Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 30th August 2013, 23:06

tlrtone is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
Whey hey ...!!!
Rear hubs out at last. Boy do they make a "crack" !!
Yep, a BIG piece of scaffold pole .... wind it up ... and eventually .. they crack.
Pictures to follow .... promise; as I build up the rear end. I'm sooooooo pleased, Thanks Tony; I'll get the puller back to your brother's soon ... p'raps we can meet up for a beer
Keep the faith ..
Slarti
Now you can see why the puller is such a big lump of metal!

Glad you got it sorted
Old 1st September 2013, 20:05

slartibartfast is on a distinguished road

Yep .... Muriel the Morris is in pretty good shape for a 47 year old!
Couple of years ago I put a new Charles Ware engine in... cheaper than having the old one rebored & crank reground. Still a 1098 cc otherwise I would have to consider beefing up the brakes and perhaps changing the gearbox.
Available for wedding hire within 20 miles of Haslemere Reasonable rates for Sammio/Ribble owners/builders
Old 1st September 2013, 20:24

With the rear hubs off I can at last strip down the bearings & replace them. The main bearing also took a bit of a pull, but soon yielded under a 3 legged puller. All de-greased, pressure hosed and ready for a rub down and repaint with trusty Hammerite.
Chap I know with a small engineering works has made me up a lowering block & I should start to rebuild the back end this week. More photos to follow.
Anyone going to Goodwood Revival? ..... I'll be there all 3 days as one of the actors (dharling !!!!).. this year I'm one of the spivs .... let me know if you are there and perhaps we can meet up.
Tony: PM me with some dates you plan to go to your brother's ... be good to meet and discuss all things "petrol head" over a beer.
Cheers
Paul (aka Slarti)

Old 1st September 2013, 21:03

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

I'm at Goodwood on the Friday and Saturday, I'll be driving down on Thursday in my Spyder. Hopefully see you there.
Old 3rd September 2013, 20:35

Default Goodwood Revival

Mr T ... be great to meet up. I'm SOoooo looking forward to meeting 602 ... and of course picking your brains and getting loads of tips. I must say, once again, 602 is a beautiful looking lady ... & just right for popping down to Tesco's & picking up a case (?) of bubbly.
I'll PM you with my home & mobile number & p'raps we can have a chat about meeting up.
ATB
Slarti
Old 3rd September 2013, 21:31

Quote:
Mr T ... be great to meet up. I'm SOoooo looking forward to meeting 602 ... and of course picking your brains and getting loads of tips. I must say, once again, 602 is a beautiful looking lady ... & just right for popping down to Tesco's & picking up a case (?) of bubbly.
I'll PM you with my home & mobile number & p'raps we can have a chat about meeting up.
ATB
Slarti
Got your pm, will give you a call.
Old 8th September 2013, 19:41

Default Starting to rebuild .....

It seems to have been a long time coming but at last I am starting to put things back together instead if taking them appart. Going to be busy this week so won't have much time to work on the Sammio .... and of course Revival next week end and I have to be on site at 6:30 ,
Never mind, hope to meet up with some of you and get some ideas.
See you soon.
More pictures to follow idc:
Slarti

Old 8th September 2013, 21:11

tlrtone is on a distinguished road

Every little bit is another step forward!

Get the wheels on and it starts to feel like you've made REAL progress!

T
Old 9th September 2013, 09:55

Thanks for your support Tony (and the loan of your hub-puller)
Your Miglia Speedster is certainly taking shape. Looks very aggressive. What colour this time?
Cheers
Slarti
Old 22nd September 2013, 18:27

Default More advice required ...

