Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 20th December 2011, 16:43

Roybo is on a distinguished road

must say i can't wait to see how the spitfire based kit turns out.
hope it turn out as good as the other sammios
Old 22nd December 2011, 17:02

Paul D is on a distinguished road

Having had a look on the How Many Left? website, I have roughly found the following:
Herald's taxed on the road 2643, Heralds SORN 1359, Total 4002
Vitesse's taxed on the road 1434, Vitesse's SORN 606, Total 2040
Combined total 6042

Spitfire's Taxed on the road 4006, Spitfires SORN 3153, Total 7159
GT6's taxed on the road 888 GT6'S SORN 559, Total 1447
Combined total 8,606

So by extending the model range to cover the Spitfire/GT6 chassis as a basis for more Sammio's Gary will have a potential donor pool of vehicles in the order of 14,648 vehicles!

Good business decision in my opinion.
Old 22nd December 2011, 17:45

seanick is on a distinguished road

Theres good logical research. Well done. Far more than I thought.
Old 22nd December 2011, 17:53

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
Having had a look on the How Many Left? website, I have roughly found the following:
Herald's taxed on the road 2643, Heralds SORN 1359, Total 4002
Vitesse's taxed on the road 1434, Vitesse's SORN 606, Total 2040
Combined total 6042

Spitfire's Taxed on the road 4006, Spitfires SORN 3153, Total 7159
GT6's taxed on the road 888 GT6'S SORN 559, Total 1447
Combined total 8,606

So by extending the model range to cover the Spitfire/GT6 chassis as a basis for more Sammio's Gary will have a potential donor pool of vehicles in the order of 14,648 vehicles!

Good business decision in my opinion.
Great website, hours of fun for any petrolhead!

I ran an old favourite through and now feel rather sad though: the Fiat 128-3p Berlinetta that I owned and loved in the early eighties now sports just five licenced and six SORN.

For those of you who've never seen one, it was a little front drive sports hatch with a high rev 1300 ohc motor. It was also the first ever production car to sport passive rear wheel steering, which FIAT patented and then sold on to Peugeot, who used it in the 306. The handling was pin sharp and I enjoyed throwing it around the mountain roads for about two years while I lived up in the highlands of Scotland.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuOeQZJjDNA

With fond memories of my first one I bought a 'restoration project' in the late nineties, only to find it was too badly rusted to save. So, to my eternal shame, it was sold on to a banger racer...
Old 22nd December 2011, 18:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Towed View Post
Great website, hours of fun for any petrolhead!

I ran an old favourite through and now feel rather sad though: the Fiat 128-3p Berlinetta that I owned and loved in the early eighties now sports just five licenced and six SORN.

For those of you who've never seen one, it was a little front drive sports hatch with a high rev 1300 ohc motor. It was also the first ever production car to sport passive rear wheel steering, which FIAT patented and then sold on to Peugeot, who used it in the 306. The handling was pin sharp and I enjoyed throwing it around the mountain roads for about two years while I lived up in the highlands of Scotland.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuOeQZJjDNA

With fond memories of my first one I bought a 'restoration project' in the late nineties, only to find it was too badly rusted to save. So, to my eternal shame, it was sold on to a banger racer...
a friend of mine had one as his first car hand me down from a parent,wow what a car he did everything he could to it,until the body work let it down,totally underestimated by everyone including the insurance companies at the time,i suppose they compared it to the 124 (later fso/lada)
the days when cars were different,and cars had a company 'character' had a 131 meself
Old 22nd December 2011, 18:34

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roybo View Post
must say i can't wait to see how the spitfire based kit turns out.
hope it turn out as good as the other sammios
Pretty keen to get going myself !

Interesting figures on the remaining Triumphs , I assume any cars that have been off the road since pre-SORN won't be necessarily included , but gives us an idea of survival.

The Cordite isn't going to be breath takingly different from the current Spyder - main body will look fairly similar , bonnet changes are the main thing.

Not sure whats going to happen yet , but something maybe a bit Maserati-ish , the lower fish mouth grille styling could work....

not sure really....will stick to 7'' headlight styling though ....probably !!

Lancia D25 is finding itself at the top of my list at the moment and will be a nice follow on from the 24 type Spyder looks...

Last edited by lancelot link; 22nd December 2011 at 18:41..
Old 22nd December 2011, 18:41

http://api.ning.com/files/TOoAQlDC4X...y/P1020737.jpg
another 50's front end i love maserati this time
Old 22nd December 2011, 18:46

Liking the idea of the Lancia D25 to follow on from the D24 look of the Spyder.

Stunning.
Old 22nd December 2011, 19:06

http://www.forgottenfiberglass.com/w.../2-300x199.jpg
http://www.forgottenfiberglass.com/w...11/17651/6.jpg
http://www.forgottenfiberglass.com/w...mb-620x250.jpg
guess the make....beautiful,and in the same vane as the sammio imho also used triumph parts.
(sorry about the link but the site i've always used to host my pics has been down a while).

Last edited by Roybo; 22nd December 2011 at 19:12..
Old 22nd December 2011, 20:10

That looks nice.

Could be based on the sort of Fennarri that a well known ginger dj might pay a zillion dollars for and then paint white...
Old 23rd December 2011, 13:05

Quote:
That looks nice.

