem is the embellishers. They have come painted in a tough black crackle finish!! They seem to be stamped from aluminium so I'll talk with them on monday, but this may explain why these were 75 quid as opposed to the dino ones at 175 quid!!
ian
That's a shame, I was leaning towards a tan interior in my car and black embellishers would not be suitable.

Quote:
hi

I forgot to say that although the handles are the same both sides the brackets are handed-LH/RH.I didn't know this but they sent me a pair. They have different part numbers.
I would make my own brackets so I'm only interested in the handles and the embellishers.

I'd be interested to know how you get on with Eurospares when you talk to them on monday.
Good Luck
Neil
Old 27th October 2016, 14:54

Default handles

Hi

I haven't really had time to call eurospares but I did drop in on my chrome plating guy. The handles supplied are basically in very good condition only really needing a strip back of the old chrome/polishing and re chroming. He's quoted approx £40 so I will hang on to these and get them done when I get all the chroming for the car done.
The embellishers I think I'll keep also has I intend to have a light biscuit finish interior and I think black will make the chrome handles stick out. If it looks terrible I could always strip them and mirror polish them.
Ian
Old 28th October 2016, 10:00

Hi Ian
Glad you've got the handles sorted.
I'm not a fan of polished aluminium, it seems to tarnish a bit too quickly to my mind, I much prefer mirror polished stainless. The only aluminium I've used is on the engine turned dash of my 250 GTO and I sprayed a couple of coats of clear lacquer onto it to protect the surface.
I could always spray the black embellishers with a tan colour to match the interior...I'll have a think, raid my piggy bank and perhaps an early Xmas present is on the cards
Neil

Last edited by NeilF355; 29th October 2016 at 09:24..
Old 28th October 2016, 10:14

Default handles

Hi Neil

I know what you mean regarding the alley tarnishing. Did you know that you can chrome aluminium now? I didn't! It tends to be expensive as the parts need to be coated or anodised (can't remember now what he told me!!) in something else first, then the chrome is applied on to the coating on the aluminium.
Just a thought.
ian
Old 29th October 2016, 09:54

Quote:

Did you know that you can chrome aluminium now? I didn't! It tends to be expensive as the parts need to be coated or anodised.
Hi Ian
I have seen some chromed alloy and, to be honest, it was not as good as chrome on steel in my opinion. As you say the part needs to be zincated (x2 for a better finish) before starting on the normal chroming process so I expect it to be considerably more expensive and not every chromer has the facilities.

You have got me thinking about alternatives however, the cheapest of which would be a mirror chrome wrap.

I might splash out on a 99p sample piece on ebay to see if it will stretch enough into the embellisher without creasing
Neil
Old 29th October 2016, 10:35

Default handles

Hi Neil

Some new info for you. I had a spare couple of hours yesterday and started to look at fitting the handles to my door card. After looking at endless dino door photo's and scaling them for size I've marked position and cut the handle into the door card. But I needed an embellisher for correct position as well, so I had to open one up.I really didn't want to open them in case I decided to send them back.But I don't think they are made from aluminium-they are far to heavy. Maybe steel or something else but they appear to be pressed. I may give it a go and soak this one in thinners to see if the paint comes off!!

ian
Old 31st October 2016, 22:41

nostraloom is on a distinguished road
Default Improvised door handles

Hi there! I am building a Classic Replicas Dino in Athol Massachusetts, USA. I have made my door handles and embellishers from stainless kitchen spoons. They aren't perfect, but I have to draw the line somewhere, as I can't afford to buy everything that I want to. Here is a picture of just the embellisher. I will try to post a picture with the handle and embellisher attached on the car at a later time. All told, I came up with this for about $15.00 each. / Jon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SANY0569.JPG (86.1 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg SANY0541.jpg (39.8 KB, 36 views)
Old 1st November 2016, 00:37

molleur is on a distinguished road

Very creative, I like it!
Old 1st November 2016, 09:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostraloom View Post
Hi there! I am building a Classic Replicas Dino in Athol Massachusetts, USA. I have made my door handles and embellishers from stainless kitchen spoons.
I'm having one of those "why couldn't I have thought of that!" moments

It's interesting to hear of a Classic Replicas Dino build in the USA. Looks like you are further on in your build than I am Jon.

Cheers Neil
Old 1st November 2016, 15:29

Default handles

Hi

I had one of those moments too! Even brought a easter egg mould from flea bay ( £6.50) with the idea of cutting it up!

ian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 021.jpg (91.5 KB, 14 views)
Old 11th November 2016, 00:59

Default Handles made from spoons

Hi there! Here are a few pictures of the handles in progress. I bent the spoon stem back around on itself and welded it, so I could drill a pivot for the handle. SANY0580.JPG

SANY0576.JPG

SANY0574.JPG
Old 11th November 2016, 01:04

Default Handle pivot

This is the welded spoon handle.SANY0586.jpg