Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 11th May 2012, 09:48

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

You could always modify some bath taps...
Old 18th May 2012, 12:31

davecymru is on a distinguished road

Based on my experiences of driving my Spyder so-far, I decided to make a few running modifications in order to make things a bit nicer to live with.

1)
I've now changed the 4.11:1 diff to a 3.63:1 diff, so hopefully it won't be quite so Diesel-ish to drive and it'll cruise better on the motorway.

Depending on how this goes i may still change to a 3.27:1 or fit an overdrive conversion in the future, but for the time being and after talking to a lot of men with beards who know about Triumphs , apparently 3.63:1 is the way to start!

2)
The exhaust i've got fitted is one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-INCH-75m...-/160673460793

and IT'S A BIT LOUD!!

So after taking my son for a drive and him sitting there with his fingers in his ears for the entire trip , i've relented and decided to do something about it

So i've just purchased a bolt in baffle from Car Builder Solutions:
http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/product/B..._Baffle_SILBAF
And hopefully i can tone it down a bit, without turning it into a "sensible" car
Old 18th May 2012, 20:35

I know it's tempting to go with a LOUD exhaust, loads of auxilliary gauges, banks of illuminated switches etc, but, sometimes, less is more, particularly when the basic design of the Sammio is so striking anyway. It really doesn't need loads of bling and blare to make it stand out. A standard stainless exhaust on an old engine sounds pretty fruity and better than just about any modern car to my ears, while I think the overdone dashboard has been, well, overdone by all the squadrons of sevens and cohorts of cobra clones anyway.

Still, each to their own but I think you've made the right decision in quieting down the exhaust.
Old 23rd May 2012, 18:46

Whoo Hoo!! Used the Spyder for the daily commute and nothing broke, fell off or blew up

I did a slightly altered route and rather than just M5 all the way it turned out to be 36 miles either way on mainly A and B roads with a 10 mile stretch of the M5 at Bristol.

The car was SUPERB! I'm still not fully used to it, so the M5 was a bit interesting (Squeeky-bum-time in rush hour traffic!) and i admit to hiding in the slipstream of a friendly Tesco lorry while i got used to how it felt in "big boy traffic" on the way in this morning

What was a nice warm breeze from the exhaust in the winter did make things quite..... toasty on the way home in the 24 degree sunshine.

I also stopped on the way back to meet up with Lee (a prospective Sammio owner) and it was nice to see an un-Sammio'd Herald roll in

Next trip i think should be southbound to see if i can find and other Sammios "in the wild"
Old 23rd May 2012, 19:58

fordjps78 is on a distinguished road
Default Allington Classic car show A420 Chippenham, this Sunday

Classic car show 11-5 this Sunday, free entry for classic cars. Anyone fancy it I wil be there Sammio 48.
Old 23rd May 2012, 21:14

leebristol is on a distinguished road

Was nice to meet you Dave and see a Sammio in the flesh,
Makes me wanna get the angle grinder out now!!! but will hang on till october and keep saving.
Old 24th May 2012, 21:42

leebristol is on a distinguished road

Managed to get them in the same pic aswell.
Old 24th May 2012, 22:20

Before and after

I thought it was ace that when I was talking to you that old guy drove up, stopped and got out with a camera and then started photographing your Herald! He would have had a breakdown if we'd told him what you were considering
Old 27th May 2012, 10:51

After much reading over on Club Triupmph (they really are VERY....... knowledgable ) i finally figured out what was wrong with my fuel gauge.

When i bought my donor it didn't come with any instruments, which wasn't a biggie, so i had to by a set from Spritfire Graveyard and fit them myself.
As i had the alternator conversion i mistakenly assumed i didn't need the Voltage Stabiliser that is bolted to the back of the speedo so i took it off

After a quick check with the beard-farm (this term is meant in the nicest possible way as i am in awe at some of the things they know!) , i realised that this is actually needed! And i've just put it back in and the fuel gauge is now working fine!

Although i'll have to take her for a blat later on to double check how the temp gauge is now working. I wonder if i can make it as far as Cullompton?

Last edited by davecymru; 27th May 2012 at 10:53..
Old 27th May 2012, 11:27

I do sympathise with your instrument predicament - although my donor came with a standard set of Vitesse dials I removed the fuel and temperature gauges without bothering to see if I could remember how to reconnect them , and neither the speedo nor the rev counter worked: both had broken drive cables, but both the gearbox speedo output spindle thingy and the rev counter input had broken drive cable ends jammed in them so new cables wouldn't fit. I managed to drill and pull out the gearbox one but my attempt to do the same with the rev counter was only partially successful. It does work but I think it might wear the end of the drive cable prematurely as there's only a couple of mm of the cable engaging. I'm guessing I'll probably have to replace the rev counter sooner rather than later.

Phil J dropped by in his 2500 powered BRG Spyder this morning btw, and reports that a few changes have transformed his car for the better - a thicker anti-roll bar on the front (his donor started life as a Herald van, so had a really thin one fitted) has sharpened up the driving experience while balancing the prop-shaft with a jubilee clip (!) has made it much smoother. Seeing you guys on the road in your finished cars really does spur those of us with unfinished projects on to complete ours.

Anyway, looking forward to your next update - this running report doodad is a great idea.
Old 27th May 2012, 16:57

Patton is on a distinguished road

Dave, the old road is much better Skippy has yet to venture onto a motorway the A303 dual is the biggest road yet, I can meet you half way if you like, I'm on hand signals at the mo till the flasher unit turns up and I'm going to head Barnstaple way also, but as always weather and work dictates regards, PAT
Old 27th May 2012, 17:41

I did the Glastonbury / Shepton / Mendips / Cheddar Gorge, triangle in the end and it's a good job i'd put sun scream on before i left! I was almost looking for roads with tree cover towards the end as it was a bit toasty.

Also after weeks of thinking that I'm running a bit hot, and that the new thermostat i bought made it run too hot. Now the Voltage Stabilizer is in place i actually think I'm running a bit cool and that the new thermostat was working properly. ho hum

Pat - If you're around over the long weekend i may pop down? I wonder if Mulberry is going to be around as well? We could have a 3 Sammio run out and meet up somewhere central to us all? Would that be the largest non-factory gathering yet?
Old 27th May 2012, 17:42

mulberry is on a distinguished road

pat

there is vintage and classic car show next saturday/sunday near south molton, we are going along with sammio. would be great if there was two there .....
Old 27th May 2012, 17:43

oh and you dave....
Old 27th May 2012, 20:47

oh.... thanks.

What day are you going on? I'm off to the Royal Bath & West show on the Sat, but i may pop down on the Sunday. Do you have to pre-book?
Old 28th May 2012, 08:53

dave it be really nice to meet up with you anyway.we will be attending both days.you could try and pre book .http://www.smoltonvintagerally.co.uk/.

or you can try and ring this lady "chairman"

liz quick 01271 850903
Old 28th May 2012, 10:03

"must be in possession of PUBLIC LIABILITY INSURANCE"! blimey, health-n-safety-tastic! That rules me out then
Old 28th May 2012, 21:15

dave you find most car insurance have "public liability insurance". i asked aplan ,when i took mine out with them, and chris said i was covered for publc liability..
Old 29th May 2012, 07:32

Well you learn something new every day! I'll have a look tonight.

If i am coming down i may also have a tidy up behind my seats as it's quite amazing how much "stuff" you can cram behind them!
Old 29th May 2012, 08:46

the room behind my seats is what i call my tool box. spanners,screwdrivers, water, ptfe tape, zip ties, oh and last but not least 1 "blow up passenger doll"