Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 29th March 2012, 22:20
Enthusiast

GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road
Default Polishing the Grill Mesh

Hi chaps,

I've has all my stainless steel bright work professionally polished by the chap who made my washer fluid tank. It's all come out really nice, with a very bright mirror like finish to it. That is all of it bar the grill.

It's shiny-ish, but not to the same standard as the plate and tube that's been done. I assume it must be down to the thin wire it's made out of, and the size of the mops used.

Can anyone suggest how to get a better finish on it? I seem to recall Robin got good results, but how?

Ta,

Jason
Available from eBay
Old 30th March 2012, 08:17
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatOldOne View Post
Hi chaps,

I've has all my stainless steel bright work professionally polished by the chap who made my washer fluid tank. It's all come out really nice, with a very bright mirror like finish to it. That is all of it bar the grill.

It's shiny-ish, but not to the same standard as the plate and tube that's been done. I assume it must be down to the thin wire it's made out of, and the size of the mops used.

Can anyone suggest how to get a better finish on it? I seem to recall Robin got good results, but how?

Ta,

Jason
I bought a polishing kit (Ebay?) And then it was just elbow grease. The finish is shiny but darker than a mirror finish. I suspect similar to the reult that you have.

Cheers, Robin
Old 30th March 2012, 08:57
Enthusiast

Ah.

I'll have another go this weekend with my small mops, and see if I can improve on it. If not, I'll see if I can get it chromed.
Old 30th March 2012, 09:02

Spannerman is on a distinguished road

How about electropolishing?
Old 30th March 2012, 09:27
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatOldOne View Post
Hi chaps,

Ta,

Jason
Could it just be the way the light falls on the different angles and the weave compared to bigger flatter surfaces?

Like Robin, I polished my grille with a polishing kit, and like Robin I'd say "Effort = Reward" when it comes to getting a shiney finish.
One thing that does help at the end is to use some lime powder - came as part of my kit - it removes the waxy residue from polishing, leaving a very clean surface.

The attached photo does not do the mesh justice - it looks quite flat in the photo, but perhaps that is just the point, thin woven mesh perhaps does not throw the light in the same way?

Old 30th March 2012, 13:54
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spannerman View Post
How about electropolishing?
The only electropolishing outfit I've managed to find what 60 quid do it.... I think I'll have another crack first.