Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 12th June 2012, 19:09

GazDavies is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Towed View Post
Thanks for the tip. I'm planning to run a full layer of bonding paste under the frame base, do you think that will stop it cracking?
No, that is what I did. I think it would have to be blended in using something that could flex to avoid cracking but don't think that would paint too well. An option could be to blend in the surround but put something that could flex between surround and screen to absorb any knocks. Don't know of it would work but you could try it before blending the surround in by putting it in place and giving the screen a gentle wiggle to see if there is any movement at the corner of the screen base.
Old 12th June 2012, 20:16

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Was it the filler that cracked then? If so, does that mean I could still bond the frame down so long as I don't blend it into the body?
Old 12th June 2012, 20:19

GazDavies is on a distinguished road

Yes it was the filler that cracked. Bonding the frame onto the body isnt a problem, just the blending of it into the body.
Old 12th June 2012, 20:24

Ahh, now I get it. Guess I'll have to spend a few hours dressing the edges of the screen base so it doesn't look like such a Friday afternoon job then.
Old 13th June 2012, 18:08

Spent a couple of hours tinkering with the dashboard today. First cut it down at the ends and cut the holes for the gauges so I could see if there were going to be any clearance issues -

I needed to cut a little of the original edge off the top of the body and was prepared to modify the frame to clear the backs of the instruments where necessary. As it happens, I was able to trial fit all three main gauges and the oil pressure gauge in suitable positions without having to chop the frame about -

The angle of the GT6 speedo is determined by the frame fouling the threaded mounting rod on the back with it upright. I'm not worried about that though as with it the way it is the driver has a clear view of the 30 to 70mph range. The Vitesse rev counter fits at any angle but I rather like it with the red line uppermost, while the Herald fuel/temperature gauge can clearly be seen by the driver and contains the useful warning lights for the indicators and main beam. I'm not too sure about the oil pressure gauge where it is though. I may move it under the dash and leave a smooth centre panel.

I'm hoping to have the other end lined up, the gap filled and the whole thing bonded down by close of play tomorrow -

Once that's done I'll be ready to bond the body down. Scary...
Old 13th June 2012, 18:16

Alpha is on a distinguished road

How about the rev counter in the middle position for the real race car look?

Baz from Brussels
Old 13th June 2012, 18:23

mulberry is on a distinguished road

towed, i think if you replaced your oil, to a matching smiths clock like your rev&speedo, and maybe add an amp meter and water meter next to it you get great look. i love the dash pod and clocks looks like a "healey dash"
Old 13th June 2012, 18:26

Yes, I'd have liked the rev counter in the middle. Unfortunately, there's nowhere near enough clearance to put either the rev counter or speedo there. If you take a look at the first picture you'll see that the brace for the steering column is directly behind the centre hole. I could probably have modified the frame to get the rev counter there, but it would have been a bit of a nightmare job and could have weakened the structure.

I'm quite happy to have the temperature gauge as the most prominent instrument anyway seeing as how I've built my own cooling system...

Additionally, as Jeremy Clarkson pointed out on Top Gear recently when declaring Lancia as the most successful manufacturer of sporting cars, in the world, Porsche put their rev counter right in front of the driver. Lancia put the oil pressure gauge right in front of their driver...
Old 13th June 2012, 18:29

mulberry is on a distinguished road

ah that makes me the most succesfull sammio builder then " clarkson" cuz ive put my oil pressure right in front my eyes tooo..." just luck i reckon ha ha"
Old 13th June 2012, 18:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulberry View Post
towed, i think if you replaced your oil, to a matching smiths clock like your rev&speedo, and maybe add an amp meter and water meter next to it you get great look. i love the dash pod and clocks looks like a "healey dash"
Thanks Mulberry, glad you like the dash. I'm trying for a simple, uncluttered look so will be sticking with the three gauges as they are. I'm only fitting an oil pressure gauge on the advice of a friend, and had planned to have it directly ahead of the driver in the standard Sammio dash (see Clarkson's observation above). I may source a smaller one to go under the speedo in its own little panel though as I'm really not too taken with it in the middle of the dash. I'm also thinking of adding a couple of switches/push buttons to fill the voids diagonally above the speedo and rev counter.
Old 13th June 2012, 19:27

Roadster is on a distinguished road

great job towed - it looks really authentic
another detail to confuse any unsuspecting onlooker
Old 13th June 2012, 19:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster View Post
great job towed - it looks really authentic
another detail to confuse any unsuspecting onlooker
Cheers Roadster, glad you approve. And yes, I want it to look convincingly like a racing car built by a major manufacturer.

I've just had a play with the gauges and I think the final job will have the rev counter and speedo upright (I'll have to clearance the frame for the speedo) and a smiths oil pressure gauge to the right of the main pod as it curves round to the 'door' panel. Now, off to ebay to get a suitable gauge...
Old 13th June 2012, 19:54

oxford1360 is on a distinguished road

Looking really good.
Old 13th June 2012, 20:36

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

Told you it would fit .....

looks great Towed , as you have said , production styling ...as Oxford1360 has pointed out ...its all in the detailing...
Old 13th June 2012, 21:10

Thanks for the positive comments guys. One thing I'd always felt could be improved on the Spyder was the dash. The basic panel supplied is plain and simple, which I usually like, but the dashboard is one of the major user interfaces on a car - along with the steering wheel, gearbox and pedals, it's the bit you actually interact with the most. I always wanted mine to feel really special when you get behind the wheel and the 550 dash just adds something as far as I'm concerned.

By the way Gary, once it's finished I wouldn't be averse to having a mould taken off it to be put into production. For the right price...
Old 13th June 2012, 22:21

Done staring at it for the night now. It's no good, I'm going to have to modify the frame to allow the three main gauges to be raised an inch or so in the pod. If I don't do that I just won't be happy with it.
Old 14th June 2012, 07:52

oxford1360 is on a distinguished road

Right choice. Otherwise you will the spend the rest of your days thinking, "I wish I'd........" It will be well worth it.
Old 14th June 2012, 17:31

That's better.
Old 14th June 2012, 19:03

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Towed View Post
That's better.
Indeed it is.

Plus it is also much closer to your original inspiration.

Great work, Paul.
Old 14th June 2012, 19:17

Thanks Paul, I'm much happier with it now. The frame wasn't that hard to modify and I've got loads of room to play with behind the dash now.