Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 19th December 2013, 20:57

zagmad is on a distinguished road

hopefully chris reads this on satdy. so was thinking maybe should put hi profile tyres on my 15's so you have wheels all round at the size of the original or at least a high profile like the ones you showed me at the visit. eg 15 with a 60% wall size. think wikipedia has the right size. then can have them changed over when the builds finished that way the ride height will be same both sides if could find out how much to have them done and I can transfer the funds. also was gonna ask would a 17 inch with an et45 fit maybe with a spacer. found some rota rb's. 17/7.5/et45 4x100
Old 20th December 2013, 09:18

Ozzie Dave is on a distinguished road

I think the car needs some full profile tyres and wheels, some 15" 5.5 wires or steels with spinners of course, not these new fangled 16" with Ultra low profile (that seem to need replacing after the first pot hole.
Old 20th December 2013, 09:24

fatbloke is on a distinguished road

Can't help but think a 2+2 like the Mk4 Astra convertible would have been a good base car for this project as it has the rear windows already fitted.

Old 20th December 2013, 09:53

The Shadow is on a distinguished road

yeh maybe. but we culd all do the 'why don't you use a such n such car' debat all day long. it was bad enugh with the rear window thing on here. I say let chris do it his way , how he sees it and how he wants it. the mx5 is his car of choice for lots of obvius reasons so there you have it. he is the man making the kit and taking a gamble with his time and money so if anyone on this forum thinks they can do it better or has better ideas then I am sure no one will objet to them having a go.
Old 20th December 2013, 10:04

pee wee is on a distinguished road

I agree with your sentiment Shadow , just not quite how you have put it across !
I think debate on styling etc is healthy . It keeps forums like this interesting. And the fact that people take the time to think about a project like this is flattering to the creator , I am sure.
I do agree that if you constantly catered for every different idea , then the kit would never be viable or profitable - which is the main factor here.
Obviously , the customer has a say in his build but I would think that design decisions would be a joint situation in that case . A combination of style and viability.

The car is looking great by the way and I can picture both traditional ands concept styles of build working equally as well.
Old 20th December 2013, 10:15

The Shadow is on a distinguished road

I no I can be a bit blunt sometimes but that's me. I just think that pretty much everyone on hear will agree that if they were involved in any kind of projhect or work practise and people kept calling in or messaging them or whateva about them changing there project that they were heavilly involved with whateva you do , a window fitter , builder , mechanic , accountent etc. you would get the hump. I notice that chris stays very quiet during most of these debaits and I wonder if that is becaus he is biting his lip sometimes.
just saying.
Old 20th December 2013, 12:30

Scottie22 is on a distinguished road

Hi Shad! I would'nt say you were blunt! You go for it mate!

I think Chris keeps quiet 'cos he's too busy working his a**se off!!
Old 20th December 2013, 15:57

heres. the thing. keep watching and you might like what you see . if I could find the right gearbox to change the high gear affect of high profile tyres I would. any ideas as to what would fit on the mx5 to allow for the larger radius. mazda mx6 has 15inch wheels with high profile tyres. not sure if can put it on an mx5 as is front wheel drive. but hanging it off the engine will need some work. just ideas. not a mechanic or engine builder. hint, hint.
Old 20th December 2013, 16:32

landmannnn is on a distinguished road

The mx5 was available with a couple of different gearboxes and as many as 4 different diff ratios.
You should by able to find a combination to suit your tyre sizes and your preferred overall gear ratio s.
Old 20th December 2013, 18:20

I suggested the Astra not as a criticism but because I have one sat in the drive and keep thinking "what could that be turned into?"
Old 20th December 2013, 18:39

scimjim is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbloke View Post
I suggested the Astra not as a criticism but because I have one sat in the drive and keep thinking "what could that be turned into?"
Iron oxide?
Old 20th December 2013, 18:54

Cruel
Old 21st December 2013, 09:09

Scottie22 is on a distinguished road
Default Zagmad

Quote:
Originally Posted by zagmad View Post
heres. the thing. keep watching and you might like what you see . if I could find the right gearbox to change the high gear affect of high profile tyres I would. any ideas as to what would fit on the mx5 to allow for the larger radius. mazda mx6 has 15inch wheels with high profile tyres. not sure if can put it on an mx5 as is front wheel drive. but hanging it off the engine will need some work. just ideas. not a mechanic or engine builder. hint, hint.
If you kept the same rolling diameter, ( larger wheels, lower profile tyres)
the wheel arches would be full, and there would be no need to change gearbox / ratios etc.

Why are you so keen to keep high profile tyres?
Old 21st December 2013, 09:30

I have the same PCD on my SS1s (but the offset of the MX5 wheels mean spacers are required) - I have a set of BMW MINI steels (FWD but I planned on banding them for the SS1) which may work very well on the MX5?

I have an MX5 in the workshop, might drop a MINI steel on and see what it looks like today?

Last edited by scimjim; 21st December 2013 at 22:15..
Old 21st December 2013, 10:08

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

Can I check what everyone hang up is with keeping the wheel size and gear box in ratio is?

Do you really rely on the speedo that much to judge you behavior when driving?

I guess there may be something in the mot but am am not certain as my local station doesn't appear to have a rolling road to test speed against speedo.

Surely you drive about the same speed as the rest of the traffic when in traffic and as fast as you fell happy doing elsewhere?
Old 21st December 2013, 10:59

landmannnn is on a distinguished road

With a relatively feeble mx5 engine the impact of overgearing will take the edge off the performance, particularly in the range up to 60 mph where we mostly drive. Less of a problem with, for example, a Z3.
Old 21st December 2013, 13:47

yep thats true as they have wheels up to 19's on. with profile tyres. whiich are the same diameter as say a set of 15's with a 60 profile like the original car it is being made in the style of in eg 50's/60's. plus the arches are quite big and the high profile tyres fill them well as does a set of 17's with a reasonable size profile. big wheels, low profile tyres and hard suspension equals broken wheels.
Old 21st December 2013, 13:49

does anyone have preference on what tailights they are going to use. led or traditional.
Old 21st December 2013, 21:05

Tribute Automotive is on a distinguished road

All valid points and opinions people.

From personal experience I was running 225/50/16 tyres on the back of my convertible and never noticed a difference in performance over the stock sized wheels. I know Seanick is running some pretty tall rear rubber, but he does have a few engine "tweaks".

If you are looking for an extreme wheel set up to compare any choices to then check this out, and no I haven't retouched these pictures:

Love it
Old 21st December 2013, 21:25

I don't think that the rolling radius is that vital, you can have your speedo recalibrated if needed (and yes, it must "be fitted and work" (not calibrated) for an MOT) - the look is much more important IMO?

The pic above is a perfect example - it's a totally different look to the original MX5 and a totally different look again to the original 250 - which probably would have been 80 or 82 profile on 15" or 16" rims (depending on year) - it's all about the rubber to wheel ratio