Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 15th August 2006, 09:37
Enthusiast

GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road
Default Chassis and Bodywork

Well, I'm at the point where I can't put it off any longer - I'm going to have to order the chassis, as I'm running out of things to clean.

The thing is, what, exactly, do I need to be ordering first? Should I order just the first module, or is there anything else I need to be thinking about? The new Marlin price list mentions Highly recommended extras, and some other bits with each module - what did you chaps get?

Also, is the bodywork alignment service worth it? Wouldn't I have to get all of the bodywork at the same time as the chassis, so marlin can mount it and get it all lined up? Or am I missing something?

Cheers,

Jason (GOO)
Available from eBay
Old 15th August 2006, 09:54
Enthusiast

limpabit is on a distinguished road

Not sure about the Sportster but the 5EXI needs the body fitted when it's on it's wheels I would say. But Marlin do the alignment service. Just means getting the car there.
Old 16th August 2006, 13:59
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

I tried to buy all the kits in one go. But when we got down there most of packs 3 and bits of the others were ready yet.

There are lots bits not in the kits. Such as ball joints, track rod ends, new servo/master cylinder, radiator, pipe work for the engine to mention a few off the top of my head. Have a long conversation with Terry on what bits are in the kit and what bits arnt to make sure!

I think its good to get kit 1 & 2 at the same time then you can make sure things lined up with the body work and that there is space for everything!
Old 16th August 2006, 20:55
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Hi Jason,
I just bought the chassis and have been buying the other parts as I go along.
The advantage of this is a) cashflow and b) not having parts lying around that you may not need untill later in the build.The build has taken me far longer than I expected and there is a lot more work figuring out where to put things, drilling holes and making up special little brackets not supplied by Marlin.
I had no experience of kit car building before I started and expected a more of a complete kit that just bolted together. Marlin don't give any specific instructions for a lot of items and leave it up to your own imagination/ innovation to come up with solutions. This is not what I epxected but is in fact a lot more statisfying because I like the challenge of solving the problems and the thought that it really will be a car that I built, and not just assembled.

The downside is that I have wasted some money by buying the wrong parts (e.g. Radiator). You will find that you will, in fact, need everything, at least, on Terry's price list and some more!

All the so called "Highly recommended Optional Extra's" are 100% absolutely essential. You just can't make any progress without them.
The "Additional Optional Extra's" are also 90% essentail. The only thing optional is whether you buy them from Marlin or not!
All the BMW parts I got from KMS or GSF but be careful, if you don't buy from Terry because you may end up with the wrong bits. (My garage is litterd with bits i've bought from eBay or autojumbles only to find they were not quite right.)
Here are some clues and advice:
Brake master and slave cylinders/calipers are all standard BMW
Brake Servo is fom a BL metro
Clutch master and slave cylinder are standard BMW
Fuel pumps are Sytec(high) and Facet Red Top(low) but Marlin's prices are pretty good
Propshaft Marlin special
Steering rack - Marlin modified
Fuel tank - Marlin specail
Radiator is a BMW design from an early 3 series and NOT the more common version fitted to 320 and 325's
Wiring loom - bought mine from Marlin but it was a Premier Wiring standard loom
Heater is from a late BL Mini.

I could go on and on.

You should use the whole price list as a checklist of what you need and for each and every item decide if you are going to buy it from either Marlin or somehwere else. There are only a few things you don't need in the end.

I think between Staurt, Patrick, Robin and myself we have most parts worked out. (we all have different exhaust systems!)
So anything your not sure about just ask, and you'll get four diffrent answers! (just joking)

Go on get that cheque book out and order the chassis. (Mine was on a 9 month waiting list when i ordered!)

I supect having the body fitted is a good idea, because Marlin have the experience but you do need to order all the Modules together and store all the body parts somewhere while you build the chassis, etc.

ATB

Peter
Old 18th August 2006, 20:40
Enthusiast

AndyDane is on a distinguished road

Proptech in Hartlebury do the propshafts for Marlin I believe. I picked them because they're local to me and were happy to do it and knew exactly what a marlin sportster was!