Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Italian Replica builds and chat

Italian Replica builds and chat Lamborghini, Ferrari, Lancia, any Italian replica car build and chat

Old 8th January 2015, 16:47

Kit 275GTB is on a distinguished road
Default door glass

Interesting video Neil, I thought a tube bender would just kink the U section. I would probably do the top corner bend separately and cut out enough to weld in place, the upright is bent the other way but much more gently. I am still wondering whether to keep the original Z3 glass (which is self supporting) and make the door aperture to fit the large radius rear edge curve like the hard top. Any opinions?
Old 8th January 2015, 18:50

Egdik is on a distinguished road
Default GTB by Simpson usa

Some time ago I came across Simpson design in the States and here is a photo of their GTB interpretation on an MX5 base car. A Z3 conversion will be more realistic.

mx5 GTB simpson design.jpg
Old 9th January 2015, 08:46

I was alerted to Simpson Design by the post on "Geoffs 250GTO thread" but I missed this photo when looking at their website. Using the MX5 as a base car imposes the same basket of compromises that I have faced with my 275/Z3 design but is less appropriate for this country than using the Z3 as a base because of the IVA rules and also the engine is limited to 1800cc whereas those who want more power can go for the 2.0, 2.2, 2.8, 3.0 or even the MTech 3.2 version of the Z3.
I see that they have retained the MX5 screen and door glass (and handle). They have lost two of the side vents and got the wrong shape for the side light and indicator. Overall a very nice update of the MX5 but is it a good imitation of the 275GTB? Egdik prefers to retain the 275GTB squared off shape with a new rear and top frame for the side window but my present inclination is to retain the Z3 glass for ease of manufacture (I can modify the fibreglass to suit either shape).
Old 9th January 2015, 15:44

Through the forum I jumped to the Italian Replica Car Club site and found this interesting info:
"Please look at the www.dft.gov.uk/dvla/vehicles.aspx (CHANGED TO https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration) website in section Motoring/ Registering a rebuilt vehicle, kit car and kit conversion - section kit conversions.

This has changed to include body kit conversions, and affects all body kit conversions finished or future builds, on unaltered chassis or monocoque bodyshells, if the general appearance of the vehicle has changed. For example F355,F40,F360,F430,Dino on Toyota MR2 or Ford Cougar - 250 GTO on Porsche or Datson - 308,F40,Testarossa on Pontiac Fiero - Dino, 250LM on VW Beetle

I have a received a reply to a number of questions I asked the DVLA in an email, which I can forward it to anyone who requests it. In short it says:

1. If the body kit fitted alters the general appearance, and the monocoque bodyshell or chassis has not been cut into, then the V5 should be sent to the DVLA with a covering letter detailing the changes , pictures of the finished car, and of the build if you have built it , and copies of any receipts you have. They will then amend the V5 under model to reflect the altered appearance, but not the Manufacturer.

2. If the monocoque bodyshell or chassis has been cut then it will have to have an IVA to register the vehicle.

3. All local DVLA offices are closing in the near future and I am informed that any inspections of vehicles to determine if IVA is required , will be done at a MOT testing staion.

The DVLA has not indicated what the price for this might be."
Old 10th January 2015, 10:15

Default IVA definitive reply

I have received this email from Roy Kelly, chairman of the Italian Replica Club.

I will be taking delivery of a Z3 next week and stripping it down. I will then try the panels I have made and check the cut and paste I will have to do with the real thing rather than bits of paper!
Attached Files
File Type: doc Italianreplicaclub email.doc (11.0 KB, 89 views)
Old 10th January 2015, 11:52

NeilF355 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit 275GTB View Post
I am still wondering whether to keep the original Z3 glass (which is self supporting) and make the door aperture to fit the large radius rear edge curve like the hard top. Any opinions?
In my opinion it would be a lot easier to keep original glass and alter the door aperture to take the glass.

