Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 28th April 2012, 15:39

AndyP57 is on a distinguished road

It would be a sin not to turn it into a Spyder unless the chassis and all else underneath was completely rotten (Which, on brief examination, it doesn't seem to be!)
Old 29th April 2012, 15:38

Well, despite the weather being totally awful, we made good advantage of having an indoor build area today with the result that Betsy is about an hour away from showing us what she has been hiding under the bodywork:

Up top, there has been many signs of being attacked by an overkeen welder. the floor panels were not only patched up like a quilt but stuck together which needed some judicious use of the old 1mm cutting disk:

Though the engine bay, a little surface rusty, isn't beyond a wire brush and some POR15:

With this progress, and a spare hour or so tomorrow in between meetings, I hope to raise the tub and start figuring out what is to become of her. I'm buoyed by the fact that I share accommodation with not only a car trimmer, but a metal fabricator who has already shown some interest in helping out when required

Hopefully more photos tomorrow.
Old 1st May 2012, 17:01

I managed to get to the unit for a few hours yesterday and today and have achieved, quite frankly, a lot more than I'd expected to. The tub came off with a little persuasion and revealed a chassis in a reasonable condition. It's obvious some parts have been changed with the body on and have only been welded on the bottom but there are no massive holes and is well within the realm of refurbishment. Photos follow:

The windscreen surround was soon dispatched:

And after some fighting with a badly corroded bolt, the bulkhead was removed to see what lay beneath:

you may have already clocked on that this one is a 'keeper' rather than a spares strip so it will come as no surprise that I've already ordered another Spyder kit
Old 1st May 2012, 17:05

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Looks very solid. Are you going to keep the tow bar so you can go touring with a teardrop?
Old 1st May 2012, 17:08

Certainly worth a thought MT! Got to build a teardrop before I can do that though
Old 1st May 2012, 17:26

The 1958 Rocker is on a distinguished road
Default Teardrop!!

Mmmmmm Teardrop, a word synonymous with Sammio I think.
Old 1st May 2012, 18:09

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Yep, I'd seriously considered hunting out a Herald/Vitesse tow bar so I could pull a teardrop caravan with my Spyder. Ultimately I decided that Travelodge would be cheaper.
Old 1st May 2012, 18:19

Straight Sixer is on a distinguished road

You can't tow a travel lodge with a Herald.... well maybe with a 4.11:1 ratio diff.
Old 1st May 2012, 19:48

GazDavies is on a distinguished road

The donor looks very solid, are you planning another full strip and rebuild or going for the quick build option?

Im very jealous of your workshop, could use something like that myself, especially now the interior is about to go in.
Old 1st May 2012, 21:15

Hi Gaz. This one is destined to be straight out of the box, basic build with just enough refurb to get a solid MoT pass and keep a tally on all costs and times taken. I know it's around 20 miles from you but there are units still available. If you're at all interested I'll send you details.
Old 2nd May 2012, 14:13

After having spoken to my local welder, I thought I'd make life easier for him (cheaper for me!) by removing the engine so the car can be tipped and making a start on cleaning the chassis. Engine was out in 20 minutes and the rest of our time was spent with angle grinder and crimped wire brushes. I reckon there's a couple more days of scrubbing to go but if all goes to plan, with welding done on saturday and picking up some POR15 or equivalent at Stoneleigh, we should have a chassis worthy of Sammio by the end of next week. After this batch of photos, I won't bore you with the 'little bit cleaner' set so next shots should be on the rebuild or at least once the chassis is painted:

Engine out:

Chassis flipped:

And back again:

Hope to meet up with some of you over a beer or two at Stoneleigh

Old 2nd May 2012, 17:28

GazDavies is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyP57 View Post
I know it's around 20 miles from you but there are units still available. If you're at all interested I'll send you details.
Thanks Andy. The distance doesnt bother me too much however Ive just been made redundant so would want to commit to anything just yet until I know where my next job is based.
Old 2nd May 2012, 17:30

No worries Gaz and sorry about the redundancy. Let me know if and when you are looking for something and I'll look around for you.
Old 5th May 2012, 10:38

AndyP85 is on a distinguished road

A lot of hard work but 'Betsy's is starting to come up trumps! Still amazed on how good the chassis is compared to the Vittesse! Looking forward to start building her up to a lovely Spyder!
Old 5th May 2012, 11:31

Chassis welding now done and will start painting it after Stoneleigh. Had a word with the local welder who sees no problem in making good the areas of the bulkhead I was worried about. Problem diverted
Old 5th May 2012, 20:07

AndyP85 is on a distinguished road

Very impressed at the weld job! Hope the chassis will look twice as good with 'POR15'. Really can't wait to start building her up now!!
Old 9th May 2012, 10:43

Just had an update from Gary about the Vitesse.
it's now got the body fitted:

so it's starting to come alive.
DVLA is booked for 23rd May, a little longer than they hoped but plenty can be readied before that. It goes into paint the same day so will be ready to come back home around the end of the month.
There is a good chance she'll be making it to the Sammio Meet
Old 9th May 2012, 12:32

tlrtone is on a distinguished road

well done, making progress then.

It's a shame that you aren't having all the fun of putting the body on and the rubbing down and painting! I can tell you, it is an absolute joy

Seriously though, I think you are missing out on the best and most challenging bit of the build!

Then again, at least you will have yours done in a decent timeframe! I am hoping mine will be ready for the meet in June.
Old 9th May 2012, 12:35

Gary is handling this one as I didn't have anywhere to do the big stuff but now I have the unit I'll be getting dirty with Betsy and after she's done, I'm planning on Cordelia the Cordite
Old 9th May 2012, 12:41

tlrtone is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyP57 View Post
Gary is handling this one as I didn't have anywhere to do the big stuff but now I have the unit I'll be getting dirty with Betsy and after she's done, I'm planning on Cordelia the Cordite
A proper little production line then!