Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 6th September 2016, 22:57

aofb is on a distinguished road
Default New MX250 Builder....

Hello there.

I've recently got hold of a part finished MX250 / Mk1 MX-5 build that I'm looking to complete and haul around as a daily - decided that it's high time I had a mid life crisis (despite not being old enough in the traditional sense yet) and got myself something fun and ludicrously impractical to drive again.

Initial triage is looking promising:

rear : is all but complete, all bonded and blended to the door shut line, just need to install / bond in the rear window, install lights / number plate and sort a temporary rig exhaust so I can get it MOT'd (as I'm planning to go for a full stainless system eventually)

front: seemingly not started - need to install the wing extension plates, re-install the wings and do the 'Mk2 mod' (on the door shutline blend) as it seems the panel gap isn't great with the new front in position with the wings off (I thought it was bolt-on the Mk1?), cut for the scuttle and rivet / bond / fill it all down.

electrics: no progress at all - currently planning on 3d printing some connectors for whatever lights I end up using, as unless I solder the lot anything crimped without additional support will irritate me immensely.

interior: TBD. initial plan is to run on the MX-5 interior. Possibly thinking on a full dash rip out and retro style dash job (I'll be using my wife's Herald as a guide on this one...). There are a few real nice refits being done which can have ideas taken from.... Also playing with the idea of a couple of spare bucket seats / harnesses I have left over from a previous car that may go in too.

Cheers...I'll probably have more to ask when I get back on it at the weekend!

Tom
Available from eBay
Old 6th September 2016, 23:04

Default First one....

How does the nose of the front part of the kit fix down? I can see that the back is glued / riveted down...I presume the section on the wing extension is too, is there anything further forward that is held down too?

Cheers
Tom
Old 6th September 2016, 23:11

redratbike is on a distinguished road

I can't hep

Read this

http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/foru...ead.php?t=3943

If not read a few of the builds in the tribute section
Old 6th September 2016, 23:13

306craig is on a distinguished road

Hi mate, and welcome.

The half finished one you have just picked up wasn't on Ebay was it? Silver base car????

Any way, try this link for a good build thread
http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/foru...ead.php?t=3943

I am currently building a Mk2 so cant offer much help on the front end thing, however like you I have just picked up a half finished Mk1. So no doubt will be having the same predicament. Have a good look through the stickies at the top of the Tribute page, some really good builds there that will probably be useful.

Good luck mate.
Old 6th September 2016, 23:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by 306craig View Post
Hi mate, and welcome.

The half finished one you have just picked up wasn't on Ebay was it? Silver base car????.
Yes, that be the one. I did go and have a good poke around prior to committing any cash. To be honest provided the back end stays attached job's a good one - I'll have more confidence in my own work (false or not!?)
Old 7th September 2016, 14:35

I was toying over it too, but as I already have 2 on the go I thought I would let someone else benefit. Don't want to appear greedy! It looked in fairly good order, bargain too at that price!
Old 7th September 2016, 19:09

Danny_HUFC is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the forum. I hope you got a good price for it because as it was it seemed a but expensive...
Old 7th September 2016, 20:24

mazdarazmataz is on a distinguished road

I'm doing a mk1 build, albeit a convertible version. The front end was relatively easy. I think the kit has been revised a few times, perhaps yours is an early one?

What part of the world are you in?

The front end doesn't sit right until you remove the old bonnet hinges (I had to grind mine off) and you have to make a small cut to chassis to fit the headlamps (see my build)

Get some pics up of your problem and might be able to help.

Welcome to the forum and have fun building!
Old 7th September 2016, 20:27

Panel gap to door and bonnet wasn't great on mine, I used a product called indasa power weld to get good shutlines. My kit is seemingly OK with the original windscreen wipers in their original position
Old 7th September 2016, 21:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazdarazmataz View Post
I'm doing a mk1 build, albeit a convertible version. The front end was relatively easy. I think the kit has been revised a few times, perhaps yours is an early one?
It's not a recent one - it's been in storage for at least 2 years

Quote:
What part of the world are you in?
Leicestershire, UK officially but normally bound to a desk further north....

Quote:
The front end doesn't sit right until you remove the old bonnet hinges (I had to grind mine off) and you have to make a small cut to chassis to fit the headlamps (see my build)
Noted, will get Mr. Grinder out then

Quote:
Get some pics up of your problem and might be able to help.
Will do, once I establish whether there's an issue or not - it hasn't got the wing extenders on yet so it certainly wont sit right.

Having said that, thanks for the advice regarding original wiper positions - I quite like what grayone did with his cutouts if it comes to that.
Old 8th September 2016, 10:19

Where further north? I'm in Cheshire

You bonnet hinges may unbolt, grinded mine off because all my bolts shear
Old 8th September 2016, 13:18

I know the front end was just placed on in the pictures. Did it come with the inner wing extenders? 2 x pices of GRP about 8 inches wide and 2.5 feet long?