Not much got done again this week end as I has to straighten out a little bend on our oldest daughter's car ..... at this rate it could take 5 years or more to complete the Sammio ...
However, got a fair way in building up the rear suspension. Slight problem. The shockers aren't long enough .... I bought standard ones but as you can see from the picture they are just a little too short and I don't want to strain them. couple of questions: will they be long enough once the body goes on and there's a bit of weight on top or should I 1) get longer shockers or 2) remove the top 3 leaves on the spring?.
Cheers
Slarti

Old 22nd September 2013, 21:07

Viatron is on a distinguished road

Bearing in mind they are at full droop i think those shocks will be fine by the time its on the ground with the weight of the body on, not sure you can even get a shorter rear shock anyway, others may know different though.
Mac
Old 23rd September 2013, 08:34

You shouldn't find the standard shocks to be a problem, just lift the hub until the bolt holes line up.

You might find the ride a bit hard with a full spring stack fitted though. I initially took out the three loose leaves and got very firm rear suspension - perfect for track use but too hard for the road. I've now removed the next stack of leaves too and the ride is much more supple, allowing faster progress on the road without the wheels hopping off the tarmac.

It's all trial and error though, so good luck finding a suspension setup that you like
Old 23rd September 2013, 20:38

Thank you Mac, thank you Towed ... will remove a few leaves and put a bit of weight on it. Ordered new wheel cylinders & fitting kits from Canleys. Should get the back end finally rebuilt next week end. Then I can turn it round and start on the front suspension. Watch this space.
Towed ... I see you had another change to get 602 out with some "friends" ..
Have you got all the Goodwood mud off yet
Old 24th September 2013, 09:29

Quote:
Thank you Mac, thank you Towed ... will remove a few leaves and put a bit of weight on it. Ordered new wheel cylinders & fitting kits from Canleys. Should get the back end finally rebuilt next week end. Then I can turn it round and start on the front suspension. Watch this space.
Towed ... I see you had another change to get 602 out with some "friends" ..
Have you got all the Goodwood mud off yet
Mud still appearing in all nooks and crannies, but should shake some of it off on the run to Snetterton on Sunday.

May or may not have the secondary radiator fitted by then, it arrived yesterday and I'm aiming to make the mountings over the next day or so. Just waiting for seven metres of 32mm hose to arrive so I can plumb it in. Side exit exhaust will also be going in over the next couple of days.

Good luck getting your rear suspension rebuilt, work so far looking top quality.
Old 24th September 2013, 11:33

Whatever you do don't order the shoe hold down kit from Canleys, the quality is rubbish, even worse when i called up to politely inform they of the fact there answer was "we know but its all we can get!"
Call WH Classic Motor Spares on 01952 605115, they still have the original Girling parts in stock (as of 10 minute ago, i called and checked) SP1006 £8.50 + £1 p&p, more than the chinese knock offs but worth every penny.
Old 24th September 2013, 12:54

Default Shoe hold down kit

Oh dear Viatron ..... thanks for that. I had best give Canleys a call as I've already ordered this item. Will update here when I have some news.
Slarti
Old 24th September 2013, 14:12

I would cancel if you can, the springs in the Canleys kit are too long and too hard, this combined with the twist lock being made of chocolate gave me hours of fun chasing pinging little parts all over the workshop. The kit above took about 2 minutes a side..... Draw your own conclusion
Mac
Old 25th September 2013, 10:21

Thanks Viatron
I've now cancelled the shoe retaining set with Canleys and reordered through WH Classis as suggested. I'll post some photos when the stuff arrives to help others.
Thanks for your advice.
Slarti
Old 28th September 2013, 16:43

Default Rear Brakes!

Retaining clips/springs arrived and I've at last rebuilt one side & drum is back on. Thanks Viatron, they certainly were easy to put on.
Have removed the top four leaves on the spring ... didn't need the extra long studs after all ... The shockers now fit easier.
Tomorrow I should be able to get the rear end all back together & have the Old Girl staning on her own back wheels again. Then I can ter her around & start on the front. That is all IF the current wife doesn't have other ideas
More photos to follow
Slarti

Old 28th September 2013, 20:25

Nice one, I should have let you try the Canleys one first then you would have really appreciated them :-)
Looking good