Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Dino 246 Builds and Discussion

Dino 246 Builds and Discussion Da da da da daaa daa da da, ohoho Dino

Closed Thread

Old 11th April 2009, 21:14
Big Cheese

JG has disabled reputation
Default New Forum for Dino 246 owners, builders etc

By popular demand this is now the new section for Dino owners, builders and followers.

It's all yours so over to you

Cheers, John

Last edited by madaboutadmin; 12th April 2009 at 00:19..
Available from eBay
Old 25th June 2011, 01:11

nostraloom is on a distinguished road
Default classic replicas

Hi there! Some time ago I posted a request for any info on the classic replicas product, because I was interested in buying a kit and having it sent to the USA. I see that since that time, some others have had some bad experiences and posted them here, although very little specific info. I decided to purchase the kit anyway. It was received stateside in Sept, 2010. I would first like to say that the people of Classic Replicas have always been very helpful, although not always the fastest in getting back to me. More recently, they have made a huge improvement in this matter, and usually get back to me within 24 hours. I know that there is some speculation about the origin of the body molds they use, and I have to admit that the pictures on his web site look alot like deons, however the body that I received looks considerable different, particularly around the quarter glass which is recessed and the roof over it, which carries the rain gutter lines like the original. I will admit that the nose of the car is lower than it should be, but it may be that whatever car it was molded from had been hit in the front at some time. ( I don't imagine that many dino owners with imaculate cars have ever offered to have their cars splashed with fiberglass. Any way, I am generally pleased with what I got. According to Gordon, He is in the process of making new moulds, which is entirely possible given that he has a dino gts in his shop. Certainly this would enable him to make a perfect copy. I was at his shop last March and saw the dino he has. It is clear that Gordon is working hard to improve his product. It has changed considerably over time. Last year, he redesigned his frame to closely resemble a dino frame. I believe that mine was the first of them ( I saw my frame right next to the dino frame in his shop. He also now uses floorpans and bulkheads copied from the original. I would like to encourage people to go to his shop and see what he is doing over there. Is his product perfect? No. But his effort is showing and I think his product is promising. I wish Gordon would post some pictures of his more recent stuff on his web site.I am certainly willing to send some of my pictures if anyone is interested. I will glad talk to anyone interested via my email at nostraloom@yahoo.com.
Old 25th June 2011, 10:18

simmos is on a distinguished road

Hi, Could you please tell the forum how much in total you payed in USD for the Classic Replicas kit including shipping to the US and import duty?

Also what the kit included?

Over to you
Old 27th June 2011, 00:51

Default Shipping a C.R. Dino to USA

Hi there! I was able to choose the individual parts that I wanted. I bought a complete body, frame, suspension and brakes. I also bought the glass, pedal assembly, all hinges, and tail lights.I know that classic Replicas is in the process of changing the pricing on his web site.The C.R. web site lists each part individually. I know that the exchange rate has changed considerably since then, so I don't know what good it would do for anyone to know what I paid. It did cost me about $2200.00 to ship plus an extra $1000.00 to have it trucked from the port because special trucking permits were required to pick it up with my own flatbed truck and I wasn't prepared for this. Ports other than New York may be different. JG
Old 27th June 2011, 18:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostraloom View Post
Hi there! I was able to choose the individual parts that I wanted. I bought a complete body, frame, suspension and brakes. I also bought the glass, pedal assembly, all hinges, and tail lights.I know that classic Replicas is in the process of changing the pricing on his web site.The C.R. web site lists each part individually. I know that the exchange rate has changed considerably since then, so I don't know what good it would do for anyone to know what I paid. It did cost me about $2200.00 to ship plus an extra $1000.00 to have it trucked from the port because special trucking permits were required to pick it up with my own flatbed truck and I wasn't prepared for this. Ports other than New York may be different. JG

Thanks for your reply.

I am interested to know for the full fibre glass body and panels, chassis, suspension, brakes, glass, pedal asse, hinges and tail lights what did you pay in GBP or USD please?
Old 27th July 2011, 16:56

