Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 26th December 2016, 13:00

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

welcome back RochdaleGT .............
Old 26th December 2016, 14:27

oxford1360 is on a distinguished road

I've missed Rochdale's Miss Havisham view of life.
Old 26th December 2016, 14:50

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Towed View Post
How the hell would he know that without driving yours? You should have asked him if you could have a go in his real one so you could see what he meant.
Reminded me a bit of someone on here who drove old Peugeots (I think) but tried a Z3 to see if it was worth converting. He concluded that he could live with a machine that tried to do everything for him and flashed warnings an sirens the whole time he drove it. Everything that was wrong with modern cars was his conclusion.

I checked my car for drivers aids and warnings.
Seat belt light goes out after 30 seconds
Traction control light when wheels try to spin but can be switched off
Low fuel warning
Head light buzzer if you remove the keys

I can only conclude that his test drive was less than 30 secondswith no fuel while not wearing a seat belt with his headlights on but the ignition off and he was spinning the wheels at the time...

I think some people say things because they think it is what they should say either to fit in or to belittle someone. Knobs.
Old 26th December 2016, 16:34

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rochdaleGT View Post
why this new shiny exhaust is mostly covered in overspray? also the wheels look like they have a light coat of bluemetallic on the insides. what a botch from the spray-shop. i would claim some money back as you have now the trouble to get rid of the overspray because they had been too lazy masking the parts correctly.
So much for the season of goodwill.

RochdaleGT - What exactly is the point of your post?

Mick has stated that he thinks the paint job is "absolutely stunning".

As it is his car and he has seen the car in the flesh (whilst the rest of us have only seen photos) why do you doubt him?

What you see as overspray could just as easily be a reflection, so why not check your 'facts' first?

Instead, you are confidently stating the painter has been lazy, which simply adds to the impression that you are one of these...

Alternatively...

[Football Chant]

"Are you Micha in disguise?"

[/Football Chant]

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Mick O'Malley - Personally, I just see an outstanding build.

So please carry on as you were, cheers, Paul.
Old 26th December 2016, 16:43

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

[rochdaleGT]
Gravel on the drive not even sizes and needs weeding
[/ rochdaleGT]
Old 26th December 2016, 17:13

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Interestingly, Octane magazine focuses on the range of coach-built Ferrari 250's this month (I can absolutely recommend it as a riveting read). This includes a quote from a letter written by American racing driver and businessman, George Arents, who was U.S. Ferrari importer Luigi Chinetti's business partner at the time, regarding the quality control at Scaglieti who built all 104 California Spyders for Ferrari -

'The only proper jig they had was a bronze effort to lock in the windscreen with the firewall. Otherwise, bodies were built by attaching lengths of welding rod to the frame and then bending them up so as to approximate such as fenders. From there an older artisan would beat hell out of a hunk of metal held in place by an apprentice, try it out, shake his head and resort to more beating until everybody agreed that "Ah! It was right," weld it into place and start off with the next piece.'

Funnily enough, you don't hear many people nit-picking about the fit and finish on original California Spyders now, do you.

Truth be told, even production cars from the 50's weren't built that well and anything from an Italian coach-builder was likely to look fantastic at ten paces but not stand up to close scrutiny, while the cars developed by racing departments were 100% function over form so fripperies like paint finish were very low down the list of priorities. That gives us amateur builders a lot of scope to do things 'just about well enough' and still end up with a car that looks like it was built six decades ago.

It's all too easy to criticise other people's home built cars when you haven't got the talent to do it yourself, now isn't it.
Old 26th December 2016, 17:38

molleur is on a distinguished road

It is an outstanding build IMO.
Don't forget that the only one the build has to please is the owner.
Nonetheless, it is an excellent job!
Old 26th December 2016, 19:11

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Towed View Post
Interestingly, Octane magazine focuses on the range of coach-built Ferrari 250's this month (I can absolutely recommend it as a riveting read). This includes a quote from a letter written by American racing driver and businessman, George Arents, who was U.S. Ferrari importer Luigi Chinetti's business partner at the time, regarding the quality control at Scaglieti who built all 104 California Spyders for Ferrari -

'The only proper jig they had was a bronze effort to lock in the windscreen with the firewall. Otherwise, bodies were built by attaching lengths of welding rod to the frame and then bending them up so as to approximate such as fenders. From there an older artisan would beat hell out of a hunk of metal held in place by an apprentice, try it out, shake his head and resort to more beating until everybody agreed that "Ah! It was right," weld it into place and start off with the next piece.'

Funnily enough, you don't hear many people nit-picking about the fit and finish on original California Spyders now, do you.

Truth be told, even production cars from the 50's weren't built that well and anything from an Italian coach-builder was likely to look fantastic at ten paces but not stand up to close scrutiny, while the cars developed by racing departments were 100% function over form so fripperies like paint finish were very low down the list of priorities. That gives us amateur builders a lot of scope to do things 'just about well enough' and still end up with a car that looks like it was built six decades ago.

It's all too easy to criticise other people's home built cars when you haven't got the talent to do it yourself, now isn't it.
I'VE BEEN SAYING IT FOR YEARS ...I love the raw and 'no frills' look of genuine cars .....