Have you considered using the door glass from the Z3 coupe, the doors themselves look the same so, with luck, it could be a straight swap. It doesn't have the curve on the rear edge so it looks more like the 275 GTB glass.
Old 10th January 2015, 17:07

Yes Neil, but Z3 coupes are very rare. I have not found a manufacturer or stockist of door glass.
Old 11th January 2015, 11:19

NeilF355 is on a distinguished road

Not sure where you are in the UK but there is this on ebay at the moment, collection only. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1415333892...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Also Plastics4Performance will manufacture a Lexan replacement door window for the Z3 but as they are for racing they are a bit pricey (circa £90 each). http://www.plastics4performance.com/...or-window.html
Old 11th January 2015, 19:15

Thanks Neil, I have already put in a bid. It is about 50 miles from me.
George
Old 12th January 2015, 09:48

Default Don't deal with 1st Choice Cars in Hockley

I won't be taking delivery of my Z3 today as they sold it on Saturday to someone else!
Old 13th January 2015, 19:19

Tribute Automotive is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I won't be taking delivery of my Z3 today as they sold it on Saturday to someone else!
Hi George

I had the same problem last week with a trader selling an MR2 to someone else after agreeing that he would sell it to me, for full asking price too!

January is a good time to buy a convertible, another will be along soon I'm sure.

I bought a ready stripped rolling Z3 shell from a breakers for very little, really useful for doing development work on. Just a thought.

Last edited by Tribute Automotive; 13th January 2015 at 19:22..
Old 14th January 2015, 08:49

Default "A man's word is his bond"

... unless he is a second hand car dealer it seems, sorry you had the same experience. I must say I was a bit unsettled when talking to him on the phone, which is why I phoned him again before setting out. It has cost me a train ticket and insurance premium so I am a bit sore. Better luck next time!
I considered buying a shell when one was advertised on Ebay a while back but I need to see how the panels are fitted and various things like hinges so I will be buying a runner.

Last edited by Kit 275GTB; 14th January 2015 at 09:21..
Old 14th January 2015, 23:14

Tribute Automotive is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I considered buying a shell when one was advertised on Ebay a while back but I need to see how the panels are fitted and various things like hinges so I will be buying a runner.
It is good to have everything in place on the car to check clearances if you don't have another Z3 to hand for reference.

I have found another MR2, fingers crossed it will still be there when I go to collect. Maybe even paying a deposit doesn't mean anything nowadays?
Old 21st January 2015, 12:24

Default DVLA and taxing problems

I have found another Z3 and negotiated a sale but just before going to pick it up I found it was recorded as a total loss! The present owner had received a cash settlement from the other driver's insurance after being hit while parked (after advertising the car) and they had wrongly put a total loss marker against it but admitted their error and removed it, but too late for me to travel and collect it. They have offered to re-imburse me for my expenses (amazing!)
The other part of the story is the appalling new DVLA online taxing system which does not recognise that a vehicle is SORNED when you re-tax it and insists that you pay all the back tax. The new owner normally has to pay for a whole month and the seller only gets back any unused WHOLE months - nice little earner for the Government! I decided that I would wait to the 1st of next month (which happens to be a Sunday) to collect but you can't pay for tax in advance and it still insists you pay for the whole month and when it runs into any difficulty it says go to your nearest Post office (on a Sunday?). What a mess! I spoke to my local Postmaster and he said yes it is a mess but keep all the documents with you when you travel and come to me on the Monday. If I get stopped or flashed I MAY get off with a warning.
Old 9th February 2015, 12:38

Z3 2.8 now in my workshop and panels being "cut and pasted" according to my design concepts. I will post some photos when I have something to show.
Old 15th March 2015, 11:57

Default Progress

I have managed to strip my Z3 but Haynes manual doesn't tell you "do this first" and misses some vital bolts that you can only find when the panel doesn't move. I have taken pictures of progress and will put some text together to help anyone else in the same boat.

Did someone post a comment about Ferraris having a happy face?

I am now offering up panels to see how they have to be modified to fit. These panels are held in place with sticky tape to give me an idea how it looks.

Old 15th March 2015, 12:53

Egdik is on a distinguished road
Default Progress

It is good to see some progress and it is beginning to look in reasonable proportion.

The wheel arches appear to be much as you anticipated, with the forward movement of the front and rear sections: how many inches ?

Tell us more please.
Old 15th March 2015, 14:29

Default Wheel arches

No this shows the wheel arches in their proper place on the panels. I made some arches and tried them with the nose section moved forward but it looked wrong. I will post some pics later.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3318a.jpg (81.9 KB, 88 views)

Last edited by Kit 275GTB; 16th March 2015 at 09:26.. Reason: added pic
Old 15th March 2015, 22:01

A3lX is on a distinguished road

Looks good mate keep up the good work
Old 22nd March 2015, 10:38

jones is on a distinguished road

How's this progressing? Looks a really interesting project