Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 25th February 2009, 16:20
Enthusiast

GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road
Default Tail Lights

Probably getting ahead of myself here, but I'm starting to think about lighting. The rear lights to be specific, as I've been googling and found these:

http://www.justaircooled.co.uk/rear-...tle-62-67.html

I quite like the idea of having the rear lights 'upright' rather than flush with the wing like on this XK140

Or a moggy:

Or on a cabrio, as shown on Simons here:

The sportster wings don't have the 'bulge' but obviously the bug light cluster ones could pass as add ons... and they're not to expensive

The problem is it wouldn't pass BIVA as they probably aren't E marked.

Any ideas how to achieve the look?
Available from eBay
Old 25th February 2009, 17:12
Enthusiast

cabrioman is on a distinguished road
Default Rear Light Solution

You could always make some like the ones on my Cabrio. Super cheap to make, standard emarked lights fitted into pods made from Asda tooth brush holders!

You could angle the pods to make them fit onto the sportster wings.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/johns_m...rio/538575966/
Old 25th February 2009, 21:45
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatOldOne View Post
Probably getting ahead of myself here, but I'm starting to think about lighting. The rear lights to be specific, as I've been googling and found these:

Or on a cabrio, as shown on Simons here:

The sportster wings don't have the 'bulge' but obviously the bug light cluster ones could pass as add ons... and they're not to expensive

The problem is it wouldn't pass BIVA as they probably aren't E marked.

Any ideas how to achieve the look?
GOO
When I spoke to Stafford they reckon lights do not have to be E marked to be approved- you just have to show 'or similar'. Stafford actually claim many of their non E mark lights will be accepted by examiners, and guarantee to give you your money back if they cannot get the examiner to accept them.
May be you can spread your enquiries wider than you may believe?

Has anyone had lights fail due to the examiner claiming they do not meet with approval?
Mike
Old 26th February 2009, 07:39
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

I am sticking with E marked lights. It would be a pain to fail the SVA (BIVA) just for that. Especially if they implement the rumored 80% x £540 re-test fee!

If you want something special then use cheapo E marked lights for the test and then swap them after. All IMHO of course...

Robin
Old 26th February 2009, 08:17
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
GOO
When I spoke to Stafford they reckon lights do not have to be E marked to be approved- you just have to show 'or similar'. Stafford actually claim many of their non E mark lights will be accepted by examiners, and guarantee to give you your money back if they cannot get the examiner to accept them.
That's interesting... I assume that Stafford would provide you with a data-sheet proving the 'or similar' of the unit... Hmmm.

I feel a phone call coming on. If I can stay awake that is. The caffine really isn't working this morning.
Old 26th February 2009, 08:20
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinClan View Post
If you want something special then use cheapo E marked lights for the test and then swap them after.
Good point, I just don't want to end up cutting holes in the wings that I can't repair or modify for the replacements later on. If I go that route, I'll have to be careful.

Of course, I haven't even got any wings yet!
Old 26th February 2009, 09:01
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinClan View Post
I am sticking with E marked lights. It would be a pain to fail the SVA (BIVA) just for that. Especially if they implement the rumored 80% x £540 re-test fee!

If you want something special then use cheapo E marked lights for the test and then swap them after. All IMHO of course...

Robin
Yup, that's what I did! (and the same for the reflectors, i used cheap stick on ones for the test) Ask Stafford if they would refund the cost of the BIVA test if you fail?
I agree the spec says that they have to be 'e' marked or equivalent but for a 'layman' to try and convince an inspector on the day with no test equipment could be very difficult.
Having the little 'e' marks just takes any doubt or debate away.

