Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 11th June 2012, 21:30

Tribute Automotive is on a distinguished road
Default New Version of MX250 based of Mk2 MX5

We have had quite a few enquiries from from people wanting to use the newer Mk2 MX5 as the base car for our body conversion, so off I went and bought a very cheap Mk2 with a smoking habit. Having given it to a third party to fix the problem, which to be fair they did as it no longer smokes, it now sounds like a diesel due to incorrectly assembled top end!

So, with the Newark Show deadline getting close I decided to buy another Mk2 with tax and MOT to meet that deadline, as we wanted to take the Mk1 Demo car and an unfinished car to illustrate the build process.

Starting last Friday (8th) we drove the car into the workshop and whilst Dan stripped the car ready for the body conversion, I fabricated the shell brace/roll bar. Note the lips of the rear wheel arches are rolled out to increase tyre clearance.

No progress over the weekend, but today (Monday) we started again on the car, fitting the rollcage first.

Next we bonded on the top mounting panel/parcel shelf.

Next we fitted the lower mounting panel/boot extender, this had to be shortened as we discovered that the Mk2 rear panel is 2.5" further back than the Mk1's.

The paint was then removed from channel at the top of the windscreen frame, before being having 2-part expoxy adhesive applied.

We then hung the rear section of the body onto the car.

Once in place metal plates need to be bonded and riveted into the doorshut/windscreen head area.

Because the Mk2's outer skin is a different shape to the Mk1's we have had to trim back and add some relief cuts into the fibreglass to adjust its shape. It was then bonded on and will be riveted every few inches.

More progress tomorrow, ready to drive to Newark on Friday afternoon.
Available from eBay
Old 12th June 2012, 06:56

williammcloughlin is on a distinguished road

Looking good Chris!! I am looking froward to cracking on with the MK2 (Prob around end of this month)
Old 12th June 2012, 07:19

williammcloughlin is on a distinguished road

Hey Chris, dont bid on this 290726900548 im buying it for my next project if the price stays right! ha
Old 12th June 2012, 08:47

seanick is on a distinguished road

Dont you ever sleep!
Old 12th June 2012, 21:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanick View Post
Dont you ever sleep!
Sleep? He hasn't got time for such luxuries! Neither have I, more photo's to follow.

BTW Nick, I am going to do a colour change in Photoshop of the demo car for another customer, what colour do you want yours in?
Old 12th June 2012, 21:22

More good progress today, front end bonded on and wheel arches extended in readiness of bigger wheels.

Rear lights on and working.

Front lights on in the morning then off for a quick drive......
Old 12th June 2012, 21:37

mulberry is on a distinguished road

thats a great looking kit chris, ive just finished a sammio build. now just got tell the mrs you got a old classic with a roof..wot rear glass do you fit ?
Old 12th June 2012, 22:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribute Automotive View Post
Sleep? He hasn't got time for such luxuries! Neither have I, more photo's to follow.

BTW Nick, I am going to do a colour change in Photoshop of the demo car for another customer, what colour do you want yours in?
I flip between red, because the demo looks so good, my fave colour BRG , or a confusing dark silver. Depends on what doner I end up with. I have never sprayed metallic (not many boats are!), so silver may need some practice.
Other thoughts....I have seen some pics of 250's with closed front triple vents, with dezus fasteners. Barely visible at a glance, but sort of still there.
Must say I thought your photoshopped headlight covers were rather good.
Finally do you reckon optimum wheel tyre width as per your previous post? I am thinking 14" with 70 or 80 profile tyres. Widths seem tricky to find, how about same rims different width tyres (min to max permissible width)?
Nick

Whoops just seen your post to Billy. Will av a look. 16s!

Last edited by seanick; 12th June 2012 at 22:17..
Old 12th June 2012, 22:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulberry View Post
thats a great looking kit chris, ive just finished a sammio build. now just got tell the mrs you got a old classic with a roof..wot rear glass do you fit ?
Its Renault 5, phase 2.
The weather recently has made me want a car with a roof....!
Old 12th June 2012, 23:27

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulberry View Post
Thanks Mulberry, buy your wife one too!

