Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 9th April 2016, 13:17

Hippo is on a distinguished road
Default D Type

Hello, I'm a new member, joined about a month ago. I haven't really been lurking, it's taken me that long to read all the tribute threads!

The A532 is beautiful and some of the builds are fantastic but I rather fancy the D Type about which, apart from M. Patoune's thoroughly excellent and informative posts, there's not a lot written. Is this kit still available?

The links to useful info for Tribute builders for the D Type directs to the A352 thread from which, as far as I can tell, the A352 was derived from a D Type body shell which was narrowed by 4 inches and may, according to a post in December 2012, have lost 7 inches in length. So if I add those measurements back to the A352 dimensions, would that make the width between the lips of the arches for the D Type 66 inches front, 67 inches rear and wheel base 50 inches?

As the D Type body is listed as 'for no particular donor', I wouldn't mind knowing these dimensions in order to find a chassis that fits. The fun, of course, will be in fabricating all the panels, supports and braces twixt chassis and body...

I would be grateful if someone 'in the know' could advise me as I would love to build a D Type replica.
Available from eBay
Old 9th April 2016, 13:29

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Hi Hippo, D Type wheelbase was indeed 90" full details of dimensions can be found here -

http://www.carfolio.com/specificatio...car/?car=58509

If I were to build a D Type replica I'd be inclined to look at the Triumph Herald or Vitesse as a donor chassis. The wheelbase is only 1.5" longer than the D Type and the track width is about the same once you've added wire wheel adaptors (or spacers if you go with steel wheels). If you use a Vitesse donor you also get a great sounding six cylinder engine, so worth thinking about.

http://www.carfolio.com/specificatio...car/?car=55803

I'm sure someone who knows more than me will be along with more details soon. Good luck!

Last edited by Mister Towed; 9th April 2016 at 17:11.. Reason: Got wheelbase wrong...
Old 9th April 2016, 13:40

It appears we use the same optician, Mr Towed... Wheelbase should read 90 inches, of course, not 50!

It would be lovely if the Tribute D Type wheelbase was the same and had a width under the arches around that which I have gathered from comments on the A352 thread, it would open up a world of possibilities for suitable chassis.
Old 9th April 2016, 14:26

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Hippo - Welcome to the forum.

The D Type still appears for sale on the Tribute website.

http://www.tributeautomotive.com/dtype.html

But it would still be worth checking with Tribute for availability and they can also advise on suitable donors.

Unfortunately, there haven't been many build threads, but you could try sending a PM to Mick O'Malley who has recently built one.

There are some photos of his build in Scottie22's threads, such as these.

http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/foru...&postcount=224

Hope that helps, Paul.
Old 9th April 2016, 14:27

Praisehim is on a distinguished road
Default D type

Hi Hippo

I don't know much about measurements of the dtype but I am building one at the moment (well Gary is doing it for me) it's based on a modified scimitar chassis and jag xj6 parts used (XK engine,manual gearbox,loom,dials etc) dtype dashboard outsourced. I can possibly speak to Gary who may be able to answer some of your questions. Let me know

Thanks
Old 9th April 2016, 14:29

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

This is useful to see what other kits are using
http://www.totalkitcar.com/uk/uk-donor/
Old 9th April 2016, 15:37

Mick O'Malley is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L
you could try sending a PM to Mick O'Malley who has recently built one
It's still uncompleted, but it's only really the upholstery (sub-contracted to a seamstress friend) and paint left to do. It's insured and MOT'd 'til 2 September so I might well make it to this

Feel free to fire questions

Regards, Mick

P.S. You have a PM

P.P.S. I play this for inspiration. It fetched £3.5 million. Mine owes me about £5K

Last edited by Mick O'Malley; 9th April 2016 at 16:00..
Old 9th April 2016, 15:40

Thanks for that, Paul, I had a look at Mick O'Malley's, I'll drop him a line. It looks pretty tight under the bonnet but photos often distort the perspective so I won't give up yet!

Praisehim, I'd be grateful for any info you could glean from Gary as I would also like to use an XK engine and gearbox. I was concerned not only with bonnet clearance due to the height of the engine but also the length.

WCA, that's an excellent link!
Old 9th April 2016, 16:27

Hello Mr O'Malley!

Brilliant video clip!

I guess the most relevant information I need now is confirmation of the wheelbase and also the space between the wheel arches from one side to the other, front and rear, That way I can work out what chassis I can fit underneath the body.

The next question would be whether an XK engine would fit under the bonnet but hopefully Mr Praisehim will be able to confirm that for me.

I notice that in the photos of your car (the link that Paul posted), the fin appears to be a separate moulding subsequently affixed to the body, is this so? If it is, it would please me as I would like to lose the fin.
Old 9th April 2016, 18:41

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

Hi, I can tell you that the SE5 chassis is the one to get if you are going down the Scimitar route but it does involve shortening the chassis and quite a bit of ''clearancing '' to get a Jag lump between the crucifixal rails , it is going to need a Renault Oil filter or similar fitted , the really short ones , as there's no room left for stock filter , exhaust is going to be close too ..I think we are ok but its close ! The height that was required to get it under the bonnet without compromising prop angle ( prop is going to be about 12'' long !! ) has given us a less than ideal sump clearance but a change of wheels and tyres from the 14's fitted at present to TR6 , 15''wheels with a nice full profile tyre fitted will hopefully help us remedy that......They are a challenging build , bulkhead height of 18'' approx. and a 4 litre engine occupying the frontal area makes pedals , steering etc all a bit snug. As wide as they are , the cars sides are very deep , minimizing cockpit space and legroom quite considerably ..when you sit in one you have to admire those early drivers even more as its all a bit fitted ..