The trick to getting passed is to remove as much doubt in his mind as possible and make it easy for the guy to satisfy himself that you have met the requirements. I had little bits of rubber trim stuck all over the place so that wherever he looked he could see it was covered.
Even the ends of my bonnet hinge had little plastic protectors which seem to have fallen off now??
Old 26th February 2009, 16:58
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road

Even the ends of my bonnet hinge had little plastic protectors which seem to have fallen off now??
[/QUOTE]

Funny how only certain bits drop off so quicly.............
Old 26th February 2009, 20:32
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post

Funny how only certain bits drop off so quicly.............
Hmm that is odd

I do like that kind of tail light configuration. There was an orange Sportster at Stoneleigh that had Beatles rear lights:

Old 26th February 2009, 21:00
Enthusiast

Stuart is on a distinguished road

Just as a note on tail lights i have the marlin supplied hamburger rear lights and they are really difficult to see in daylight when you are following me. If i could change them without having to buy new rear wings and getting them sprayed i would.
Old 26th February 2009, 21:04
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
Just as a note on tail lights i have the marlin supplied hamburger rear lights and they are really difficult to see in daylight when you are following me. If i could change them without having to buy new rear wings and getting them sprayed i would.
I've been thinking about adding the 3rd brake light to mine, even though you can see the 4 LED quite well I think the additional light would be a good idea - something like this: http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/48-led-th...st6-3754-p.asp
Old 26th February 2009, 21:12
Enthusiast

Stuart is on a distinguished road
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
I've been thinking about adding the 3rd brake light to mine, even though you can see the 4 LED quite well I think the additional light would be a good idea - something like this: http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/48-led-th...st6-3754-p.asp
I have had a few nervous moments when i braked hard so i have allready mounted a 3rd brake light better safe than sorry
Old 26th February 2009, 21:17
Enthusiast

Quote:
I have had a few nervous moments when i braked hard so i have allready mounted a 3rd brake light better safe than sorry
Nice How did you mount it?
Old 26th February 2009, 21:45
Enthusiast

Quote:
The original hamburger lights were used on lorries and buses. If you take a short journey down you nearest trunk road or motorway just keep an eye on all the trucks and you see the old hamburgers, often mounted in sets of three lights each side. But you'll also see newer trucks with high visibility LED versions. These really do stand out and aren't subject to the narrow viewing angles of the old filament type.

they are still quite expensive but prices are starting to fall as volume builds up........
http://motors.shop.ebay.co.uk/items/...n&_osacat=9800

Need to find some that are the same diameter and be carefull because a lot are 24v versions.

I also have a high level third brake light in one of my boxes, waiting to be fitted. I saw one fitted to the roll bar on a Sportster at Stoneliegh. I'll see if I have a picture.......

Are here it is.........

Last edited by peterux; 26th February 2009 at 21:52.. Reason: added picture
Old 27th February 2009, 07:19
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
I didn't see that car when I was there, but they don't look out of place at all. DO you have any more pics of it Patrick?

I wonder if they where fitted pre or post SVA?
Old 27th February 2009, 07:26
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatOldOne View Post
I didn't see that car when I was there, but they don't look out of place at all. DO you have any more pics of it Patrick?

I wonder if they where fitted pre or post SVA?
It was 2006, I don't have any more from the back but the high res is on this page: http://www.msportster.co.uk/detail.asp?cat=12&offset=24

Hang on, there's another one from the back on this page: http://www.msportster.co.uk/detail.asp?cat=12&offset=36
Old 27th February 2009, 07:53
Enthusiast

Thanks.

Just wonder if the angle looks right now. In the hi res pic you can see that the top of the chrome body of the cluster isn't parallel with the ground - it's angled up slightly.

I assume this is because of the slope of the rear wing and the angle of the rear cluster.

Not sure if this would looks 'weird' - I wonder if the rear of the cluster could be recut to match the shallower anfle of the sportster rear wing.
Old 27th February 2009, 08:50
Enthusiast

here is the same car in 2004......

The picture is on my Flickr site if you want to zoom in a bit.........

I think this car belongs to a guy called Mike Coombes, but I may be wrong?
Old 27th February 2009, 09:11
Enthusiast

I'll ask on the MOC forum. I'd like to see it from the side, and ask if he had them on for SVA.
Old 27th February 2009, 20:19
Enthusiast

RobDorey is on a distinguished road

Just ear'oleing.
Be careful if you are considering using Beetle 'Tomestone' lights unless, that is, you can get you hands on some original VW units.
I bought a pair from Speed 7 who supply VW spares and the quality was completely rubbish.
The lens were made from Polycrackathene, the bulb contacts 'didn't' and broke after five minutes and the light base was no thicker that a can of beans.
If you can get genuine VW light units that would be great and would look nice.