Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 22nd May 2012, 09:39

garyh is on a distinguished road

Never T, Have a good day.
Old 22nd May 2012, 11:37

Viatron is on a distinguished road

Tony, if settle on design and can supply a graphic I have a vinyl cutter in the workshop
Mac
Old 22nd May 2012, 12:14

tlrtone is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viatron View Post
Tony, if settle on design and can supply a graphic I have a vinyl cutter in the workshop
Mac
Mac,

this is what I have drawn..

I am happy to have it just black with the "white" bits cut out to show the car colour through.

If you can help that would be bloody marvellous, just let me know what I owe you!!
Old 22nd May 2012, 15:32

Viatron is on a distinguished road

you have PM
Old 22nd May 2012, 15:41

Thanks Mac, PM'd ya right back! You are a star!
Old 22nd May 2012, 18:01

Jerome is on a distinguished road

Wow, great looking car! I really like the color and the black wheels!
The paint job looks very nice, well done!

Your rear lights are simple but they look very nice.
Old 22nd May 2012, 19:30

Couple more pics.... I have started to flatten the paint with 1200 wet and dry and added a couple of decals. Got to do the final polish and shine, but it is coming out really nicely...

Sorry, but I'm loving it and so keep taking pictures! The missus thinks that I am obsessed!

Currently I am waiting on:

1. The seat backs and headrests are at the trimmers and expected back this week....(I said that last week I know! )
2. The radiator from a local company that is re-coring it as it had a hole or two in - it was the original rad so is 48 years old after all! They are upgrading it to more fins-per-inch so the cooling will be even better! They reckon early next week for that..
3. A new gearbox tunnel from Honeybourne mouldings - they have quoted 2-3 weeks so I will probably use the old knackered one for now!
4. Side graphics from Viatron - cheers for that Mac! Coming next week
5. Carb trumpets and inner rear wings from Gary - not a showstopper for now.
6. Finish trimming the centre tunnel once I have the gearbox tunnel in...

And that's it!

Ironically it is Taxed until the end of June and the MOT runs out on the 7 July! so as soon as I can get the things sorted I will be out - if the weather stays as nice as it has been today!

Last edited by tlrtone; 22nd May 2012 at 19:33..
Old 22nd May 2012, 20:53

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrtone View Post
... The missus thinks that I am obsessed! ...

Funny I've been on the wrong end of the "O" word since buying a Spitfire.
At least you have a shiny car to show for it, not a house full of car parts!

I'm planning to put a small Union Jack on the either side of the bonnet, just above the latches.
My Triumph motorbike had them on its fairing & it is a nice touch.

Keep taking the photos, Paul.
Old 23rd May 2012, 06:20

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

Just when I had decided on blue you go and post that.
Brass stud!
Back to the colour charts
Old 25th May 2012, 19:09

oooh, look what I got

Old 27th May 2012, 14:30

after the eupohoria of getting a Sammio Spyder embroidered polo shirt, I was a bit disappointed to uncover the car this morning as find this....

This is caused by air bubbles in the fibreglass and obviously with all the nice weather we have been having it has made the fibreglass and filler blow out.

Luckily it was only confined to the second hump (I think Mike must have had an off day!) so I had to get the grinder out and as I took the top layer of fibreglass off, it revealed an air pocket underneath each bulge. So I spent today grinding out all the blown areas and adding filler to get it back to a sensible shape!

All the filler work is now done and I will repaint it later this week.. I am still aiming to have it on the road by Friday night!!
Old 27th May 2012, 14:56

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

BUGGER ABOUT THE BUBBLES ....really sorry about that.

