Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 18th September 2018, 21:05

Nostromo is on a distinguished road

Funnily enough, I expect been waiting for one of you two to come up with the answer to that. Yes, Mick did say about using a relay. I believe a 4 point relay to be exact but how this is wired up I don't know. I've not really put too much effort into finding the answer yet.
Old 19th September 2018, 08:32

wozzy is on a distinguished road

If you get this sorted please let me know as i am starting a new build shortly
so have it all to do again
Old 19th September 2018, 19:36

SwiftyDS is on a distinguished road

I managed to spend some time today with the meter on the dim and dip (low and high) beam circuits on the MR2. Remember mine is a facelift model so already head separate bulbs with separate +ve and -ve for each beam. Nostromo I think you might have an easier time here if yours is a pre-facelift as they should have had a single H4 type connector for the original MR2 lights if I recall.

IGNORE FROM HERE ON AND READ THE NEXT POST BELOW ... AS ALWAYS SIMPLER IS BETTER !!!

Anyway, the issue is that for the facelift MR2 you need to somehow switch the -ve connection depending on whether you have dim or dip setting on the stalk (or you are flashing dip). After looking online I believe the way to do this is with a changeover relay that in normal state (unenergised) has the dim (low) beam -ve but when it is energised (with the dip/high beam circuit) it switches to the dip (high) beam -ve.

Not sure I’ve got this 100% correct and I have a couple of changeover relays in the post to me tonight, but I having managed to test this manually by changing the connections on the fly and testing it seems to work, so long as I’ve got my theory right on how the changeover relay works. Now the challenge here and going back to what Retro200 said, the changeover relay is 5 pin not 4 pin so this may all be way wrong.

Here’s a picture (apologies for how poor this looks but it was just a quick sketch on the iPad) showing how this should work in practice ....

http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/foru...pictureid=1258

I will come back to you all once the relays have arrived.

Er... just looked again at wiring diagram, and I think this will work but when on main beam the low/dim circuit will be active as well. I’ve checked and I don’t think this is a MOT failure although won’t be great for heat in the bulb/lamp housing and will probably burn the bulb out quickly. To over come this a second changeover relay would be needed I believe to switch off the dim/low power when the high power circuit is on.

Last edited by SwiftyDS; 19th September 2018 at 20:02..
Old 19th September 2018, 20:01

Took a step back and think I’m over engineering this. As the issue is that both high and low circuits are active when using either earth (when it comes to connecting either earth to the H4 block) a much simpler solution is below ... but I need to go to the garage and test it. Also fits with Retro200 approach of using 4 pin relay.

Rather than connect the +ve for the high beam straight to the H4 block (whereby it’s active using the -ve from either circuit) route it via a standard 4 pin make or break relay which is activated by the high beam circuit itself. I believe that this means both high and low filaments are lit on the bulb in high beam operation which will have the same issue as previous reply.

http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/foru...pictureid=1259

I’ve got a couple of these relays already so will give this a go first.
Old 19th September 2018, 23:19

Rock and roll, looks good to me! Hopefully this'll work. Mines a facelift too so I'm facing the same problem as you Dave. I'll get myself a couple of relays tomorrow.
Old 20th September 2018, 08:12

I also checked the MOT regs last night and it’s OK if you light low beam at the same time as high beam so that will be fine come test time. As I said though if you do lots of driving on full beam the bulb and housing will get very hot.

I should get round to testing this later today so will let everyone know if it works out OK.
Old 20th September 2018, 12:08

Quick update .... just fitted relay to one side and it works! Hurrah - let me know if it helps to do a better wiring diagram than the one I sketched last night and I will put this up on my build thread.

I realised as I was wiring the relay up that my H4 connector wiring was wrong on the diagram I posted last night. Low beam is the top and high beam is the side pin opposite the negative (I’d shown high beam as being on the top of the plug/connector).

Wozzy - are you building another for yourself ?

Last edited by SwiftyDS; 20th September 2018 at 13:19..
Old 20th September 2018, 14:01

Great news!! I'll have a go at that next time I manage to get out to play with the car for a bit... not that I can test it, it's had a flat battery for about 4 months now.

Last edited by Nostromo; 20th September 2018 at 16:53..
Old 20th September 2018, 20:42

[QUOTE
Wozzy - are you building another for yourself ?[/QUOTE]
yes mate ,i have two at the moment one to do a bit different than before, and i have just bought project Badrep off nick so i will complete that aswell
Old 20th September 2018, 21:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by wozzy View Post
[QUOTE
Wozzy - are you building another for yourself ?
yes mate ,i have two at the moment one to do a bit different than before, and i have just bought project Badrep off nick so i will complete that aswell[/QUOTE]

Nick made a fantastic start on that with all the 3d printed bits and the Volvo engine. That one'll be a bit of a weapon.
Old 21st September 2018, 08:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostromo View Post
yes mate ,i have two at the moment one to do a bit different than before, and i have just bought project Badrep off nick so i will complete that aswell
Nick made a fantastic start on that with all the 3d printed bits and the Volvo engine. That one'll be a bit of a weapon.[/QUOTE]
Its got a 2zz in it now
Old 30th September 2018, 21:47

So I decided to spray bits of my rear end (oo er) so that I could get a better idea of the lumps and bumps that need rubbing down and/or filling. Then I got a bit carried away and did the whole thing...

I'm actually really pleased with how it's come out although there's definitely a few patches that need attention. However, what I can now do is wire up the front and rear lights and see if I can get it MOT'd!!

Last edited by Nostromo; 30th September 2018 at 21:50..
Old 1st October 2018, 12:13

With it in the car

Old 1st October 2018, 13:23

Hey Nick - looks like you are nearly there! Love the Matt black look.

Let us know how you get on with your MOT when you’re there - I’m a bit concerned about headlamp alignment on mine. Tried to get them as close as I can and I’ve got some adjustment left with the Golf adjustment screws.
Old 1st October 2018, 17:32

One of my friends will be doing the mot so I'm hoping he'll allow me some time while I'm there to use his alignment thingy as I suspect my headlights will be aiming all over the joint!
Old 1st October 2018, 17:33

I may have just ordered a proper exhaust as well. Same as yours Swifty as it popped up on eBay!
Old 1st October 2018, 19:13

Hope you managed to get it - I’ve not really been able to test mine out apart from starting the car on the drive to keep the engine turned over every couple of weeks. It does sound nice above 3.5k revs and it’s quite throaty at idle. Oh and it looks great through the rear window looking down and from what you can see from the rear of the clam
Old 1st October 2018, 20:42

Yeah I got it and looking forward to getting it on the car. It's another step to getting it on the road. I do still have a few bits to sort out before I can get it booked in but am spending as much of my free time on it as possible. Hopefully getting a new battery for it tomorrow so I'll be able to get it out the garage!
Old 5th October 2018, 19:19

Nice new exhaust as the other one is just a bit too much hassle for the moment. Must learn to weld.

Old 9th October 2018, 18:10

Fitted