Could be based on the sort of Fennarri that a well known ginger dj might pay a zillion dollars for and then paint white...
if that reply was to me Mr Towed no it's a morgan believe it or not, pretty isn't it
baesd on a TR4 I believe
Old 23rd December 2011, 15:50

Very pretty ....not seen that before.

Distinct Ferrari styling as Towed says....
Old 24th December 2011, 06:10

Roadster is on a distinguished road

I think the D25 is the right influence to fill the gap between the spyder and the G46

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=lan...1t:429,r:2,s:0
Old 24th December 2011, 08:38

I'm sure Gary will come up with an evolution of the Spyder shape for the Spitfire chassis that'll do the brand justice, and the D25 look would certainly get my vote.

Gary, are there any press release pics of your flying panto Spyder in action? I'd love to see some, and, on that note, may I wish everyone on the forum a very HAPPY CHRISTMAS!
Old 24th December 2011, 09:09

Psycho pops is on a distinguished road

I would just like to echo Mr Towed's sentiments, Happy Christmas one and all and a very productive New Year... Hope to see you all with the finished builds in 2012
Cheers Pops
Old 24th December 2011, 17:58

Quote:
I'm sure Gary will come up with an evolution of the Spyder shape for the Spitfire chassis that'll do the brand justice, and the D25 look would certainly get my vote.

Gary, are there any press release pics of your flying panto Spyder in action? I'd love to see some, and, on that note, may I wish everyone on the forum a very HAPPY CHRISTMAS!

D25 ish styling is probably the way its going.....

If you look at the general shape of the car , you can see the Sammio-ness of it.....headlight covers may be a bit taxing but the shape tweaked a little could probably live wirthout them....

I am waiting for a video of the Super Sammio in action .....it was a bit of a secret initially but The Twins have promised me something in the new year....obviously as soon as I have it , I will post it.

Its bright Red with white roundalls and the number 7....
Old 25th December 2011, 08:18

Patton is on a distinguished road

Number 7 oh no!
Old 9th January 2012, 13:25

Nick59 is on a distinguished road

Ready made cordite rolling chasis going on ebay at the mo.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1978-TRIUM...item4ab2bb18ea
Old 9th January 2012, 19:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot link View Post
D25 ish styling is probably the way its going.....

If you look at the general shape of the car , you can see the Sammio-ness of it.....headlight covers may be a bit taxing but the shape tweaked a little could probably live wirthout them....
Firstly , thanks for the link Nick - that would fit the bill nicely....

I have made some very conscious decisions over the weekend about the Cordite. Firstly , I spent some time round my friend , Chris ( Tribute Automotive ) Welch's house yesterday and he very kindly turned my ramblings into a photoshopped image of how I think the car should and could look. He wants to fine tune the image , add some better shut lines etc for me before hes happy for me to use it , but when I left it was looking the part and is very feasible.
I won't go into too much detail until I get my image back , possibly end of week as Chris is trying to be creative and constructive with his own project as well as suffering my passionate pleas for assistance !!

The car is very obviously a Sammio - no question.

The rear hasn't changed a great deal , only dimensionally to accept the Spit configuration. The bonnet has changed to allow for the taller engine. I am trying to avoid compulsory scoops and bulges as they aren't for everyone....I didn't want to restrict the appeal by forcing a race-look on every interested party....scoops and vents , blisters etc can always be added if thats your thing...
The reality of creating a real version may not pan out completely blister free , but hopefully it will.

I have taken some inspiration from an early 50's British car and an Italian one....stock 7'' headlights and no covers will feature rather than shrouded ones.

If everything goes to plan , the bonnet may be a 3rd option to be used on the original Sammio as well !

The other decision I have made is to build this one more like the Chevaux....By that I mean we won't be using the Spit bulkhead. This is primarily for 2 reasons. The Spit body doesn't naturally seperate in the way the Herald one does and there appears to be a lot of Spit chassis out there without bodies at all....this will allow those to be an option for people.

The frame will resemble the Chevaux with outriggers and a framework mimicking the bulkhead of the Spit will be part of it as well. 20x20 box will be used .
The front section will feature lowered outriggers to create footwells and plates will be in place to accept the stock pedal units/cylinders etc.....the body will feature a bulkhead top section and horizontal shelf that the pedals will hold down to the steel frame . Lower bulkhead will be created by bonding/sikkoflexing flat sheet to the framework....slightly more involved , but not much. Probably faster to build than repairing a rusty bulkhead !!

My development chassis should be here on Friday , so I can finally get going !
Old 11th January 2012, 21:40

Heres the picture Chris has done for me ....Thank you Chris , pleased with that.

I know its a photoshop , but its pretty close ...I took some influence from 1953 Ferrari 375 and AC Ace front grilles and bonnet lines , the rear is clearly still SAMMIO.

The raised bonnet / larger grille is from necessity but I like it.

The body is approx 7'' shorter , screen is a full wrap , tail fin etc.

As well as the bonnet being optional to use with the existing Spyder / Chevaux packages ...I am hoping the screens , tail fin , doors etc can all be mixed and matched...

DIFFERENT BUT THE SAME .....