Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 9th December 2016, 17:26

Car photographer is on a distinguished road

looks great
Old 9th December 2016, 18:23

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

That does look absolutely stunning. Nice work.
Old 14th December 2016, 19:59

Mick O'Malley is on a distinguished road
Question MOT Sortie

Before the off

Shows the ill fitting RH side of the flip front to perfection. I'll worry about that later.

Regards, Mick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0044.jpg (95.8 KB, 482 views)
Old 14th December 2016, 20:06

zagmad is on a distinguished road

No comment
Old 14th December 2016, 20:25

Thumbs down Oops!

I took the scenic route to the test station, stopping to put £10 worth of juice in on the way. Felt amazing to be out in it in the sun with the wind where my hair used to be, blatting down a country lane.

The tester was incredibly thorough, taking the best part of an hour even with me sitting in the cockpit for him. He was fairly young, so I think he was probably unfamiliar with the donor vehicle. No problem with that: a new pair of eyes is always welcome!

Anyway, he failed it on a few counts, with a few advisories chucked in, so I've some fettling to do between now and The Crimble.

I'll post updates when progress is made. The welding is the only real bugbear, as I think I may have to plate it from the inside, which will require a bit of dismantling.

It's no fun if it's easy

Regards, Mick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Failure.jpg (92.5 KB, 136 views)
Old 15th December 2016, 09:34

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

At least it only failed on brakes and seat belts, nothing dangerous

:-)
Old 15th December 2016, 10:08

Barber is on a distinguished road

Kit owners know all about remedial though.
Old 15th December 2016, 17:27

Talking Spanners Ahoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldClassAccident
At least it only failed on brakes and seat belts, nothing dangerous
:-)

The corrosion is about 29.999cm from the lower mounting points in the rear wheel arches. I'd tailored a length of 1.5" steel angle between them to which the shoulder straps are fixed. In a collision that tore this free I think my eyeballs being fired from their sockets would be my main concern!

I should definitely have re-fettled the brakes before the test, but it sailed through last time and has done hardly any miles since, ho hum.

Pitched in today and made some progress: back brakes dismantled, drums and shoes cleaned with emery paper, rear off-side wheel bearing greased, which I was sure I'd done, but clearly not, as it took a good few strokes of the gun before some thin and very black old grease was expelled, followed by the new.

The primary handbrake cable needs adjusting, as there's quite a bit of travel. I had to drill out the rivets on my access panel to get to it, glad I bought 500 as I still have a few left for re-fitting!

I have to get the Mini MIG back from my mate who co-owns it before plating the dodgy areas. Access is a problem, if push comes to shove I'll have to remove the swinging arms, tie bars and shocks to get in there.

Regards, Mick
Old 16th December 2016, 13:37

Exclamation Displacement Activity

To alleviate the trauma of my miserable MOT failure, I decided to indulge in a little of the above .

First I re-fitted my reproduction D-Type steering wheel. I had the smaller one on for the test as the former makes access tricky for anyone with a pie-focussed diet, not realising that it'd be me sitting in.

Then I tackled fitting my Europa Spares convex aluminium racing mirror. After a bit of trial positioning with it fixed to stout card folded over the side perspex, I cautiously drilled the two 6mm mounting holes and bolted it on with the ugly hex-headed M6s supplied. I'll replace these with slot heads at a later date.

Due to the confines of the cockpit it was difficult to get a picture of the driver's view - I've added the best one which has only half an elbow in it! I have to say I'm pleased with the field of vision it provides.

Until the MIG returns and my new brake bits arrive I'll just have to keep watching and listening to this. As it sold for £3.5 million I calculate that mine owes me 0.157% of that. Three cheers for Chris & Dan!

Regards, Mick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0046.jpg (79.4 KB, 380 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0045.jpg (68.4 KB, 115 views)
Old 18th December 2016, 07:32

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Mick - Sorry to hear about the MOT fail, but it sounds like you have a plan to get a pass.

The dash looks great.

Good luck, Paul.
Old 18th December 2016, 08:01

Thanks Paul

I interpreted 'the shortest practicable route' to the test well beyond legality and was pleased with the way she drove. The authentically angled and sited gear lever took a bit of getting used to on the open road, the vertical centre of the seat back needs a little more padding, and the throttle pedal needs its own return spring as it feels a little too soft.

I'm hoping for a crisp dry start to 2017 so she can stretch her legs. We're blessed with lots of great roads here in Gloucestershire!