We always go right around a body with a heat gun before we put any paint on ....for that very reason...Even the best laid glass can have issues ....we have a place in front of us building Sunseeker parts and they have a full time staff of several people employed simply to deal with 'issues'

The very hot weather recently has brought a few up on one of the bodies here too......a heat gun and 20 mins can save a lot of aggro.....
Old 27th May 2012, 15:37

Patton is on a distinguished road

I must admit with hindsight, leaving Skippy unpainted proved beneficail, I've been altering bits n bobs as I've driven about changing my mind on stuff, some may like the "rat" look but seeing every bodies "finished" sammio's I may not last untill the MOT and tax run out in October still a quick blast puts me back on plan, just ordered a flasher unit (not a dirty mac) now most electrics have been renewed, anyway shes looking good tlrtone, PAT
Old 27th May 2012, 16:06

It's one of the reasons I decided to paint it myself though to be honest, as I knew I would get some settlement issues, you always do with fibreglass bodies.

My idea is to run around for a year and as Pat says, that way all the issues can be sorted easily. I can then get it professionally done if that is the way I want to go.

Either way, it is annoying, but not a showstopper, so the shakedown run is still planned for friday!!
Old 27th May 2012, 16:20

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Shame about the bubbles, but just think how you'd feel if you'd paid a pro sprayer two grand to finish your £20k Caterham. At least you can re-prep panels yourself and blow some fresh paint on when such 'issues' arise.

Hope you meet your deadline for the shakedown run
Old 27th May 2012, 16:34

davecymru is on a distinguished road

Shame, but don't worry about it.
A very clever guy i talked to about Lambo shells years ago always said that when glassing or painting newly laid up fibreglass, always do it on nights where the temp doesn't' drop below 13degrees and take your time.

I admit that i left my shell outside for few weeks under a tarp at the end of last year on purpose before i even fitted it. Then when i painted mine i filled, waited over night, corrected, waited over night etc and "fingers crossed" my paint job has turned out well.

Apart...... from the area directly in front of the wind deflector where i did last minute repairs and the over night temp was dropping over the new year.
There i have sunken bits, and my only small bubbles

But as someone at the Bath & West Classic Car Show said after I'd told him I'd only just built it. It makes it look "period" to have some battle scars as he thought it was actually 43 years old!
Old 27th May 2012, 17:12

mulberry is on a distinguished road

tirtone

ive had few small blisters too. and have left one on the rear hump to give it an aged look. and even missed afew parts with the spray gun to add even more of the barn find look. but every one who see`s the sammio is still blown away by it.
Old 27th May 2012, 17:57

Mine will have the aged look too so I am not too precious about the paint job.

I have just been round it with a close inspection and found three more very small blisted which I got a pin to and I have marked them on a photo so I know what to do next year! I am just going ot paint the hump as that was really bad, and then get it on the road to enjoy it. There will be many other things I will have to tinker with I am sure, so a few small blisters are the least of my worries!

As you say Mulberry, everyone is interested in what it is rather than giving it a concours inspection! I just want to drive it and enjoy it in the nice weather!!!!!!
Old 27th May 2012, 19:36

Roadster is on a distinguished road

I have had blisters too but its taking me so long to paint it i just dig it out refill and re primer - i think ive got them all now

I keep trying for perfection with the body and paint but i too think im missing the point - i have been so envious as i see all the sports cars and specials out in this weather

Perhaps its time to say it is what it is and get out there and enjoy it before the summer ends
Old 27th May 2012, 20:03

davecymru is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrtone View Post
, everyone is interested in what it is rather than giving it a concours inspection! :
You couldn't be more right! But i didn't "get" that until only recently as i was hung-up on my paint job not being concours.

That said, i know there are members on here who will want it perfect and will want to be able to put it in a show hall under bright lights and be proud of every mm of it. and REALLY good-on them! We're all different and we all want different things out of these projects and i know that i will probably re-do bits of mine at some point, but until then i no longer feel "guilty" about it not being perfect

A good example was this afternoon coming through Cheddar Gorge. The fact that i was getting more looks than the gent in the Aston (new style one, which one i'm not too sure as they're all blending into one, even for me!) made me smile and even the driver of the Aston was having a nosey to try and figure out what i was!