Inspace is on a distinguished road
Default interesting

Quote:
Hi there! Some time ago I posted a request for any info on the classic replicas product, because I was interested in buying a kit and having it sent to the USA. I see that since that time, some others have had some bad experiences and posted them here, although very little specific info. I decided to purchase the kit anyway. It was received stateside in Sept, 2010. I would first like to say that the people of Classic Replicas have always been very helpful, although not always the fastest in getting back to me. More recently, they have made a huge improvement in this matter, and usually get back to me within 24 hours. I know that there is some speculation about the origin of the body molds they use, and I have to admit that the pictures on his web site look alot like deons, however the body that I received looks considerable different, particularly around the quarter glass which is recessed and the roof over it, which carries the rain gutter lines like the original. I will admit that the nose of the car is lower than it should be, but it may be that whatever car it was molded from had been hit in the front at some time. ( I don't imagine that many dino owners with imaculate cars have ever offered to have their cars splashed with fiberglass. Any way, I am generally pleased with what I got. According to Gordon, He is in the process of making new moulds, which is entirely possible given that he has a dino gts in his shop. Certainly this would enable him to make a perfect copy. I was at his shop last March and saw the dino he has. It is clear that Gordon is working hard to improve his product. It has changed considerably over time. Last year, he redesigned his frame to closely resemble a dino frame. I believe that mine was the first of them ( I saw my frame right next to the dino frame in his shop. He also now uses floorpans and bulkheads copied from the original. I would like to encourage people to go to his shop and see what he is doing over there. Is his product perfect? No. But his effort is showing and I think his product is promising. I wish Gordon would post some pictures of his more recent stuff on his web site.I am certainly willing to send some of my pictures if anyone is interested. I will glad talk to anyone interested via my email at nostraloom@yahoo.com.
Hi Nostraloom,
Sounds like you may be the missing happy customer. Those bad comments you mention that have been posted that aren't so specific! Maybe I can help you with that. This company has at least 2 other customers money, Large sums of Money. £10,000 +. They have not produced cars for them and in fact refuse to complete the cars. They have given endless deadlines and not achieved them. They do not want to communicate but simply offer a non descript part built car for these customers to take away at their own expense. Another customer took the offer of the part built car as he wanted to own a Dino. He has not yet got it on the road and says it cost a fortune to correct it. Modifying the front & rear suspension. I know customers now are not getting replies to their emails in 24 hrs so you are very lucky and to speak to Gordon himself I would say priviliged.
You say you received your kit in Sept 2010, again very lucky because the company went into liquidation in 11th May 2010 (easily checked at companies house mate) But luckily for you they started again with the same guy running the show in Nov 2010. Yes you guessed it Gordon Ainsby. So I guess you wouldn't notice the difference.
So you came and visited the shop did you, when was that exactly?
I would love to see a picture of your finished car, why don't you post it, even with the droopy nose I am sure it looks great. Come on!
Gordons original Dino, you saw that too are you saying, the one he has taken new moulds from. Wow, I wish I could have been there with you.
Did you order all your parts on line then or from a parts catologue? When it came to building your car did you have a build manual? If you have photo's of the build we would really love to see that?
How did you overcome USA immisions was that hard?
Must dash but I am really looking forward to speaking to you again.
One last thing did Classic Replicas 02 (not 07 or 09) get all the parts to you or did you have to source the mechanics yourself?
I just wondered because it would be expensive to ship a second hand engine when you had a lot of donor's there.
Old 27th July 2011, 21:05

[QUOTE=Inspace;22092]Hi Nostraloom,
You say you received your kit in Sept 2010, again very lucky because the company went into liquidation in 11th May 2010 (easily checked at companies house mate) But luckily for you they started again with the same guy running the show in Nov 2010. Yes you guessed it Gordon Ainsby.

Would Classic Replicas AKA Gordon Ainsby have deliberately liquidated the company because of multiple ripped off customers taking them to court, then started it again?
Old 19th July 2011, 17:59

controls boy is on a distinguished road

Hi I am thinking of purchasing a Dino 246 GTS replica .
There appears to be some negative comments surrounding Classic Replicas.
Before I go any further could someone who has bought a replica from Classic Replicas tell me about there experiences.

It will be appreciated

Thanks

Controls Boy
Old 19th July 2011, 20:08

MrBojangles is on a distinguished road

Try checking other related threds on this forum there are alot about Classic Replicas.
Also a new company (Dehavilland Motor Company) that has just started have been following them on facebook as they dont have a website yet as they are in the process of building the first demo. Looks like someone has been to see them so you might want to PM them regarding this new company.