I know i am doing a mk2 but the principle is still the same:
Front end strip (done on yours) Remove coolant header tank (reposition at a later date) Remove fuse box (reposition at a later date)
Fit inner wing extenders
Trial fit front end to check heights and fit (mark any trimming needed)
Remove front end / grind / smooth / refit / mark any trimming etc until you are happy
Fit front end and drill, rivet and bolt on. DO NOT use adhesive, apparently this is very relevant on the MK1 as should you need to change the windscreen you have to remove the front end (maybe some of the MK1 builders could shed some more light). I riveted / bolted across the bulkhead, inner wings and slam panel, I will send some pics if you PM me your email?
Old 18th October 2016, 22:47

Sorry I'm being crap on the updates - not finding much time to go play with the MX at present.

ANYWAY...I've so far burnt around 15 hours on precursory work up front removing the alternator (which had seized) - whoever decided to tap a forward flange of a reverse bolted connection, then use an steel bolt [ally flange] needs shooting. Had to air chisel it off after rounding the lower bolt.

The biggest tale of woe so far is the undertray bolts, all of which are being slowly drilled out and replaced with nutserts. Slow job as I've only just realised my drill bits are rather blunt! With any luck they'll be out over the weekend and I can get the rear electrics sorted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 306craig View Post
I know the front end was just placed on in the pictures. Did it come with the inner wing extenders? 2 x pices of GRP about 8 inches wide and 2.5 feet long?
Yep, they're there....I've just been waylaid regards getting them installed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 306craig
Fit front end and drill, rivet and bolt on. DO NOT use adhesive, apparently this is very relevant on the MK1 as should you need to change the windscreen you have to remove the front end (maybe some of the MK1 builders could shed some more light).
Looks that way yes, unless you cut the front end back to the scuttle line (I'm toying with this idea atm).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 306craig
I riveted / bolted across the bulkhead, inner wings and slam panel, I will send some pics if you PM me your email?
That would be very well appreciated. Will do.
Old 18th October 2016, 22:49

Quote:
Where further north? I'm in Cheshire
Cumbria for my sins!

Quote:
You bonnet hinges may unbolt, grinded mine off because all my bolts shear
All of that lot, luckily is long gone!
Old 19th October 2016, 18:46

IanA is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by aofb View Post
Slow job as I've only just realised my drill bits are rather blunt!
Get some cobalt steel bits- they make HSS look like toys.
Old 7th December 2016, 22:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanA View Post
Get some cobalt steel bits- they make HSS look like toys.
They do...if you use them correctly! I've found them to be very heat sensitive - they need a good cool / rest / go again cycle and plenty of coolant but otherwise yes they work a treat.

Finally got all 6 undertray rivet nuts out and re-set at the weekend (needed a good day throwing at it - just haven't had the time so have been throwing odd hours at it and been hampered by discharged batteries etc.)

Have now moved onto the back end wiring - all loom alterations (excl. rear fogs) are done, now just need to tape it up and install the lights...more rivet nuts to set...yay (at least these are M4's so can be done by the gun rather than spanner)

Time for a stupid question - when installing the wing extension plates on the front, do I need to grind the lip on the inside edge flush or not? I can't tell how the blighters are meant to sit!

Cheers!
Old 8th December 2016, 03:59

I don't remember grinding any lip back, and I used some flush bolts instead of rivets to attach (so if I needed access later)
Old 1st January 2017, 19:23

Quote:
I don't remember grinding any lip back, and I used some flush bolts instead of rivets to attach (so if I needed access later)
Attached using the standard wing bolts. All clear the GRP front section adequately. FYI the lip is no issue when you put the front on.

Has anyone had to adjust the front end fit around the base of the A pillar? I'm thinking the area marked in blue (see attached) needs cutting back to dress up to the A pillar base... Thoughts appreciated!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20161228_194905.jpg (86.4 KB, 60 views)
Old 9th January 2017, 21:41

Good news!

Wheels are on (so I can assess how much they need banding / spacing) and I've trial fitted the front end. The front end is sagging to one side slightly (due to a failed spring on that side and a bit of natural warpage (the kit is a good 2-3 years old at least), which disturbs the shutlines at the doors and the bonnet. Luckily with some expert jacking all of this falls back into place nicely.

Have ordered the splitter rods, so am hoping to do a better fit of it next weekend with a bit of luck.
Old 27th February 2017, 23:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by aofb View Post
Wheels are on (so I can assess how much they need banding / spacing) and I've trial fitted the front end.

The front end is sagging to one side slightly (due to a failed spring on that side and a bit of natural warpage (the kit is a good 2-3 years old at least), which disturbs the shutlines at the doors and the bonnet. Luckily with some expert jacking all of this falls back into place nicely.
Famous last words.....

Failed spring took an investment in new kit (Blowtorch, air grinder) and many hours of swearing (at least 6!!), plus a new shock absorber to resolve. Still got another one to do but that'll wait.

With all of that in place, the front end sits absolutely sod all like level - lines up great at the NSF wing and both front end corners, but the OSF wing is a good 2-3mm inwards and a good 10mm too high, at best it's a good 5mm too high but wont bend any more so no chance it'll bend out alone. Looks like I'm going to have to relief cut and / or just cut the section out and patch it. Bugger! I wanted to learn GRP repairs on non-critical stuff really...

I'm intending to get all nerdish on it this weekend and check alignment of everything to a decent degree (+/- 2mm), but I suspect it'll tell me what I already know.