Regards, Mick
Old 18th December 2016, 08:33

Modern cars are now almost all fast, quiet, comfortable, economical and safe, but they distance the driver from the experience of fully interacting with the major controls: the steering, the gearbox, the pedals and, well, the seat of your pants.

There's nothing like piloting a simple, lightweight car on skinny tyres down a twisty B road to reconnect you with the pure joy of driving, and if that car happens to look like a classic racing car worth millions, which yours absolutely does, then all the better.

You might well be able to cover the same route faster in a mid-spec diesel repmobile, but the experience would be about as exciting as loading dirty socks into a really good washing machine. Dull as ditch-water.

Enjoy your car, it looks fantastic.
Old 18th December 2016, 09:12

Scottie22 is on a distinguished road

Would agree with the Towed Mick! He summed it up perfectly.

The car looks fantastic, and having personally seen it several times, warts and all in primer, the finished result is stunning!

I know its a bit of a bummer failing and all that, but I also know it will get its Mot, and next year you will really reap the benefits!

The towed missed one important fact on describing the whanging around country lanes bit -- THE NOISE of the engine!!!
That's what really does it for me.

I hope to come and see the car in person in the near future, Mot or not, won't make any difference to that pleasure!

Scottie
Old 18th December 2016, 12:16

deggsy is on a distinguished road

Looking fantastic a real credit to you.
Old 18th December 2016, 14:18

Jaguartvr is on a distinguished road

Dash does look very nice, wouldn't like to hit it hard in an accident, seems to have every sharp edge and pointy thing known to man! I think if you had to take it in for an IVA you might give the examiner a heart attack.
Old 18th December 2016, 15:09

Talking

Many thanks everyone for the kind comments . I think the real credit goes to Chris and Dan for producing a kit of this motoring icon within the financial reach of the bloke in the street. A guy at the MOT station who took an interest asked me about cost - when I told him it only owed me about £5k he was stunned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguartvr
Dash does look very nice, wouldn't like to hit it hard in an accident.
Agreed. I wouldn't like to even hit it softly! Fortunately my full harness belts should prevent this eventuality. The main danger is if I manage to roll it negotiating Mulsanne corner in the dawn fog....................

Regards, Mick

Last edited by Mick O'Malley; 19th December 2016 at 05:30..
Old 23rd December 2016, 13:09

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick O'Malley
Until the MIG returns and my new brake bits arrive I'll just have to keep watching and listening to this. As it sold for £3.5 million I calculate that mine owes me 0.157% of that. Three cheers for Chris & Dan!

Regards, Mick

I've just read Wednesday's edition of 'Classic Car Weekly' where I learnt that another ex Ecurie Ecosse D-Type was auctioned in Monterey in August for £16.6 million!!! Mine therefore now only owes me 0.0301% of the real thing. Result!

Regards, Mick
Old 24th December 2016, 10:40

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

I've just read Wednesday's edition of 'Classic Car Weekly' where I learnt that another ex Ecurie Ecosse D-Type was auctioned in Monterey in August for £16.6 million!!! Mine therefore now only owes me 0.0301% of the real thing.

I was at a car show and a bloke was mocking my car said "Yeah but it is only half the fun of the real thing" I wish I had your % to reply - 50% of the fun for 0.0301% of the price
Old 24th December 2016, 12:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldClassAccident View Post
I've just read Wednesday's edition of 'Classic Car Weekly' where I learnt that another ex Ecurie Ecosse D-Type was auctioned in Monterey in August for £16.6 million!!! Mine therefore now only owes me 0.0301% of the real thing.

I was at a car show and a bloke was mocking my car said "Yeah but it is only half the fun of the real thing"
How the hell would he know that without driving yours? You should have asked him if you could have a go in his real one so you could see what he meant.

I also suspect that the new owner of the £16.6 million genuine article may well put it straight into climate controlled deep storage and forget about it until it's worth £33.2 million, which by then will be almost enough for a deposit on a pokey flat in Knightsbridge with nowhere to park it anyway.

Where's the fun in that?
Old 26th December 2016, 12:11

rochdaleGT is on a distinguished road

why this new shiny exhaust is mostly covered in overspray? also the wheels look like they have a light coat of bluemetallic on the insides. what a botch from the spray-shop. i would claim some money back as you have now the trouble to get rid of the overspray because they had been too lazy masking the parts correctly.