Hope this helps
Old 21st July 2011, 20:26

Default Classic replicas

Hi there! If you are interested in CLassic Replicas, you should look at what I already posted. As I have said, I am generally happy with my stuff. As I see it, their product seems to be getting better and better. I think it may be important to realise that (1) they are a small company, and (2) they probably get more of their share of inquiries of a less than serious nature. It may be a daunting task to handle all the emails and phone calls. That said, I realise that this all comes with the territory. I can't comment of the cars they build because I bought a kit. The body I got was well crafted, although some bodywork will be required before I can paint it.The fiberglass is of fairly consistant thickness throughout. I think that it would be helpful to have a working knowledge of autobody repair in order to build this kit yourself. The chassis seems very well crafted. I would encourage a visit to their shop. / Nostraloom
Old 22nd July 2011, 17:27

[QUOTE=nostraloom;22051]Hi there! If you are interested in CLassic Replicas.

Apparently nobodyn is
Old 25th July 2011, 22:27

Quote:
Hi there! If you are interested in CLassic Replicas, you should look at what I already posted. As I have said, I am generally happy with my stuff. As I see it, their product seems to be getting better and better. I think it may be important to realise that (1) they are a small company, and (2) they probably get more of their share of inquiries of a less than serious nature. It may be a daunting task to handle all the emails and phone calls. That said, I realise that this all comes with the territory. I can't comment of the cars they build because I bought a kit. The body I got was well crafted, although some bodywork will be required before I can paint it.The fiberglass is of fairly consistant thickness throughout. I think that it would be helpful to have a working knowledge of autobody repair in order to build this kit yourself. The chassis seems very well crafted. I would encourage a visit to their shop. / Nostraloom
I asked you a simple question, how much did you pay for the Classic Replicas kit and what did that include?
Old 27th July 2011, 22:58

Simmos,
I cannot say why someone would liquidate a company 2 times within such a short period of business and then start the same company up again. I just know it is fact as it is for public viewing on companies house website.
I am kind of surprised that Nostraloom has had no issues. Maybe those other customers are wrong and Companies house has their facts wrong on the public website. I am sure when Nostraloom has a moment he might have some explanation why Classic Replicas & Gordon Ainsby would do this.
Even just by showing us shots of his car and maybe giving us some specifics apart from just saying how the company has been good to him. I was hoping he might have come back to us already!
Are there any UK customers with a Classic Replicas Dino that is willing to speak about how good this company is? I would be happy to listen.
Old 28th July 2011, 01:04

dino_gt is on a distinguished road

Hi Everybody;

I´d like to say that I also checked some time ago in companies house that Classic Replicas was liquidated and restarted with a different name "classic replicas 09". Everybody can check for themselves this by entering in their website. I was also surprised that there´s (at least) one happy customer who have dealt with this company. However, I do also think he was lucky and that he received a kit which was not perfect, as he says.

One thing to be precise; Classic replicas has an orginal dino in his workshop (or has had), it´s true, but the kits they have been selling are based on the Deon, both bodywork and chassis.

I also would like to find a happy customer who has received a fully built car from this company. I´m afraid there isn´t any.
people must know what´s going on with this guy and what he has done and what he has done must not be forgotten.

What is being said on this website is true. If you check this forum for example, you´ll find more people who had problems with this company, apart from bikidude, inspace and me: dino GT. So at least 4 people have experienced the misfortune of dealing with Mr. Gordon Ainsby who has nothing else to say here since I encouraged him here to tell his side. Nothing happens. I´d also like to see these people reappearing here and telling their story.

By now, there´s enough information for anybody who wants to buy a dino replica from classic replicas about what to expect. I´d only say that it is a horrible situation having paid so many money to someone who does not even answer your phone calls while is liquidating his company. You feel like rubbish.

If Mr. Ainsby goes on like this, someone will probably hit him with a baseball bat in the head someday, because not everybody is so patience... People must know that, if buying a car from CR, you will probably be entering in a non ending road, not knowing what is going to happen next, thinking that you have lost your money, that you were a fool to trust Gordon Ainsby: This is how he works and what he´s been doing.

It might have been different for you notraloom, i´m glad for that, but we weren´t that lucky.

cheers

Dino_GT
Old 28th July 2011, 18:12

thecarbuilder246 is on a distinguished road

hi all
it's a shame to hear all these sorry stories.reading every ones accounts on here reminds me of the situation I found myself in many years ago with deon.
it seems classic replicas have not only copied the deon replica but also the way they did business. there was a story doing the rounds of a deon that was sold to several people and just painted a different colour if any one of them was visiting to see how the build was going.All was ok until one customer turned up unexpectedly and his so called car was the wrong colour!. sounds like cr is doing the same.
My car (deon dgt) is still to be finished
Old 28th July 2011, 22:43

