Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 16th October 2015, 23:31
Enthusiast

jeremy is on a distinguished road
Default big brakes

I, like many builders have fitted the dual servo kit that Mike supplied, and a tremendous asset it has proved to be. I have went a little further in terms of breaking this week . with the addition of bigger brakes and discs. I have my sportster as an E30 kit, which has 265mm brake discs. but I have and e36 m50 engine in it, with a few modified extra horses! I came across this site on the web https://sites.google.com/site/e30brakesolutions/home
I thought this looked like a good budget way to attempt this and so the adaptor mounting brackets with bolts, and brake hoses adaptors, flew there way across the atlantic for about £50-£60. I purchased the RX7 Fc 4 pots on ebay for £70, and rebuild seal kit for £20, and grooved/drilled discs for £70 [MTEC ebay], and my local engineers took 1mm off the centre bore for £20. It took about 1 hour to do both sides. Alas I tried to upload the pics, but after got a message to say a security token was needed,,,any ideas?? I have edited this as I hope some fotos from flickr are able to be seen at https://www.flickr.com/photos/78885582@N04/?

Last edited by jeremy; 18th October 2015 at 11:45.. Reason: fotos uploiaded
Available from eBay
Old 18th October 2015, 17:46
Enthusiast

Default Flickrpics

Found and posted some pics on the link on the big brakes thread
Old 19th October 2015, 11:08
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
I, like many builders have fitted the dual servo kit that Mike supplied, and a tremendous asset it has proved to be. I have went a little further in terms of breaking this week . with the addition of bigger brakes and discs. I have my sportster as an E30 kit, which has 265mm brake discs. but I have and e36 m50 engine in it, with a few modified extra horses! I came across this site on the web https://sites.google.com/site/e30brakesolutions/home
I thought this looked like a good budget way to attempt this and so the adaptor mounting brackets with bolts, and brake hoses adaptors, flew there way across the atlantic for about £50-£60. I purchased the RX7 Fc 4 pots on ebay for £70, and rebuild seal kit for £20, and grooved/drilled discs for £70 [MTEC ebay], and my local engineers took 1mm off the centre bore for £20. It took about 1 hour to do both sides. Alas I tried to upload the pics, but after got a message to say a security token was needed,,,any ideas?? I have edited this as I hope some fotos from flickr are able to be seen at https://www.flickr.com/photos/78885582@N04/?
That looks like a really neat, and cost effective, brake upgrade: a real bargain compared to the big brake kits on offer.

Have you driven it to know what kind of difference it makes?
Will you need to change the master cylinder to accommodate the extra volume of the 4 pots?
Old 19th October 2015, 12:56
Enthusiast

Default Brakes

Hi mike, I haven't bled them yet to try them out. I have planned in improving the front mudguard stability, and as it's been a while since I worked on the car, I want to recheck the servo striker pin integrity into the master cylinder, and reckeck the angle the servo rod meets my brake pedal. I hope the master cylinder will suffice - it is the Sierra type. I know some if the mathematicians on the forum may shed light on this- I can only judge by a test drive. Hopefully nearing completion, but I know this car has been modified more than Katie price/Jordan along the way(hopefully for the better) !!!!!!
Old 19th October 2015, 19:02
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road

Don't forget to fit a reasonable brake pedal return spring as well, otherwise you may end up with sticking brakes.
The one for a landrover is fine, and only cost £2.19 on ebay.

Good luck with IVA - let us know when you get a date set.

Babies - eh? Did you ever think they could take up so much of your time??!!
Old 30th November 2015, 11:29
Enthusiast

GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road

How much further 'above' the disc do the new callipers sit, Jeremy? I've seen this as an option on the e30 forums, and wondered if they'd still fit under 'normal' BMW wheels... and hence my new wheels.
Old 6th April 2016, 14:14
Enthusiast

Default Big brakes

Goo, I just saw ur question, so I will measure and post a picture in Flickr.i have since found a slight problem,- it wound seem the offset of the disc on the hub is different, and brings the disc very cl0se to the lower ball joint for the steering rack- will it pass IVA and cud the seal melt?cud an e30 builder post a comparitve picture? Thanks
https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/78885582@N04/25666588874/

Last edited by jeremy; 6th April 2016 at 14:51.. Reason: Link
Old 6th April 2016, 17:32
Enthusiast

Default Big brakes

Goo, there is a minimum 35mm clearance between the caliper and the rim- I have 17s fitted
https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/78885582@N04/
Old 19th April 2016, 22:53
Enthusiast

GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road

Hi Jeremy - thanks for the pics.

No idea on the Iva front... But it does look uncomfortably close to the lower ball joint. Have you spoken to your test centre about it? They should be able to advise if there's nothing specific in the Iva manual.
Old 23rd April 2016, 08:06
Enthusiast

Default Big brakes

I am currently working on a solution to offset the disc and called by 10 -15mm, will keep you posted
Old 11th October 2016, 08:27
Enthusiast

Default Brakes sorted

i started a threat under big brakes a while ago.i have e30 4/100 off hubs.i have used Mazda rx7 fc turbo 4 pot calipers and Volkswagen correct g60 discs.ihave adapter brackets for this kit, but found the disc offset brought the inner part of the disc too close to the lower steering joint.I had to offset everything by another 10mm outward bound, and the only way to do this was to make a spacer, mirror image of the hub and bolt it too the hub.i then made new mounting caliper brackets to match.i have posted these on my Flickr page, link to follow, I have also fully scaled drawings of what I left to the engineering works, and he offered me a job for the accuracy- your more than welcome to a copy.
Regards jeremy

Last edited by jeremy; 11th October 2016 at 08:29.. Reason: Addition of Flickr link
Old 11th October 2016, 08:30
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
i started a threat under big brakes a while ago.i have e30 4/100 off hubs.i have used Mazda rx7 fc turbo 4 pot calipers and Volkswagen correct g60 discs.ihave adapter brackets for this kit, but found the disc offset brought the inner part of the disc too close to the lower steering joint.I had to offset everything by another 10mm outward bound, and the only way to do this was to make a spacer, mirror image of the hub and bolt it too the hub.i then made new mounting caliper brackets to match.i have posted these on my Flickr page, link to follow, I have also fully scaled drawings of what I left to the engineering works, and he offered me a job for the accuracy- your more than welcome to a copy.
Regards jeremy
https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/78885582@N04/