Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 8th May 2016, 18:40

swifty is on a distinguished road

Ooops sorry Paul, i forgot to take photos yesterday so today i especially went out with the missus for a 100 mile round trip stopping off for refreshments on a couple of occasions and took a few photos.

IMG_6659.jpg

Red cars just seem to be attracted to each other.

IMG_6671.jpg IMG_6663.jpg

Stopped off for a cream tea at a local castle where the car look at home.

IMG_6665.jpg

Heading back home i was giving it some on a rather bumpy road when the front valance at one point grounded out when the front suspension loaded up. At the time it sounded worse than it actually is, only the very tip of the valance edge has been scuffed so will leave as is for now and see how it goes then may be alter the valance shape in the future.
Maybe that's why the original D24's had the valance cut away, umm food for thought but i did think i had the height correct as it goes over those dreaded man made speed humps no problem at all, at a low speed of course.

IMG_6674.jpg

Something else that requires further attention are the brakes, they feel wooden and you have to stand on the pedal to stop the car quickly, they just feel like they are lacking any bite. I was going to fit different pads Mintex 1144 but i think it maybe a combination of the original calipers and discs, new discs have been fitted and the calipers stripped with new seals along with a new master cylinder but the system is lacking performance.

Well that's it for today and these will be the last photos of the car without decals as tomorrow it goes in to be sticker-ed up, if there's such a word.

See you all soon.

Last edited by swifty; 8th May 2016 at 19:14..
Old 8th May 2016, 19:14

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

GREAT PICS SWIFTMEISTER ....The car looks superb out and about ...enjoy !
Old 8th May 2016, 19:57

ThatAmericanChap is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty View Post

Heading back home i was giving it some on a rather bumpy road when the front valance at one point grounded out when the front suspension loaded up. At the time it sounded worse than it actually is, only the very tip of the valance edge has been scuffed so will leave as is for now and see how it goes then may be alter the valance shape in the future.
Maybe that's why the original D24's had the valance cut away, umm food for thought but i did think i had the height correct as it goes over those dreaded man made speed humps no problem at all, at a low speed of course.

First off, you've achieved a genuinely stunning build - bravo. I might have missed this in the thread, but thought I'd bring it up in any event: the D24, in addition to its double wishbones and transverse leaf springs, utilised hydraulic dampers (as you doubtless are already aware). If you're using motion dampers (specifically) for vertical rebound, are yours adjustable or static? If you can adjust the hydraulic accumulator pressure (and don't mind the reduction in softer ride), effectively reducing the time required to damp the car's nosediving (especially on irregularly-surfaced roads whose undulations tend to increase the vertical motion in waves), it might be all that's needed to save the valance being thumped now and again. I expect there's no spare room between the tyres and the inner wheel arches, true?

Old 8th May 2016, 20:53

ThatAmericanChap is on a distinguished road

Swifty - never mind. I've just gone back and looked at the photos in your post #106 to see the front suspension setup, as well as noting your ¾ inch rear levelling blocks a bit earlier.

Old 9th May 2016, 17:56

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Swifty - The car does look great.
Old 10th May 2016, 21:01

After the 100 mile run on sunday i had a few things to sort out the first being to tighten the front wheel bearings slightly by one split pin hole through the hub castle nut.

Next was to alter the Spax settings as the original set up gave the car a feeling as if it was running on solid wheel's, the front had 28 clicks while the rear had 15 clicks change the rear to 6 clicks and the front 12 clicks, the change in handling and general comfort was exceptional, it has made the ride feel smooth while giving a more confident overall feel in the corners so pleased so far. My intentions are to run with the new settings for a couple of days then turn each up by 4 clicks and compare.

The final piece of the build was completed on Monday when the car was dropped off for the decals to be fitted.

IMG_6700.jpg IMG_6688.jpg

IMG_6696.jpg IMG_6701.jpg

Overall i am very pleased with the finish just need to put a badge below Pegasus near to the sill area. The guy who did the decals has used individual vinyl layers to make up the colours as he says this way last's longer than using printed designs which rub off after time with polish. It take's a little longer to make the decals this way and fit them as you have to be spot on with the alignment of the various layers but the end job is excellent.

Things left to do are
A - Sort the hot start problem.
B - Modify the air box to stop it rubbing on the underside of the bonnet.
C - Fit two ram air pipes to the carbs inside the air box.
D - Order and fit Mintex 1144 front pads.
Been talking to a couple of guys who have fitted ram air pipes to GT6 engines and they say a 3/4 inch high is the best it should give about 5-6% better air flow, they also say to leave the air box fitted piped in to take cool air to the carbs, i was thinking of fitting the ram air pipes directly to the carb intake's and removing the air box but doing this will remove the cool air element.

Well that's it for now see you all soon.

Last edited by swifty; 10th May 2016 at 21:08..
Old 10th May 2016, 21:31

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Swifty - Yours decals are very nicely understated.

Good luck with the last few odd jobs, Paul.
Old 10th May 2016, 21:32

molleur is on a distinguished road

Looks great!
Old 10th May 2016, 21:37
Big Cheese

JG has disabled reputation

Looks exceptional, you should be very proud.

Do you have any high res pictures that I could upload to the Sammio Gallery?

Cheers, John
Old 10th May 2016, 21:42

Can sort some out for you, how do you want them sent. do you use Wetransfer.com as big files can time out if sent via email.
Old 10th May 2016, 23:22
Big Cheese

JG has disabled reputation

Hi Swifty, no don't use that unfortunately. If you send some via e-mail in the first instance then that would be great, address is john@[thisdomain]

Many thanks, John
Old 11th May 2016, 06:45

phil9 is on a distinguished road

great car
Old 11th May 2016, 12:41

Scottie22 is on a distinguished road

Swifty, I have been absent for a while, and have only just seen your car!