As Nick said, the rear glass and rubber is Renault 5. Just picked up 10 tonight, although 4 have homes to go to already. I had a Nissan Micra in the workshop the other day and the rear screen looks like another option.
Old 13th June 2012, 05:47

Patton is on a distinguished road

Mulberry Gary, Lizzie has already got her eye on one, she saw it at stoneleigh no convincing required does look nice called in last Saturday with Gary they only a few miles from Sammio, PAT
Old 13th June 2012, 08:21

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

Whats interesting Chris , is the amount of Sammio-ists that are showing an interest in your car.......I wonder if its the same retro race car feel , the ease of build , the price , the similar ethos and attitude towards kit building we both have , dunno , maybe a combination of all of that...

Maybe you should bring one along to our little gathering at the end of the month !
Old 13th June 2012, 08:45

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

I think that's exactly it Gary. Low costs, simplicity, retro looks and no IVA! Two very similar concepts.

As I'd never really been a fan of the 250 GTO shape (most beautiful car in the world? Really?) my interest is in a self built good looking weather resistant daily driver that won't cost the earth to build and run. The Tribute MX250 could well fit the bill, but, when funds allow, a Cordite with doors, no humps, a 356 glass windscreen and folding hood to match might just win me over.

Anyway, it's nice to see another company picking up the baton and selling good old fashioned kits that cost less to build than a four year old Fiesta, instead of more than an entry level Audi.
Old 13th June 2012, 23:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot link View Post
Whats interesting Chris , is the amount of Sammio-ists that are showing an interest in your car.......I wonder if its the same retro race car feel , the ease of build , the price , the similar ethos and attitude towards kit building we both have , dunno , maybe a combination of all of that...

Maybe you should bring one along to our little gathering at the end of the month !
As you have always said Gary the Sammio range and the MX250 are very different products, different decade for inspiration, different build process, very different base vehicle, open top vs hard top etc. But it would appear that, despite this, they both seem to be of interest to similar people. Like you say it must be the broader appeal of the period race image, quick and easy building, and cost that makes the MX250 of interest to the Sammio family.

Sorry that I can't come along to your gathering at the end of the month, but I will be on a much needed sunny holiday. Dan might bring a car along though.
Old 14th June 2012, 00:09

Default Count down to Newark.........

Nearly there with the Mk2 build. Just needs boot latching, filler cap fitting and a bit more filling/sanding before the drive to Newark. Had a quick drive late this afternoon, got a few looks when in convoy!

Old 14th June 2012, 06:03

Roadster is on a distinguished road

what colour for number 2 Chris?
Old 14th June 2012, 08:27

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

To me the wheels on the mk2 suit the car much better. The set on your red car are nice, don't get me wrong, but I just feel they look that bit too modern, like they belong on a 90's 348 or Mondial rather than a sixties GTO. Just my two new pennies worth.
Old 14th June 2012, 08:57

The two that got away from the Jubilee convoy????
Or
The Italian Job, minus one!
Nice wheels too!
Old 14th June 2012, 19:33

Retroground is on a distinguished road

Nice one Chris, our test example is going nicely as well. Greeting from Polish garage! Car is off to the painters now, I have sent you two emails as well, have a look Chris.

Two days ago, still with shit looking wipers but this has been modified so we retained original arms (technical inspection reasons):

Last edited by Retroground; 14th June 2012 at 19:36..
Old 14th June 2012, 21:44

Default Hello Poland!

Hi Jan

Great to see you are getting on so well, please post more pictures when you can.

I have just checked my mailbox, sorry it was full up! In answer to your question about wheel sizes it looks like your car has the maximum width on the front (9 inch?) and the rear arch will, in theory take an 11 inch wide rim with the correct offset and tyre size, but I cannot say 100% without trying a wheel on the car. I will do some accurate measurements when I am back from Newark Show.

What colour are you having the car painted?