The Vitesse chassis isn't a bad idea ...straight 6 engine as standard wouldn't look out of place dressed up in there , by the time the bulkheads have been created and sundry items added etc. it would look quite at home . ...again though , crucifixal rails make fitting the Jag engine interesting and quite labour intensive .

Micky1mo on here is building one as well I believe on an unmodified Scimitar chassis tweaking the body to fit instead ...

I accept that people like to see a Jag engine in a Jag replica , and its obviously about final values as well ...but don't dismiss the Vitesse in its stock format as an option ...it will be a LOT less work to build ...

Last edited by lancelot link; 9th April 2016 at 18:56.. Reason: spelling mistakes
Old 9th April 2016, 19:34

All your points duly noted, Lancelot, thank you. I agree, a dressed Vitesse Six does look nice and very period. I haven't ruled anything out yet, it all depends on the measurements.

Regarding wheel and tyre sizes, I was hoping Avon CR28 205/70 VR 15 on replica Dunlop wheels would fit under the arches, a diameter 2.3 cms more than the original 165/80 15 TR6 tyre.
Old 9th April 2016, 19:49

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKmk...&nohtml5=False
Old 9th April 2016, 20:35

Triumph Special is on a distinguished road

I'm biased of course, but it'd seek a shame to carve up one of the few remaining Vitesses. Why not speak to Chris about his inspired use of a Lotus backbone chassis and pans as a basis?
Old 9th April 2016, 20:47

Oh I agree. Don't know about Vitesse but you can buy a new TR6 chassis modified to take coilover shocks, disc brakes all round etc. Once I have an idea of measurements, I can look out for a new chassis of whatever type that would fit.
Old 9th April 2016, 22:11

THE LOTUS CHASSIS ARE QUITE USEFUL ...I have had some experience of fitting alternative bodies to those . It would still have the issue of getting that long engine and box in and the pressed style chassis would be harder to alter to accommodate it successfully ..

The TVR 3000M chassis is very nearly perfect as long as you stick with the factory engines , mostly Ford V6 's but think they used a Triumph 2500 straight 6 in some of them ... . I know of a car that was started using one of those chassis and its a really really good fit ...they are a pricey donor though , but no ones expecting to come out of a D type project without spending some money !!
Old 10th April 2016, 06:36

Triumph Special is on a distinguished road

Yup, the TVR2500M (intended as an export model, but some stayed here) used the Triumph six.

Didn't you build a '32 based on a Lotus, Gary?
Old 10th April 2016, 06:42

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippo View Post
Oh I agree. Don't know about Vitesse but you can buy a new TR6 chassis modified to take coilover shocks, disc brakes all round etc. Once I have an idea of measurements, I can look out for a new chassis of whatever type that would fit.
New TR6 chassis from 'fast cars' does look nice, but I can't seem to find the price and they are in Michigan...

http://www.fastcarsinc.com/product/tr6-rolling-chassis/

Do you know of a UK supplier?

Of course, if you use a new chassis you'll either need to go down the route of IVA testing or use it as a replacement for a rusted out chassis from a donor car in order to just 'rebody' with DVLA and keep its identity and registration number.

Good luck finding the right chassis and I'm genuinely interested to see what you can find that's suitable.
Old 10th April 2016, 08:05

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

If you are considering the new chassis route for your build it might be worth getting the measurements on the various TVR options.

http://www.sportmotive.com/chassis.html
Old 10th April 2016, 08:40

Mick O'Malley is on a distinguished road
Wink I won Le Mans in '57 - sort of :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippo
Hello Mr O'Malley!

Brilliant video clip!

I guess the most relevant information I need now is confirmation of the wheelbase and also the space between the wheel arches from one side to the other, front and rear, That way I can work out what chassis I can fit underneath the body.

The next question would be whether an XK engine would fit under the bonnet but hopefully Mr Praisehim will be able to confirm that for me.

I notice that in the photos of your car (the link that Paul posted), the fin appears to be a separate moulding subsequently affixed to the body, is this so? If it is, it would please me as I would like to lose the fin.
Hi Hippo

IMHO, if you want to drive around in something that looks and sounds like a D Type, and will fool most folk, you can't go far wrong with an A352 on a Spitfire or GT6 chassis frame with a Vitesse/GT6/TR six pot engine. I'm biased, as this is what I'm creating. In over 30 years of playing with kit cars I've yet to see a pedantic nerd with a tape measure dissing anyone's wheelbase or track!

The look is enhanced by my early 50s index mark - a Q, a suffix, a prefix or, heaven forbid, a latest style mark immediately shatters the illusion. This is something you would have to live with if you built a car needing an IVA, a hurdle I think would anyway be difficult to negotiate for a D Type evocation.

A bloke who breaks small chassis Triumphs for a living with whom I do business has a Jaguar XK engined Spitfire under construction, so that route is possible.

The fin on my A352 was supplied separately. It needed a fair bit of cutting and shutting to make it fit. I also had a hump sans fin supplied as I wasn't sure of the style I wanted. It's tiny and was one of the reasons I went for the fin, apart, of course, for the major pose factor!

Regards, Mick

P.S. Browsing 'Kit Cars' on Ebay I just came across this. Flog that hideous body and adapt the rest?

Last edited by Mick O'Malley; 10th April 2016 at 09:09..
Old 10th April 2016, 09:42

redratbike is on a distinguished road

The eBay car needs that screen taking off and aero screens fitting