Default classic replicas

Hello there! Just a few things. I am not sure how to post pictures on this forum, but I will share pics of what I got throught email at nostraloom@yahoo.com. The car is not anything near done, as I am taking my time to do the thing right. I am raising the nose to where it should be and re-contouring the hood to match which is taking some effort, but which is almost done. The results are definitely worth it. In response to a few questions, I didn't buy anything from Classic Replicas that was drivetrain related because U. S. Customs would certainly not allow this. It would have been classified as a complete car, and would have to comply with all new car regulations. I bought all the chassis and suspension and body parts and some trim pieces and glass. I visited Gordon at his shop in March 2010, and He put me up free of charge in a hotel which was very nice. The dino he had in his shop at that time was a gts, which clearly was in the middle of a restoration, as all the parts for it were scattered around his shop. He was copying the frame which was exposed in what was a completely stripped car. Besides mine, he had another frame completed of the same design which was apparently for the next customer. I am fairly sure that shortly after I got my stuff, he had this other car in the works (I have pictures of that car which he sent me to answer a question about bulkheads). I could see in that short time, he had made improvements that wern't on my car. I have had several older kit cars which had been half completed and which didn't come with manuals to build from. I didn't get a manual with this one, but thats part of the fun of building a car, to build it the way you want to do it, isn't it? I never asked for one. Anyway, Even though I am pleased with my car parts, I am sorry for anyone who hasn't been. I see great potential in my car and am happy that I bought it. I have loved the shape of the Dino ever since I saw one, and this is so much better than a Kelmark.////Nostraloom.
Old 29th July 2011, 00:28

Hello there;

Everybody is free to express their opinion here but I´d like to make some things clear, and I wouldn´t like to disturb anyone.

1. I also believe my car has got a lot of potential, even though I have contributed to it myself more than Mr. Gordon Ainsby did.

2. I also have fun building my car and I know I can do it without a building manual

3. I also love the dino very much, in fact this is the reason why I bought it and came through all I came through with classic replicas.

4. I also ordered a kit, because I had the engine and gearbox and the rest of the mechanic parts ready to be fitted (this also of course because I spent so much time waiting for Gordon to finish his job)

5. I could also post some pictures of my car here so everybody can see what Classic replicas gave me and I have pictures of other cars as well in the same state.

What we are talking about here is that:

1. You have several responsabilities when you run a public company that you just can´t avoid.

2. If there is a clearly dishonorable management of a company, not a single mistake, performed by his owner, then the customers who have suffered it themselves have the right to make their experiences public so everybody can appreciate the negative and potential risk they could be involved in if they decide to deal with this company.

3. Even though you can do right some times, doesn´t mean that, if you did very wrong in the past, that is over and nothing happens. These people, as managers of their companies, must accept their responsability and the possible impact of the bad press their acts can produce.

4. When you receive and order, as many people may know, you have to deal with hiring professionals to do the technical job, you need to control the costs the order is going to take, you need to meet certain deadlines and you have to be very professional with your customers and, of course, with all of them and not only a few.

5. The fact that you don´t find many dino replica manufacturers in the market, does not justify an amateur approach to what is, in fact, a public company and, therefore, a business created to make money as final purpose, and not only because you love the dino.

6. I want to make clear that i´m not an unhappy customer with an unfinished building, who does not have the skills to do it, but just the opposite and that I will finish my car successfully with the help of some friends and other people.

7. The reason why I write these lines is because everybody must know what happened with several, not just me, customers who bought cars or kits from classic replicas.

One thing to think about: If classic replicas was a trustful company, wouldn´t this part of the forum be a place where happy customers were talking about their buildings of dino replicas, sharing information, etc, and nothing else?

I know that Mr.Gordon Ainsby can be a kind person, but I also know he can be very different.

I really wish bikidude and inspace get what they deserve and Mr Gordon Ainsby as well.

It is of course a different wish for the first two than for the last one.
Cheers.

Dino_GT
Old 29th July 2011, 02:00

Default Classic Replicas

I am not ashamed to have said that I am happy with my purchase. I have no more to say on the subject. I will continue to frquent this site to see what other people are doing with the cars they are building. I shouldn't have to be made to feel like a criminal because I had a good experience. I do wish everyone well.// Nostraloom
Old 15th February 2012, 22:10

Hi there inspace;

It could be interesting to put on here some pictures of your car so people can see for themselves its state and appreciate better what you are talking about.
I believe that 3,000 is a possible price even though someone could think at first it´s too low. I think it´s possible because I think i know what the car looks like...

Looking forward to see that website.

cheers

Dino_gt
Old 15th February 2012, 22:19

Wink

Good idea, I will post tomorrow.
Closed Thread