It looks fabulous and you should be rightly very proud of your effort.

keep posting the pics of it.

It seems that all classic cars look at home with castles, churches etc.!!
Old 11th May 2016, 16:33

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

Swifty ..the car looks superb ...great colour choice , good decalage (?) , ride height works well etc etc..car has a great feel to it and its good to hear you are putting some miles on her ...they get very addictive !

Is 36 significant ? I painted 11 on my last one as the numbers were easy to do !!

I see Towed has a team mate now as well .....

Excellent effort mate ...well done ..
Old 11th May 2016, 19:45

ThatAmericanChap Ive adjusted the shocks so the ride is smoother but may be susceptible to bottoming out so will wait and see.

Paul L Cheers matey, you will have your car on the road soon which will put a grin from ear to ear as these cars are excellent fun.

molleur Cheers for the compliment, its taken two years to get the result i was after but its been well worth it.

JG Thanks, i will get round to emailing the high res photo's soon.

Phil9 Thanks for the compliment, coming from a guy who has built a few of these cars and knows their traits it greatly appreciated.

Scottie22 Cheers matey, i thought i hadn't seen you on here hope all's well.

lancelot link I agree with the addictive side of things these cars are great fun, the driving experience is raw and puts a smile on peoples faces.

The number 36 was Fangios number in a Lancia D24 in the 1953 2000 miles Carrera Panamericana which he won, cheers matey and i believe we have you to thank for the initial idea for these little cars.

Last edited by swifty; 11th May 2016 at 21:20..
Old 13th May 2016, 18:57

The air box i made has been catching the underside of the bonnet slightly so today Ive modified it.

IMG_6707.jpg IMG_6708.jpg

Cut the corner away that was high and made an infill to cover the hole, sealed the inside with pu40

IMG_6713.jpg

Job done and painted, one job off the list.

Next job was to re torque the head, had to remove the rocker shaft to get get access to one side of the head bolts, then refit the rocker shaft and adjust the tappets to 10th cold both inlet and exhaust.

IMG_6710.jpg IMG_6709.jpg

A few tappets were 13-15th, the plugs are a light brown colour so mixture ok.

Next job is to make a reducer to fit in the coolant pipe work to replace the temp fix i did many months ago.

The hot start problem is still ongoing and my latest thought is to fit an electric pump with a return pipe to see if keeping the fuel moving solves the problem, plus an electric pump is not attached to the engine so there's no heat transfer to the pump.

The none start only happens after the engine has been running and is hot, the glass fuel bowl on the filter king has no fuel showing, the manual pump lever has no resistance indicating no fuel in pump with an air lock. To start the engine the rubber fuel supply pipe to the carbs copper pipe is moved slightly after loosening the clip which allows vaporized fuel to escape (gas), after doing this the fuel pump lever has resistance when pumped indicating fuel at the pump diaphragm then the glass fuel bowl fills with fuel, the engine starts.
All this points to fuel vapor lock due to heat build up, the fuel pump is brand new but is the metal top type as you can't get the glass bowl top any more, ive been led to believe the glass bowl cooled the fuel more efficiently than the metal top plus you had a visual as to weather there was fuel at the pump.

Old 13th May 2016, 19:04

Picture of the spark plug for those that are not sure what the correct electrode colour is when the fuel mixture is ok, the last thread only let me add five pictures so had to add here.

IMG_6712.jpg
Old 15th May 2016, 08:45

Marc F is on a distinguished road

Is that you and your hot start over on Club Triumph?

Clean work on the air box. Always enjoy seeing your work
Old 16th May 2016, 09:48

davecymru is on a distinguished road

WOW! I've just been playing catchup on your thread and i must say i'm mightily impressed with how the car has turned out! Very nice!
Old 17th May 2016, 19:43

Mark F It could be me as i have posted on a number of forums.

davecymru Cheers.

Ordered the electric fuel pump, it's the su type with electronics rather than points the idea is to mount it next to the fuel tank where its cooler, should be fitted this weekend hopefully.

The Mintex brake pads arrived so need to fit and test, will report back if there's an improvement with the braking.

Still cant leave the car alone been thinking of what to change so decided on a couple of improvements, the first one is as follows.

IMG_6718.jpg

At the minute this gear stick is fitted which I've never been totally happy with so Ive decided to try and make a gate type shift, i think that's what it's called anyway, correct me if i am wrong.

IMG_6716.jpg

First off i worked out the dimensions of a new gear stick, made out of stainless and polished with a mop wheel. Its shorter than the existing ally one i made many months ago about 90mm long plus due to being made from stainless has allowed the shaft diameter to be 7mm where as the ally shaft is 12mm diameter.

IMG_6719.jpg

Next was to work out the dimensions of a box that will mount the gear selector plate to, made out of plastic for now to gauge the size. My intentions are to make the final box out of a billet of ally and leave the ally finish on display.

IMG_6720.jpg

Made a cardboard template for the gear selector plate to trial fit with slight adjustments to suit gear stick movement.

IMG_6721.jpg

Next the outline of the cardboard template was transferred onto a piece of the black plastic which i will machine out on the miller tomorrow to make sure it's correct before setting up to machine the final ally plate gear selector.

Last edited by swifty; 17th May 2016 at 20:35..