One jig ? , love it ...we have gone over the top then ....we've got about 8 slice templates on the go at the moment ...
Old 27th December 2016, 10:06

Jaguartvr is on a distinguished road

I agree with WCA..........

Gravel and weeds are shocking
Old 27th December 2016, 16:36

Car photographer is on a distinguished road

nice
Old 27th December 2016, 16:47

rochdaleGT is on a distinguished road

i have never said "the paintjob is bad"...you have mis-interpreted that from my posting

i´m shocked / angry about such botching spray-shops not doing their job right.

the builder of the car has invested a lot of time building the car in a proper way, with a clean chassis etc.

now such a sprayshop is "destroying" everything and the builder has to invest further time & effort "correcting" the sprayshops mistakes.

and its doesnt matter if he has paid 300 or 3000 pound...its a clear botch!!!

Last edited by rochdaleGT; 27th December 2016 at 16:53..
Old 28th December 2016, 07:33

Mick O'Malley is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Spray Job

As I'd never paid anyone to paint a car before, I decided to go by personal recommendation and got three. I'd already bought the cellulose paint from a couple I know from the Beaulieu Autojumble.

The first guy came to mine to have a look before committing. He was a typical know it all: in his 20s; tattoos; body piercings and a 'look, I'm a twat'. haircut. He told me that "nobody uses cellulose any more, you want it done in water based two-pack mate". I explained to him that 'He who pays the piper calls the tune', but he just wasn't listening. I was relieved when he roared off in his hot hatch: tinted windows and 'The Best Jungle CD - Ever', unsurprisingly.

I had high hopes for the second, he was recommended by the bloke who does my tidy welding for me (I do the untidy bits that can't be seen). He listened carefully, ran his hands over the project and quoted a reasonable price. Unfortunately he was in the throes of having new premises built and was unable to commit "anytime soon".

The third was recommended by a friend I met when we both had Dutton Phaetons back in '82. I went over to his place to discuss and was impressed. There was a scattering of MGBs, Minis, A35s etc in the yard and a black Porsche 911 in the booth (read 'concrete floored Cotswold stone outbuilding). We spoke the same language and I liked the way his eyes lit up when I described the project - he'd already asked me all about my Mk1 Marlin Roadster I'd arrived in. As the project wasn't in front of him we danced around the price a little before agreeing a slightly elastic ball park figure.

After removing the lights; screen; tonneau cover studs etc another of my kit car friends from the early 80s towed me over there, sadly not behind his very early and beautifully patinated Westfield XI.

I'm not one to chase and my mind was partly on my impending S. America trip, so it wasn't until about three weeks before I sailed that I gave him a call: it was a sort of "It'll be ready on Wednesday" moment. I realised he hadn't touched it but he had my trust and we agreed a pick up and pay date.

It was around the back when we arrived and I can honestly say I couldn't believe it was my car. I had a good look over it and saw that there was DIY work to be done. In his office (read barn) he agreed to my paying him 75% of the above mentioned as there was overspray in places. We parted on excellent terms - he's looking forward to painting my S4 Lotus Seven .

I got very good VFM; Nitromors is cheap and I have plenty of time. Had I not been under time pressure with the trip I would have gone and had a look first, discussed the (in my book) minor shortcomings in the job, and agreed the way forward (my 'Bullshit Bingo' tick list came to mind using that phrase!).

So, in a nutshell, I got what I paid for and will be more than happy to go back.

Regards, Mick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0248.jpg (97.9 KB, 99 views)

Last edited by Mick O'Malley; 18th September 2023 at 11:26..
Old 28th December 2016, 08:54

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Mick - I don't know how you can be so calm after everything you built was destroyed.

Jokes aside, I'm really looking forward to seeing your car back on the road again.

Good luck, Paul.
Old 28th December 2016, 16:15

IanA is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick O'Malley View Post
..So, in a nutshell, I got what I paid for and will be more than happy to go back.
That bottom line really is the bottom line.

I hope to be in that position when I've had my Z300S painted.

And Nitromors will probably blitz the weeds.
Old 23rd January 2017, 09:42

Thumbs up Recreation

I just spotted this on Ebay. Very nice, apart from the incorrect style of 'lance corporal' stripe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0249.jpg (94.4 KB, 74 views)
Old 23rd January 2017, 10:16

froggyman is on a distinguished road

And another one here!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ecurie-Eco...D100033%26rk%3
Old 23rd January 2017, 10:58

Lightbulb D'Oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggyman View Post
And another one here!
Click on my 'this' link above.

Regards, Mick
Old 26th January 2017, 09:06

Talking New Project

I've started a thread in the 'Vintage and Classic' section. If evidence of insanity were needed, this is surely it. I can hardly wait .
Old 26th January 2017, 11:38

UpstateCobraGuy is on a distinguished road

Looks great!

I have an acquaintance who happens to own a few autos. His D-Type is very original since it never was raced back in the day.

Just thought I'd share

Patrick
Old 26th January 2017, 13:38

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Wow, that looks better than new!